Menu

In search of an accurate movie version of The Little Princess

This one is the one we own, and I think it's pretty faithful in most respects.

Thanks. The reviews concern me for several reasons though. They say it is set in NYC instead of London, in WWI instead of Victorian times, that her dad dies in battle instead of due to fever, and (worst for me) dad is found alive in the end? Say it isn't so!

Does anyone know if Netflix has this version (either by mail or instant) because yowza, that price!

OK, dds say that there are some major changes--dad has amnesia, is not killed, but do not think that the location is changed.

I think we were able to get one of the other versions--NOT Shirley Temple--from the library. We had better luck with movie versions of the Secret Garden; maybe you want to wait till you've read that one instead? :001_smile:

Actually, while I like the one linked above, it does change quite a lot.

The most faithful one I know is this one, though it may be difficult to find: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Princess-Annie-Lambert/dp/B001T46T8I

Thanks. Just a big ol' UGH on the price. My library doesn't have it either.

OK, dds say that there are some major changes--dad has amnesia, is not killed, but do not think that the location is changed.

I think we were able to get one of the other versions--NOT Shirley Temple--from the library. We had better luck with movie versions of the Secret Garden; maybe you want to wait till you've read that one instead? :001_smile:

Our library has the one you linked. Maybe we will watch all three (if Netflix has the $$ one) and do a compare/contrast. DD would probably love that.

Good news about The Secret Garden! We are reading that next so I am happy and relieved to hear it.

I'm pretty sure that this is the one I saw that was very true to the book. I know it was British and I think it was a BBC production.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090474/

Oh, thank you for vouching for this one! It is the $$$$$ one from Amazon.

We just finished the Shirley Temple version. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, apparently, because DD spent the whole time like this --> :001_huh:. She did not care for it because she "loved the book too much."

Shirley temple movies in general are just so weird. My grandmother, God rest her, bought us an ENTIRE set of ALL the Shirley Tmple movies when dds were small. Golly, I have never seen so many good stories wrecked as in that set of movies. :glare:

(Plus, the short dresses and the older men holding her all the time just creeped me out, and I am not especially sensitive to that kind of thing.)

Edited by Caitilin

Shirley temple movies in general are just so weird. My grandmother, God rest her, bought us an ENTIRE set of ALL the Shirley Tmple movies when dds were small. Golly, I have never seen so many good stories wrecked as in that set of movies. :glare:

(Plus, the short dresses and the older men holding her all the time just creeped me out, and I am not especially sensitive to that kind of thing.)

Yeah, I kind of remember liking them a little as a child but now I find her too too cutesy-cute.

Oh, thanks!