Menu

Goodwill Donations Gone Bad

My family has been purging and cleaning over the summer and we have been donating everything to Goodwill. I will drop off items at the closest center to where we are at the time. Yesterday I purged my classroom and filled five laundry baskets full of books, games, etc. When I pulled around to the back of the donation center, the man was talking to another worker, killing time. When I asked for a cart (which they always give me) he said no, to pile my stuff up next to the ramp. I unloaded some stacking baskets, put it right where he said, then returned to my car. When I turned around, he made a big production of lifting the baskets, slamming them down in another place. He barked at me, saying not to stack stuff there. I asked him where he wanted me to put the stuff, and he pointed to another spot. When I started stacking, he started yelling. "What's wrong with you? This is such a simple task. Don't you understand directions?"

At this point, there were two other people who had donations to drop off. He got a cart (:confused:) and proceeded to help them unload. I asked if there was a manager, and he said of course there's a manager. He turned his back on me and left me standing there. I drove to the front of the store, talked to the manager who apologized for his behavior, and she helped me unload the stuff onto a cart.

At that point, I just wanted to get out of there. When I got home, I realized that this guy just really creeped me out. I didn't like the way he looked at me, his attitude, etc. Even though the manager said she would talk to him, I doubt it will go far. Maybe he has woman issues? I think that I should call Goodwill and report him. I wouldn't feel right if something happened to someone else?

Any advice?

Let it go. The manager knows and if she can do anything she will. Someone else was having a bad day and by continuing to think about it, you are continuing to let his attitude affect you. He wins if you can't let it go. If you wish him well, say a short affirmation for his health and well being (privately of course) and go about your way without another thought then you have done what is necessary for the situation.

Part of their mission is to train and employ people who might otherwise be unemployable. That includes creepy dudes with bad people skills. I think you did the right thing to talk to his manager. That is probably as much as I would do. If he keeps it up, he will get kicked out of the program at some point.

Let it go. The manager knows and if she can do anything she will. Someone else was having a bad day and by continuing to think about it, you are continuing to let his attitude affect you. He wins if you can't let it go. If you wish him well, say a short affirmation for his health and well being (privately of course) and go about your way without another thought then you have done what is necessary for the situation.

Part of their mission is to train and employ people who might otherwise be unemployable. That includes creepy dudes with bad people skills. I think you did the right thing to talk to his manager. That is probably as much as I would do. If he keeps it up, he will get kicked out of the program at some point.

:iagree:

You already did the right thing by speaking with the manager, and he did the right thing by apologizing and saying he'll speak with the employee. I don't think any further action is necessary. I know it's hard, but try not to let it continue to annoy you. :grouphug:

:iagree: And stay away from that particular Good Will. I've dealt with nothing but helpful, kind people at my center.

I have donations picked up. A charity truck comes through my neighborhood regularly. Check to see if Goodwill, Salvation Army, Purple Heart, AmVets, Childrens' Hospital, etc does scheduled pick ups. They give me a date, I put stuff out in the morning labeled with the charity's name.

Once you are done your purge schedule a pick up monthly or bimonthly. This forces you to go through stuff regularly and not accumulate.