Menu

We're using CPO's Foundations in Physics. I'll be teaching it to four kids, including one of my own, ranging in ages from 14 to 17. This is either brave on insane, and I've yet to pick which. Here's the website I've set up for the class, including all the books we'll be using. I'll post the syllabus periodically to my blog, Quarks and Quirks (see my signature line).

I vetted a number of books for the course, including Singapore's Physics Matters (and we're using the lab book for that). In the end, CPO won out because it covers some crucial points that I didn't want to miss, namely parabolic motion, more on rotational motion, and quantum physics. Two of the kids I'm teaching will be taking the SAT Subject test in physics, and these items (and others I'm not thinking of now) will be on the test. Thus my choice.

Questions are welcome.

I vetted a number of books for the course, including Singapore's Physics Matters (and we're using the lab book for that). <snip>

Questions are welcome.

Why are you going to use the Singapore lab book instead of the CPO lab book? Are you going to use the CPO equipment (lab) kit with the Singapore lab book or are you using another lab kit?

Why are you going to use the Singapore lab book instead of the CPO lab book? Are you going to use the CPO equipment (lab) kit with the Singapore lab book or are you using another lab kit?

We will use some of the CPO Investigation as well. The CPO books are set up to use CPO equipment, which is pricey. We will create some of our own, but the labs in Physics Matters require equipment that is more accessible than the other.

I have some equipment, will borrow some, build a bit, and substitute labs as needed. I can never seem to settle on a single curriculum for science and end up pulling what I need from multiple sources. Physics is a stretch for me, but somehow, it will work.

I'm teaching two physics courses this year.

The course based on Algebra I will use Hewitt's Conceptual Physics.

The course based on Algebra II will use Giancoli's Physics: Principles and Applications. This course will prepare for both the AP Physics B test and the SAT-II Physics subject test.

I took two students through the Giancoli's text two years ago and both of them took the AP test. I tried to work through Hewitt's Conceptual Physics with my oldest several years ago, but we both hated it. The difference this time is that I'm going to be teaching it as a class and will be spending most of the classtime on experiments. I actually quite like the lab manual that goes with the text and that's what I'll be using.