Menu

PSAT in 10th grade

Would you have your child do the PSAT in 10th if they are just starting Geometry? Dd is not my math-loving kid, so I have her on an Algebra 1 to Pre-Calculus track for her 4 high school math credits. She tests very well on her ITBS tests (top 1%), so I think I'd like her to have the practice of the PSAT this year before next year when it will really matter. I also hate to set her up for feeling like she can't do it since she won't have much Geometry under her belt.

Thanks for any thoughts, opinions, etc.!

My daughter only took the actual PSAT once and that was in 11th grade; however, she did do practice tests at home under timed conditions. This enabled her to get familiar with the test format and testing conditions. You might consider doing likewise.

Regards,

Kareni

She tests very well on her ITBS tests (top 1%), so I think I'd like her to have the practice of the PSAT this year before next year when it will really matter. I also hate to set her up for feeling like she can't do it since she won't have much Geometry under her belt.

If you have a student who tests well, and who might be a national merit contender, I would recommend signing up for a practice test in 10th. The school testing environment is different from the home/group ITBS setting. The PSAT is cheap and short and will give your dd a good baseline to see what it might take to make it into the national merit scoring-range. :)

Edited by Brigid in NC

If you have a student who tests well, and who might be a national merit contender, I would recommend signing up for a practice test in 10th. The school testing environment is different from the home/group ITBS setting. The PSAT is cheap and short and will give your dd a good baseline to see what it might take to make it into the national merit scoring-range. :)

This, ten thousand times over. Because for a very small number of kids, in a certain set of circumstances, this test can be worth tens of thousands of dollars in merit scholarships at colleges that give a 50% ride to NM Scholars.

:iagree:

You can have her work through a test prep book such as McGraw-Hill (which we found to be very good) that will show her the kinds of geometry questions that will be on the test (it's all practical--no proofs.) She could even learn some of the concepts from the prep book, which may help her feel more confident. Then reassure her that she can just skip problems on the test that require geometry concepts she doesn't yet know... she'll have it all for next year, and the experience with all the other types of math problems and the rest of the PSAT will be very valuable.

• 4 weeks later...
Would you have your child do the PSAT in 10th if they are just starting Geometry? Dd is not my math-loving kid, so I have her on an Algebra 1 to Pre-Calculus track for her 4 high school math credits. She tests very well on her ITBS tests (top 1%), so I think I'd like her to have the practice of the PSAT this year before next year when it will really matter. I also hate to set her up for feeling like she can't do it since she won't have much Geometry under her belt.

Thanks for any thoughts, opinions, etc.!

Just one data point. The local high school is now accepting PSAT registrations. They have ALL 9th-11th graders take the test. The district pays the fee for 10th graders. 9th and 11th graders have to pay $17 to have their test scored. If they don't pay for the scoring, they will get their test booklet, answer sheet and an answer key for home scoring.

What this means is that any 11th grader taking the test has already had two practice sittings for the exam, and has had one official scoring (which gives him a set of scores to use for things like summer programs).

Having all students take the test also eliminates the stumbling block of having to come in on a weekend or take time out of regular classes to take the test. Everyone just does it.

The school testing environment is different from the home/group ITBS setting.

:iagree:

It sounds like your daughter is familiar with the school already, but for many homeschooled kids, simply finding their way to a classroom and then taking a test in a cluttered room with up to 30+ other kids in it (who know each other and who are chatting noisily) can be overwhelming. I've had my kids take the PSAT before 11th grade in large part just to familiarize them with the *environment*, so that when they take the test for real they can concentrate on the test and hopefully ignore the distractions ...

Yes, absolutely. Practice with this test is a good thing. Just be careful to mark the correct grade level on the exam so that she is not counted as a junior.

My own dd took the PSAT last year as a Freshman, and will take it again this year as a Sophomore, and then obviously again next year as a Junior. Considering the financial incentives available to Merit Scholars, it's well worth it to me to give her the practice.