Menu

Planning ahead with SOTW 1. Mummified Chicken.

We just wrapped our chicken mummy this past weekend! DD1 (who is the history student) and DS enjoyed it and have been talking to everyone about it, but DH and I are the ones who were just excited about it.

The thing is, it was very exciting to the kids early on - you're working with the chicken every day for the first week or so. But eventually, when you're only dealing with the chicken once a week or so, they lose some interest. However, the kids were VERY excited once we started wrapping it.

I guess now, I have this chicken mummy in our school room up on a shelf and I'm not sure what to do with it. DH says we can put it in a little wooden box (we used a cornish game hen) and bury it in the back yard. I don't want to do that because we spend all this time drying it out - if we bury it, it will rehydrate and decay. And I don't want to just throw it away.

I've also told DH - I can see it now... 1,000 years from now someone will turn our yard into an archaeological dig site because they found mummified farm animals in the ground! :lol:

Not necessary, but we had lots of fun:)! It had a huge "wow" factor with the neighborhood kids.

We mummified a cornish game hen (smaller, easier to handle with the salt/spice mixture). The first few days are the grossest...just wash in alcohol and forge on. Eventually, the odor will dissipate - and take on the smell of your spices.

I was able to find the SOTW 1 textbook on ebay, but where would I find the activity book?? My kids would LOVE the mummified chicken!!!

Tammie

Hi Tammy, Keep your eyes on the For Sale board here and you'll likely find one quickly! :)

Well, we are always on the lookout for projects that Dad can join in on...

The chicken mummy was perfect. The kids and I studied the mummies and mummification etc. Then we went out and purchased all the supplies. One fine day Dad and the kids obtained their chicken and went to work. (They used a standard whole chicken from the supermarket.)

They had a great time (he got to deal with the yuck) and we had Dad totally involved in one of our projects.

The instructions are long but as I remember the time commitment after the first week or so was small until the wrapping.

Dad's next project is going to be building models of medieval weapons...

My 2 dd's had a great time doing this project! I wouldn't pass doing it up. I must admit there was a STRONG yuck factor going into this. I followed some online instructions and use a lot more salt than it called for. I filled a laundry bucket with salt...about 10 pounds worth. I bought 25 pound bags of salt from Sam's. The first time we went outside to check our chicken mummy we were decked out in rubber gloves and face masks! LOL!! There was much trepidation, but to our surprise there was no smell or yuckiness!

I ran across King Kluck in the storage shed a few weeks ago when I was looking for books. I guess our mummification process worked fine as there was no smell or anything and he is over a year old.

Have Fun!!

I filled a laundry bucket with salt...about 10 pounds worth. I bought 25 pound bags of salt from Sam's. The first time we went outside to check our chicken mummy we were decked out in rubber gloves and face masks! LOL!! There was much trepidation, but to our surprise there was no smell or yuckiness!

LOL, we are using baking soda from Costco, and are doing a trout. The smell is nothing more than the smell of drying fish on the beach. Strong but not nasty in any way, and within 15 seconds of opening up the container, the strong smell is gone. It is an ongoing process, but kiddo is already wrapping cheapo barbies from Goodwill in gauze in anticipation, and recently took one to a party...which tells me he is very proud of it.