Menu

S/O what's funny in your neighborhood?

We have a park dubbed by some "stripper park." we have the distinction of being within a .5-2 miles of 4 of the handful adult dance venues in the city. There are a fair number of women, many moms, who work at these places in the residential area we live. The area is mixed income and quite diverse and the little city park was overlooked by park levy after park levy. The dancers got together and donated the money for a brand new playground. My kids play there most everyday. It's one of the first parks here that became ADA accessible and had a swing for children with the muscle tone to use the standard swings.

It's not in my neighborhood but on the way but there is a house with 2 Red Bull vending machines on their front porch. For several months they had one and then one day a second one joined in. We almost all broke our necks that day by looking and shouting, "They've got another machine!". It's the same 2 machines and they don't appear to be hooked up. Drives me crazy wondering "why???" :)

Oh, then we have the neighbor who is on a mission to get rid of every tree in the neighborhood so that there is no chance any can ever fall on his house. He is very upset by our 70 year old maple. [/size][/color]

After a tree crushed my house I'm thinking the old guy isn't so nuts. If it hit any other corner of the house it would've smashed someone's bedroom instead of our bathrooms. I now eye the remaining trees with suspicion and would like to take them down. Our tree was a giant, healthy oak and it just fell over from ground saturation.

Our neighborhood has a Bike Guy. He rides around town on a bike year-round and often wears a spartan helmet. Sometimes he stops by the library and uses the computers or just organizes things.

Edited by KungFuPanda

We live out in the country and have an interesting neighbor. She wants everyone to stay off her property. Okay, we can handle that.

Then she visited us to let us know that a black cat walked by her porch and upset her cat. And she had heard we had black cats, so she was giving us notice that if it happened again she would shoot our cat. She was dubbed, "The Grouchy Old Lady", after that.

Interestingly enough, when our dog ran down the road and into her yard we got a friendly phone call. When we went down to pick him up they were nice as could be about it.

Seems to me that an 85 lb dog would be more of a threat to her precious kitty, but I guess not!

Our one lane, dirt road used to be a goat path. Literally. I have first time visitors call me All The Time and assume they are lost. i will open my front door, listen, and either say, "I hear you! Just keep coming," or "I don't hear you. What is around you right now?". I can always figure out were they are and I will usually go find them on the 4-wheeler and lead them to my house.:D

We live out in the country and have an interesting neighbor. She wants everyone to stay off her property. Okay, we can handle that.

Then she visited us to let us know that a black cat walked by her porch and upset her cat. And she had heard we had black cats, so she was giving us notice that if it happened again she would shoot our cat. She was dubbed, "The Grouchy Old Lady", after that.

Interestingly enough, when our dog ran down the road and into her yard we got a friendly phone call. When we went down to pick him up they were nice as could be about it.

Seems to me that an 85 lb dog would be more of a threat to her precious kitty, but I guess not!

Our neighborhood cat lady fussed at the kids in the cul-de-sac for paying too loudly and disturbing her cats' nap time. Can you REALLY put cats on a schedule???

The bar down the street has regulars who blow off illegal fireworks every Saturday night at 11:00. They have been doing this for years. It goes on for five minutes and then they stop. 20 seconds later we hear a cop car approaching at high speed. They never catch them. I guess they wait down the street for the cool show to be over before approaching. It used to bug me but my daughter and I just open the curtains at 10:45 now to watch.

:001_huh::lol:

We have a neighbor we call "Dog Man." Every day, several times a day, he takes his dog out for a short jog. They always go at the same pace, cross the street at the same point in the middle, walk down another street just to one exact point (not the end of the block) then turn around and do it in reverse. Just a moment after he disappears down his street (a cul-de-sac perpendicular to ours, which is why we see all of this) he then drives down the street with his dog in the car, goes around the block and comes back. Occasionally the order is reveresed, but it happens at least two or three times a day.

We have neighborhood bunnies!

Our last neighborhood was not funny, they had a bunch of mean old ladies that glared at even well behaved quiet children, and look out if you made a noise or splashed in the pool or something. We found out after the fact that they had previously banned children but got sued because they weren't a senior community, you can only ban children in senior communities. We check for kid friendly neighborhoods now, one new item on the move requirements.

Luckily, the children they never even noticed the mean old ladies! When we talk about the mean old ladies now, they're confused. (It was a nice neighborhood other than a few cranky old ladies.)

