Menu

Contact paper or Laminator?

Janell

This is our first year homeschooling and DS will be doing Kindergarten. A lot of the teacher guides say to cut out some of the visual aids and cover them in contact paper. i know some poeple use laminators and I was just trying to see what option is better. Contact paper isn't exactly cheap, but neither is a laminator, but I think laminating would last longer and is stronger? Maybe? If i'm going to be using these materials over the next few years I want them to last and i'm not sure plain contact paper would.

Let me know what you think? What do you use/prefer?

I absolutely love my Scotch laminator and probably use it more than I should:) It is definitely sturdier than contact paper and we use it to make papers reusable by writing on laminated paper with dry erase makers. They are reasonably priced on Amazon and are occasionally a Gold Box special. I consider my laminator a must-have for our homeschool.

I used contact paper for awhile. When I finally broke down and got the laminator I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner, I was in heaven!!! It's sturdier, easier to use, and has less trash than contact paper. I would say definitely go with the laminator, it's well worth it.

I love the laminator. It's faster, easier, neater, sturdier and can't be picked off at the corners by 'fiddly' kids. Sure, it's a little more expensive because you have to buy the machine, but it is really worth it. And once you have a laminator you'll probably find more uses for it than you anticipated.

The Scotch laminator that most people use is not expensive at all. It's regularly on sale for around $25, I think? I paid $15 for mine (Amazon Deal of the Day a couple years ago).

The pouches are about $20 for a huge amount. I haven't used half of them. I got the Universal brand from Amazon. They work great.

I think a laminator would be better, but don't stress if it isn't in your budget. It hasn't been in mine yet, so for the last few years I've squeaked by with just using laminating sheets. I have no complaints as far as how stuff has held up. It does take more time to do and there are a few pieces of paper trash, but it isn't significant.

This is our first year homeschooling and DS will be doing Kindergarten. A lot of the teacher guides say to cut out some of the visual aids and cover them in contact paper. i know some poeple use laminators and I was just trying to see what option is better. Contact paper isn't exactly cheap, but neither is a laminator, but I think laminating would last longer and is stronger? Maybe? If i'm going to be using these materials over the next few years I want them to last and i'm not sure plain contact paper would.

Let me know what you think? What do you use/prefer?

I wish I had a laminator . . . not so much now but in the early grades. Contact paper kicks my hiney every time.

Another vote for scotch laminator (I think I paid $25 at Walmart a few years ago). I use generic laminatin sheets from SAMs club. A package of 200 sheets was maybe $20? This weekend is "non members get in free and don't pay extra" at Sam's club so it's a good time to check it out there if you don't have a membership.

Laminator, hands down. About twice a year Scotch laminators go on sale for $10-$15 on Amazon. I got one during a sale and LOVE it! I buy cheap universal pouches 100 for $12 something.

wow. Do you know when they go on sale? i'll have to stalk amazon every day and make sure i'm not going to miss the sale!

Another vote for scotch laminator (I think I paid $25 at Walmart a few years ago). I use generic laminatin sheets from SAMs club. A package of 200 sheets was maybe $20? This weekend is "non members get in free and don't pay extra" at Sam's club so it's a good time to check it out there if you don't have a membership.

I do have a membership so I'll have to check them out. I think i'm going to go ahead and buy a laminator. I wished I had one last year and I kept telling myself that for Kindergarten i would get one....just wasn't sure if it would be worth the investment. but i'm pretty sure i'm going to do it.

thanks everyone for your input!

I wonder if Costco carries them too - we have both, but the Costco is so much more convenient. Pity I didn't know I'd want them when we were visiting my ILs - they have a Sam's CLub membership (no Costco near them) and we were there at one point while running errands.