Menu

Book Recommendations

I am an Occupational Therapy student (starting late Aug.) and would like some book recommendations from parents in regards to different special needs.

If you could have someone read three books about your child's special needs so they could understand your child more, what would they be?

Looking forward to the responses :001_smile:

Late, Lost, and Unprepared is probably your best bet for ADHD. That or anything by Hallowell. (Driven to Distraction, etc.) I'm specifically picking LLandUP for you because it has lists comparing normal and not NT executive function at various ages. That way people can see what it really looks like.

Mislabeled Child by the Eides will cover a lot of ground with seeing how all sorts of problems manifest in all sorts of ways (dysgraphia, dyslexia, CAPD, etc.). Usually kids coming into OT have more than one thing.

Pick something for spectrum, not sure of the best title. The ones I've read don't really work for your situation.

Oh, I guess you want a sensory book, duh. The Out of Sync Child is pretty common for that. It doesn't really encapsulate the entirety of what we experience, but it's fine. By the time we read it, it was sort of has-been, old knowledge, and seemed a little young. Just depends on the age of the child and who the reading audience is I guess.

I guess that gives you 4, oops. :)

Hi! My oldest son is receiving OT for handwriting at school.

For him I would recommend Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz. It is a good overview.

I think the main point -- if you see how it is difficult for him to learn the letter sounds and how he is having to, sometimes, think about just what sound a sound is, you can see how that really adds to the process for him to automatically write a letter.

I am not sure what all his handwriting teacher is doing with him at school, but in 30 min. a week, she is really helping him! I am so pleased!

Here's a few I have (or have coming):

The Complete Guide to Aspergers - Tony Attwood

No More Meltdowns - Jed Baker

The Out of Sync Child - Carol Stock Kranowitz

The Out of Sync Child has Fun - Carol Stock Kranowitz

Raising a Sensory Smart Child - Lindsey Biel

Growing an In Sync Child - Joye Newman

Slow and Steady Get Me Ready - June Oberlander

Autism Spectrum Disorders - Chantal Sicile-Kira

Games for Learning - Peggy Kaye

1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism or Asperger's

Another One I have looked at:

How to get your child off the Refridgerator and onto Learning

Some of these are reference books, some guides, some ideas, some activities and some are a big mix of some/all.