Menu

Today is so not my day, ordering at Apple stinks

I decided to splurge and buy the 64 GB iPad today. I placed the order and got, at the end, got this screen that says "Your session timed out. You have 0 items in your cart." :001_huh: Um, okay. So I wait a few minutes to see if I get a confirmation email anyway. Nothing. Then I go back and try to place the order again. It goes through. Now my email inbox has TWO confirmations. Great. At the bottom it has a link to cancel your order. I try to cancel one, no go. It says it's already being prepared for shipment. Oh, crud. I call. Yeah, they can't cancel it. Sorry, I'm going to be charged $1264.xx, but HEY they'll refund me if I send one back.... Oh, and she's "sorry" for the "inconvenience" :cursing:

The best they could do was to request that one of the orders basically ship out, be stopped mid shipment and mailed back to them. She said "Looks like we can have that money back to you by August 28th at the latest." Well, gosh, that IS good news <sarcasm alert> I said "Why do both the emails say shipment expected in 2-3 weeks, but you are telling me they are both ready to be shipped now? If they aren't expected to ship for 2-3 weeks, why can't you just stop one?" Silence. Finally, she tells me "Oh, well, that's just kind of....it's so if something were to delay shipping....or if like.....like if the package got misrouted..." So it's CYA? That's what you are telling me - we estimated a way far out ship date in case something gets messed up. I get doing that, but FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, I now have $632 and change being hung up for what could be a MONTH.

I saw that they had them in stock in the Apple store 2 hours away. My mom and I debated just driving to get one, but, in the end, decided that with free shipping + $50 tax online (vs tax, maybe free tax this weekend IF they fell under the tax exemption AND IF they had any in stock by then, plus gas cost, it was probably cheaper or at least easier to order online.) WHAT. A. JOKE. It was neither cheaper NOR easier. It's been twice as expensive and about 1000x the headache. But, hey, what great customer service. I'm only out a huge amount, possibly for a whole month, if I just don't pay any bills or eat I'll be FINE. I'll probably sleep better tonight, though, knowing how "sorry" they are :001_rolleyes:

This thing better be worth it's weight in GOLD for YDS, because, right now, I'd like to shove it up someone's nose at Apple!

Edited by Ghee

I'm sorry you had such a difficult time -- I've always been very pleased when I've ordered from Apple.

I wanted to mention, though, that I hope you told them you're a homeschooler because their back-to-school promotion is going on right now and you get a $50 iTunes gift card with an iPad purchase. (You get a $100 card when you buy a regular computer or a laptop.) If you order online, you do it through the Education Store, but they'll usually give you the discount if you call in your order or buy in the store.

Nope, I called, I don't qualify for that. I ordered a refurbed iPad2 and it's only for the "new iPad". Thanks, though. It would have been kind of nice of them to say "Well, you don't qualify, but GEE we've really messed you up so we'll let you have that anyway." :glare:

Call your credit card and dispute the charges. They will take care of it for you.

Hmm. Used my debit card. I *try* to not make purchases unless I can pay with cash and had deposited my saved up money into the account prior to ordering. Will a bank do the same thing?

FWIW, I can shift some funds and cover the second one until it's credited back to me. It's just that, right now, that's so not the point. What if I couldn't? I don't think "super sorry" really cuts it.

Hmm. Used my debit card. I *try* to not make purchases unless I can pay with cash and had deposited my saved up money into the account prior to ordering. Will a bank do the same thing?

FWIW, I can shift some funds and cover the second one until it's credited back to me. It's just that, right now, that's so not the point. What if I couldn't? I don't think "super sorry" really cuts it.

I would call the bank and ask. You may have some buyer protection or fraud protection that you aren't aware of. I would guess that it is still processed under Visa or Mastercard, but individual banks offer different protection/services.

If you can't get an answer from the phone number on your debit card, go in and ask to talk to the fraud department.

I have to say for the future, using a credit card for on line purchases is a great tool. I just pay off the entire balance each month and that way I have the cc protection, without the debt.

I disputed an on line purchase last year on my AMEX. I called AMEX, they did the rest. My circumstance was an 'not as described/wrong terminology' issue from an Amazon seller. I got a letter a week later notifing me that there was an investigation and they would let me know the outcome. Then a couple weeks later, I got another letter or a phone call (I can't remember which) that told me it was resolved in my favor.

I never saw the charges show up on my statement and it just took a 5-10 minute phone call to AMEX.