Menu

Math Mammoth - How does it work?

It's not broken up into days/weeks/months. It's simply a mastery program that builds on concepts from unit to unit. But she has some suggestions on her website for how to pace it:

http://www.mathmammoth.com/faq-lightblue.php#14

I hope that helps! We've gone through 3rd grade so far, and love it. I just had 2B/3A and 4A/4B printed and bound at Kinko's for my rising 2nd and 4th grade kids!

Edited by LemonPie

i have decided to buy MM for my two girls this year & I am waiting for it to go on sale on the Kagi store.

Please could someone give me an idea of how it works out?

Is it clearly laid out into lessons? If so, how many pages are usually done per day? Is there a set pattern to the week?

TIA!

Have you considered buying through the Homeschool Buyers Co-Op? https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/math-mammoth/?c=1

It generally gets up to 50% off. The catch being that you have to invest in a package, so it might not be the best option if you're not sure it's what you want to use.

The light blue series is clearly laid out into lessons (blue series is too, but it's arranged by subject rather than grade level). http://www.mathmammoth.com/faq-lightblue.php#14 has info about how many pages you'd expect to do a day - generally 1-2. It just goes from one lesson to the next - there is no set weekly schedule (it's intended to be used at the child's pace). Most lessons in the 1B book (which I happen to have sitting near me) are 2 pages. Some are longer, and would probably be split up over multiple days.

We use MM, and it is not laid out in weeks or lessons, but in topics/units. I generally do not try to plan it out into weeks or days, but set a time (30 minutes in 3rd grade, 40 minutes this year in 4th) and we do math for that amount of time every day, picking up where we left off yesterday. When we come to the end of the unit, we simply begin the next. I do the tests right at the end of the unit, just as though it were the workbook, which helps ds keep calm and not get all keyed up by a "test."

Edited by urpedonmommy

I know that is vague, but it really depends on their tolerance. In one school year (last year) my 7 year old went through 1B, 2A, 2B, 3A, and we're doing 3B over this summer. I expect she'll slow down this year, but I'll have 4 & 5 on hand just in case. She typically does about 60 minutes of math daily.

If you prefer to buy the printed books, they're currently on sale at Rainbow Resource Center.