Menu

Calendar/weather/"circle" time for pre-K

JoLuRu

I am doing pre-K homeschool with DD and would like to incorporate a morning circle time with a calendar, weather, number of the day (as in, 36th day of school), nursery rhymes, etc.

Is there any pre-made site that has an outline for this?

OP I know your request is circle time with calendar but I wanted to provide another source for you to make the decision that is right for your child.

https://home.comcast.net/~leighanne.kraemer/graduateportfolio/calendarmath.pdf

It is a journal article regarding if calendar time is really best for young learners. Pre-schoolers are linear thinkers the abstract concepts of yesterday, today and tomorrow are more than they are capable of comprehending until they are older.

We felt that calendar time holds little meaning for our pre-schooler so we are going with a linear calendar, links of paper that will be in the color we are studying that week. We will count the number of days in a week, talk about the weather outside and read our book for the week. We are going to wait until she is older to introduce temporal concepts.

Calendar time is what many "traditionally" know as a preschool thing but there are other options which may be more developmentally appropriate.