Oh, one of the ladies in our last neighborhood also claimed her dog didn't like men. She never said her dog didn't like children, but she did glare at the children a few times.

Years ago the city lined the streets in our neighborhood with olive trees. Every year my kids join others in harvesting the olives and canning them.

We also have fig trees, lemon trees, and avacado trees on public property within 2 blocks.

Ruth in NZ

We live on a street that has a very steep climb and we live on the top part of the street. From our windows we can see the street and and the bottom of the block and a little ways down, is a private secondary school. They have lots of sports including some where the boys run in the neighborhood for practice. We were used to that. But this spring, we saw a funny= we saw some boys straggling and then they picked up and ran as a car carrying the coach approached up the hill.

Our neighbor across the house lives on a large property with a very long driveway that also has a steep drive. He has a little buggy thing he drives down with the trash can or recycling bins in the wagon it pulls. Never seen anything like that in previous neighborhoods.

We live in the woods but I am so thankful that so far no deer. We do have lots of other animals but deer are so destructive. I am hopeful that because of the strong hunting culture here, the deer may not become a problem.

when we first moved in, it was before we had dc but we had 2 cats that we would take for walks on the access road behind our house. Everybody walks their dogs here. All the neighbors (except one) used to laugh and comment on our trained going for a walk cats. Mr. McGrumpy would come out to his back yard and yell that he was going to call the cops on us for walking our cats. Every day this went on and I would tell him to go ahead and call. Also he would sit by his front window and whenever kids were playing outside he would threaten to call the cops on them. Some dads would tell him to go ahead and call. He either never did or the cops ignored him because they never came out. We also have a cop that lives down the street so maybe he informed the other police not listen to the old grouch. When he finally moved, neighbors (including us) were welcoming the new people as they were moving in. THis was about 16 years ago and they are the best neighbors, love children and animals. Always pleasant as can be. THey did say that McGrumpy was horrible at closing settlement.

Because you know the town, or because you're nearby? Or maybe you're one of the crazy neighbors that I haven't met yet....:tongue_smilie:

We are about an hour away. My youngest sees the awesome allergy doc at the under-construction medical facility down the road from you, so we journey past your street several times a year. I'll wave next time! ;)

Here's the funny thing about my neighbors ... we live in a crazy small town (3000ish people). DH grew up here, his family runs a local business with a ton of people passing through every day. Often, DH says to me "I heard you were at the post office today" or "How was the grocery store?" People are practically reporting my every move around town, but yet nobody says "Hi, Beth!" It's a very odd place to live ... :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Beth.

Me neighbors next door are the butt crack people. The father is always walking around in shorts without a shirt and the top 2-3 inches of his crack showing. :lol: The other day I was out on the patio sorting dirty laundry and I see his two little boys (so cuuuute!) outside playing. The toddler has a soggy diaper that had drooped down and his little baby butt crack was showing. His older brother wouldn't let him inside the playhouse to play so dad had to come out and make him let him in. His butt crack was showing. Then the mom came out wearing workout looking gear like a jogbra type thing and some spandex pants with the elastic waistband rolled down and her butt crack was showing. They just cracked me up. :lol: no pun intended. :p

Edited by Ibbygirl

Me neighbors next door are the butt crack people. The father is always walking around in shorts without a shirt and the top 2-3 inches of his crack showing. :lol: The other day I was out on the patio sorting dirty laundry and I see his two little boys (so cuuuute!) outside playing. The toddler has a soggy diaper that had drooped down and his little baby butt crack was showing. His older brother wouldn't let him inside the playhouse to play so dad had to come out and make him let him in. His butt crack was showing. Then the mom came out wearing workout looking gear like a jogbra type thing and some spandex pants with the elastic waistband rolled down and her butt crack was showing. They just cracked me up. :lol:

Eeeeewww....

Me neighbors next door are the butt crack people. The father is always walking around in shorts without a shirt and the top 2-3 inches of his crack showing. :lol: The other day I was out on the patio sorting dirty laundry and I see his two little boys (so cuuuute!) outside playing. The toddler has a soggy diaper that had drooped down and his little baby butt crack was showing. His older brother wouldn't let him inside the playhouse to play so dad had to come out and make him let him in. His butt crack was showing. Then the mom came out wearing workout looking gear like a jogbra type thing and some spandex pants with the elastic waistband rolled down and her butt crack was showing. They just cracked me up. :lol: no pun intended. :p

:lol: :lol: :lol: They sound lovely :D.

I am living in a southside chicago neighborhood right now that is basically all southside Irish. Nearly all the houses are little brick squares on a tiny lot with only a gangway of space between them. Nearly everyone on this block and the next all play bags (cornhole in some areas) on the weekend. So on any random Saturday night, you'll see bag game after bag game set up on the street or sidewalk (there are no driveways) or in the back alley. And no one would dare to have a Cubs bag game :lol:. That's just asking for it! A lot of families also sign their girls up for Irish dancing lessons, so you also get to see them practicing out on their front walks too.

My husband's brother is getting married this weekend, and what have they been doing the last few nights that cousins have been in town? Playing bags and drinking beer.

ETA: Our neighborhood even has a theme song that's a little out of date. That's pretty funny!

Written by, Tom Black and Terry McEldowney, A.K.A. The Irish Choir

We're the Windy City Irish-where the craic is always best

Where every day is Paddy's Day and everyone's a guest

If you're Irish on the North Side or Irish on the West

Welcome to the South Side come join our Irish Fest!

(Chorus) We're the South Side Irish as our fathers were before

We come from the Windy City and we're Irish to the core

From Bridgeport to Beverly from Midway to South Shore.

We're the South Side Irish-Let's sing it out once more!

Our parents came from Mayo, from Cork and Donegal.

We come from Sabina, St. Kilian's and St. Gall

St. Leo, Visitation, Little Flower and the rest.

The South Side parishes are mighty-they're the best!

Chorus

We live on the South Side-Mayor Daley lived here too

The Greatest Irish Leader that Chicago ever knew

he was always proud of his South Side Irish roots!

So here's to his honor to his memory we'll be true.

Chorus

We sing the songs our fathers sang when they were growing up

Rebel songs of Erin's Isle in South Side Irish Pubs

and when it comes to baseball-we have two favorite clubs

The Go-Go White Sox.. and whoever plays the Cubs!

Edited by prairiebird

hehehehe I'd call them Crackers, but they're not Southern. :p hehehe They are super nice people and the kids are adorable, they're just a little vertically challenged when it comes to their pants. :p

:lol: :lol: You've got to stop it, my kids keep running to see why I'm chuckling so loudly.

Since we're talking about fun unique things about countries and states, what's funny about your neighborhood?

Our postman cusses out the mailboxes as he works. Loudly.

I live in Woodstock, ny.....do I need to say anything else? Where else would you find a crowd of 60 year old hippies having a drum circle every Sunday? Or rainbow VW buses? Or guys walking around with no shirt and waist length hair? Or impromptu jam sessions on the street......lol.

There are invisible musicians under every rock in our neck of the woods. If you go walking on a warm evening in our neighborhood you'll hear live music at some point along almost every single block but it's all just wafting in the wind- you'll never see anyone.

On our block we are the weird ones because our children are often, gasp, outside.

To get to our house we give this as part of the directions:

"turn at the corner where there is the mustard colored house, the fluorescent blue house and the salmon pink house."

We had a visitor come and say, "Um, I thought you were exaggerating when you gave me the directions to your house. You weren't! What were all those people thinking?!"

That is common here too, lol.

Not where we live now, but when we lived in NH we had neighbors that had a long dirt driveway that ran alongside ours. The mom would leave and then return home @ 45-60 minutes later. She'd stay home for @ 10-15 min and then leave again. All day long. She had a large truck so it made a lot of noise when she would leave and return. She worked in town and must of been checking on her dogs or kids, but still, it was so bizarre to leave and come home so many times every single day.

I cannot remember the last time I laughed so hard at a board post. Thank you!!

When we moved into our neighborhood there were already 3 other boys with my youngest sons name. The neighborhood kids nicked name each boy at Big J, Medium J, and Little J. Then ds came along and they decided to call him Tiny J or "TJ" and it has stuck, everyone in the neighborhood refers to him as TJ but now, 7 years later he is the biggest J in the neighborhood not the oldest but the biggest. It's funny to us that every calls him Tiny J or TJ still.

In a neighboring town, we have the tackiest funeral home. It's like a Victorian house, and the trim is painted pink and red, and they decorate the front windows according to season or holiday with things like stuffed bunnies with stuffed carrots, big pouffy paper flowers, mini turquoise Christmas trees, witch dolls around Halloween time, and so on.

