Menu

Sonlight P 4/5 curriculum question

twinsmomx2

I am a new homeschooling mom of 4 yr old twins and 2 yr old twins. I've been looking at the Sonlight preK curricula. I have an opportunity to buy a P 4/5 set at a fantastic price but it is from 2005. Is there any fundamental or drastic differences in the current version vs. this older version?

Thanks!

They are actually exactly 4.5 yrs old. DD could handle it but DS would need more help. I'm also looking at the P 3/4 set too for my little ones and for DS to start with.

I just want to make sure this Sonlight 2005 set I'm looking to buy is worth getting...as long as there are no major fundamental educational differences or major differences in the teacher materials vs. the current one. I don't have the time to plan my own from all the free resources out there so I am hoping to buy something that does a lot of the planning work for me. I can save a lot if $$ if this set is good.

As long as you have the teachers manual to go along with the books you get there should be no problem using an old edition. I think they have changed a couple of books since then, but nothing significant to make it worth buying new.

:iagree: There have been a couple of book changes and they updated the IG to include more hands-on activities. I really like the new books, but it would be easy to add those on if you felt like it. I haven't upgraded my IG to the newer version because I didn't feel like the older one was lacking. So...I'd say go for the purchase. I combine P4/5 & P3/4 into a super preschool/Kindy program, reading through the books several times. I use Core A more strictly for 1st, but the preschool and Kindy year have evolved into a SL mishmash for us. Even my ds8 has declared that we aren't to read any P4/5 stories withhout him. Have fun!

Thank you everyone! After researching the Sonlight programs and knowing how much a new set costs, the $50 I'll spend on a pretty much complete set seems well worth it (I think there are only a few books missing but the seller has substituted books and also added additional books that are in the new version).

I liked the idea of the additional hands-on activity ideas of the new set. But is it worth an extra $300 - uh, no. I think I can think of some or find them online - or here!:001_smile:

I'm also hoping I like the Sonlight because it seems like something easy to stick with over the years.

Another idea is to buy the set, keep the books, sell the IG and purchase the new IG. IF you decide you would like the new IG with more activities.

That's a great idea! The IG won't cost me that much to buy on it's own and I think most of the books are the same.

Thanks!!:thumbup: