Menu

K12 languages -- Shout out from Options for Chinese

My oldest daughter used K12's high school German I, had a good experience, and went on to OSU's German II. It was a very easy transition for her, so obviously the K12 course had to cover as much as OSU's German I course did.

I'm not familiar with either the Spanish or Chinese options. K12's Powerspeak courses were originally designed by Powerglide, which they acquired in 2007 or so.

Personally, I'd choose K12 over Rosetta Stone, but OSU over K12. For Spanish, I'd go with OSU Spanish.

My daughter did a bit of Chinese through PowerSpeak. It was ok. I have not had experiences with the other languages. This year she is starting Chinese over using the Middleburry Language Option through K12. I do not know if this is an option for you, however when I was talking to a K12 rep. she recommend this option over the PowerSpeak.

My daughter did a bit of Chinese through PowerSpeak. It was ok. I have not had experiences with the other languages. This year she is starting Chinese over using the Middleburry Language Option through K12. I do not know if this is an option for you, however when I was talking to a K12 rep. she recommend this option over the PowerSpeak.

They are pretty much the same. My son used them and at first liked the program, but the option that we had (unbeknownst to me) didn't have the teacher grade anything until the end of the year. I called to complain about why none of his tests were being graded and I found out why. I also found out that they no longer provided the option that I had. I would HIGHLY recommend just spending the money and getting the highest option available with a regular teacher. Your student needs to have someone telling them regularly if they are doing it right. Especially with Chinese. We had problems with it loading on a number of days and some of the games were repetative. Then games would freeze, thus having to redo them. I called and they ended up telling me some technical fixes and that I really should have Mozilla or Firefox (which I don't and it stated that the program would work with Windows). They did offer me a refund which after a few weeks of thinking about and still running into problems, we asked for.

He has since decided that unless he has a regular tutor or teacher (which we can't seem to find locally), he's just going to work with sister on Spanish with her tutor...