I live on our military base and when I'm up at 6:30am (which is rare!) I can hear the reveille. At 4:30pm every day the Star Spangled Banner plays while the flag is taken down on main base. Traffic stops, pedestrians stop while the song plays. If you're at the base pool, you get out and face the direction the flag is in. Basically, if you can hear it, you stop to pay your respect. I love it, makes me feel proud to be an American :)

I live on our military base and when I'm up at 6:30am (which is rare!) I can hear the reveille. At 4:30pm every day the Star Spangled Banner plays while the flag is taken down on main base. Traffic stops, pedestrians stop while the song plays. If you're at the base pool, you get out and face the direction the flag is in. Basically, if you can hear it, you stop to pay your respect. I love it, makes me feel proud to be an American :)

That's awesome. Love it. :)

We share a chainlink fence with a rather large older man who sits on his back porch in tiny shorts and stares into our back yard. They had a house full of furniture on their back porch for weeks. Then they had a backyard sale.....

But apparently DH is the strange one. We have a beautiful garden with raised beds. It took two years for DH to design and build it. He rearranged dirt piles multiple times, turned the dirt, built 14 beds....big project. One day the shirtless neighbor came to see what he had been doing for two years....now they offer to eat our excess....

There is a gentleman down the stret who puts everyone's trash cans away after the trucks come. He also does the yard for our elderly neighbor. One day he was helping her walk to her shed, we were outside, so we talked to them for a bit. He told DH he had been watching to make sure I was still around....he wasn't sure what was happening in our back yard....he thought dh might be burying something or someone :confused:

We share a chainlink fence with a rather large older man who sits on his back porch in tiny shorts and stares into our back yard. They had a house full of furniture on their back porch for weeks. Then they had a backyard sale.....

But apparently DH is the strange one. We have a beautiful garden with raised beds. It took two years for DH to design and build it. He rearranged dirt piles multiple times, turned the dirt, built 14 beds....big project. One day the shirtless neighbor came to see what he had been doing for two years....now they offer to eat our excess....

There is a gentleman down the stret who puts everyone's trash cans away after the trucks come. He also does the yard for our elderly neighbor. One day he was helping her walk to her shed, we were outside, so we talked to them for a bit. He told DH he had been watching to make sure I was still around....he wasn't sure what was happening in our back yard....he thought dh might be burying something or someone :confused:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: sounds like Rear Window. hehehe

Oh my goodness! I had this happen to me! When dh and I would first married, we had a small house with a chain link fence. I made a raised bed in the back yard. About 6 feet long and 3 feet wide. My elderly neighbor in the back insisted that I bring dh out to wave to her. She thought I had done in him in!

We have a wild turkey family that recently moved in. They've come by to visit our chickens.

We have a cat psychologist.

The main street has the same name as the home dh grew up in halfway across the country.

Our streets are twice the width of most neighborhood streets. It's wonderful.

We have a huge beautiful church and convent across the street that takes up half a block. There are no wild parties, no garbage anywhere. Its awesome. They do ring large bronze bells everyday at 7AM, noon, 6PM (?) and 9PM, but its nice.

Oh, I love church bells! I love when I'm driving by the square in our town and the church bells are ringing! Sounds like a wonderful place to live.

Oh, I love church bells! I love when I'm driving by the square in our town and the church bells are ringing! Sounds like a wonderful place to live.

:iagree: Me too. Where I used to live before I got married there was a Luthern Church up the road. On winter and spring days when the weather was nice we would open the windows and I could hear the bells wafting in on the breeze. It was lovely. I used to love to take a nap to that sounds. It's so soothing. :)

In our neighborhood there is a neighbor who has these lawn decorations, made out of large pieces of painted wood: a little boy with his pants down urinating on the lawn, a little girl with her hands to her cheeks because she's so embarrassed by the little boy, and a dog lifting his leg to urinate (this one is labeled "Not here!")

I think the dog is actually in response to a different neighbor who let her dog go on everyone's lawn... but still!

I'm trying to find the humor in it all instead of being mortified when anyone visits.

Another funny I thought about, every morning during the school year there is a caravan out of our neighborhood they follow each other to the schools, drop off their children and20- 30min later they caravan back into the neighborhood. Same thing in the afternoon except sometimes they follow the bus into the neighborhood, I so want to yell out, " Hey, have any of you heard of carpooling???"