Menu

Crud, I still have no Spanish!!!

truebluexf

I can't decide bc everything gets negative reviews. :tongue_smilie: I was thinking of Rosetta Stone, but then I was convinced otherwise. DS did Powerspeak last year but I don't think that was worth it. We tried La Clase Divertida before and it wasn't a hit (repeatedly watching a video wasn't interesting at all.) I'd really just like exposure for my two oldest, they don't have to get fluent yet, but I want them to know some Spanish before high school time.

FWIW, i went through the same thing. I think I've been through every Spanish Curriculum out there. THe one I liked the best was Breaking the Spanish Barrier, but the cost was too high for now. So we've settled on Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish and some Practice Makes Perfect workbooks.

Good luck!

The beginning lesson of Berlitz Self-teacher, some phrases and vocabulary, is a good place to start.

Cheap workbooks

http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Grades-Elementary-Rose-Thomas/dp/1568221975/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343913989&sr=1-4&keywords=carson+dellosa+spanish

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Book-Spanish-Grades/dp/0769685641/ref=pd_sim_b_4

Audio is often at the public library.

Pimsleur is my favorite.

Sometimes edutainment software pops up here and there, before it becomes outdated. I have no idea what is current.

Less is more for foreign language goals. Vocabulary is key. Don't get so lost in grammar that you get overwhelmed and don't get lots of vocabulary covered.

We learned English by mostly learning lots of nouns and a few adjectives and verbs. "cookie", "milk", "red", "jump". Then we learned to say "Please" and "Thank you" for the "cookie".

When we overcomplicate it, we accomplish less.

Bill Linney's Getting Started with Spanish sounds like it would fit the bill. (He also has Getting Started with Latin.)

These books are easy enough for a 2nd grader to do and will also provide older kids (even adults) with Spanish (and Latin) exposure. These are wonderful books and inexpensive too.... you'll pay around $20 new.

http://www.gettingstartedwithspanish.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Spanish-Homeschoolers-Self-Taught/dp/0979505135/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343916292&sr=8-1&keywords=getting+started+with+spanish

Maybe games are actually a good idea. Who makes a good computer game? We need something like Dreambox or Jumpstart or something!

There actually used to be better resources available back for Windows 3.1 and 95 that no longer work in the new versions of Windows, and I don't think anyone has updated them.

$(KGrHqR,!igE5hBiV4WcBOinZp4UZg~~60_35.JPG

For the younger kids I am considering either Homeschool Spanish Academy (live tutor via skype) or See it and Say it in Spanish - Whole Family Spanish course:

http://www.currclick.com/product/73374/See-it-and-Say-it-Flip-Flop-Spanish%3A-Whole-Family-Spanish

My older daughter will continue taking Spanish with Senor Gamache from La Clase Divertida (online high school Spanish).

Do you have online access to Mango Languages through a library? That would be a good start for the year just for some exposure... you could see how they do with that and go from there. I think that's how we're going to start DS off this year.

I was thinking of doing this too. My library offers it for free.

Bill Linney's Getting Started with Spanish sounds like it would fit the bill. (He also has Getting Started with Latin.)

These books are easy enough for a 2nd grader to do and will also provide older kids (even adults) with Spanish (and Latin) exposure. These are wonderful books and inexpensive too.... you'll pay around $20 new.

http://www.gettingstartedwithspanish.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-Spanish-Homeschoolers-Self-Taught/dp/0979505135/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343916292&sr=8-1&keywords=getting+started+with+spanish

I just came across Getting Started with Spanish on Amazon last night. I think I might have to grab a copy to take a look at that!

Do you have online access to Mango Languages through a library? That would be a good start for the year just for some exposure... you could see how they do with that and go from there. I think that's how we're going to start DS off this year.

Thanks for the heads up on Mango! I just checked an my library has it fro free as well. I am so excited to check it out!

I went through this earlier this year. There doesn't seem to be a front runner choice for Spanish like there does for latin.

In the end, I went with Spanish for Children, without the DVD package. We are using the book and the online pronunciation guides. Since my dd has had latin for several years, it should be relatively simple for her I am hoping :)

I can't say if this is a great choice yet though. We just started. But of the ones I looked at (all of the ones mentioned here) it was the one that met my needs best.

Want something FREE? Something to go at your own pace? Online? Covers lots of the bases? In a friendly novella style? (yes, i feel like a commercial!!!)

I found this and I think we will give it a try. It's free and here are lots of other options, as well, for many, many languages. In fact, when you check out Open Culture, you could spend hours there. Be warned!!!! :)

Destinos is a very fun option, but I don't know that I would use it with a younger child. It's more of a soap opera style and the story line is more suitable for high school level students, imo.

For younger children I would recommend Salsa spanish, Speekee, or Homeschool Spanish Academy. I have used them all and they are all quite good.

HTH a bit.

Want something FREE? Something to go at your own pace? Online? Covers lots of the bases? In a friendly novella style? (yes, i feel like a commercial!!!)

I found this and I think we will give it a try. It's free and here are lots of other options, as well, for many, many languages. In fact, when you check out Open Culture, you could spend hours there. Be warned!!!! :)

I have only watched Episode 1, but I think my 5th grader would like this. Thank you!

Halycon,

I think that you should watch a bit more before handing it off to your child to see if they will enjoy it. From my (somewhat faulty) memory, the lawyer goes all over on her mission and falls in love with an Argentinian man, but her parents are trying to get her back together with her ex(?) boyfriend. Meanwhile, one of the other characters is with a boyfriend who has a roving eye.

I never did finish all of the episodes so I don't know what happens beyond that.