Menu

Speaking of allergies

How would you go about allergy testing if you have no insurance? Naturopath? Homeopath? Google? I've tried Google and haven't found much that's helpful. Can you just ask the pediatrician to recommend someone? My pediatrician is always very nice, but he takes the, "Well let's just wait and see" type of approach. I don't know if it's because we're uninsured or what and he doesn't want to order labs if there's no insurance.

I've become a failure with the GFDF thing and I can already see Digby's tummy starting to pooch out again. He's not crying at night anymore, though he does itch during the day. The whole not knowing thing is driving me nuts and I'd just like to figure it out once and for all.

Reactions are the best way to figure out allergies and that is free. Testing of any sort will have a high false positive rate. It's better used to confirm.

Do you suspect certain foods you could pull out? You could do an elimination or rotation diet if you have no clear suspects. It will work--it's just a pain to do!

If the reactions are GI only there aren't (IMO and research) good allergy tests for that anyway. Diet trials would be the way to go.

Since reaction trumps testing anyway, if I didn't have insurance I'd do a classic elimination diet. What a pain, but then you'd really know know, which allergy testing can't even do for you.

It just makes me wonder how long that could take. My SIL had her son do the pricks on the back one and he came back with like 20 sensitivies! I'm just worried that there would be some I never knew about and could never fix.

You don't need a referral to see an allergist. I can tell you who I saw who was good (and who wasn't) here.

Oh yes, please do!

Reactions are the best way to figure out allergies and that is free. Testing of any sort will have a high false positive rate. It's better used to confirm.

Do you suspect certain foods you could pull out? You could do an elimination or rotation diet if you have no clear suspects. It will work--it's just a pain to do!

If the reactions are GI only there aren't (IMO and research) good allergy tests for that anyway. Diet trials would be the way to go.

I suspect gluten for Digby and I suspect milk for Pigby. Although, I'm not certain that they both don't have the other. I've made far fewer slip ups with the dairy, yet some of the symptoms have gone away and some haven't, so I just don't know. And I'm not good at sticking to it 100% which is most of the problem. It is a pain.

why did you fail with the gfcf? and if you are seeing that he is doing worse off it than on it . . then the tests wouldnt change that. Take foods out for 2 weeks, bring them back. See how he reacts.

I failed because I'm not good at sticking to a menu plan and starting lunch and dinner early enough to get it made at a reasonable hour. So kids are often howling and I just give them something easy (like pb&j or pizza). I know this is all my fault, but I'm not doing a very good job adjusting.

We don't have a lot of money, so I can't afford to buy the premade mixes for things, which means I have to grind my own rice, make my own mixes, make my own breads, etc. In order to do that the bread machine needs to be cleaned, in order to do that, the sink needs to be mostly cleared so I can wash the bread machine. Then the table needs to be clean and all my baking stuff needs to be clean. I know it's pathetic, but all of those rarely happen. And by the time I do get them all done, I'm ready to go to bed.

Also, normal allergy tests won't show Celiac's or gluten intolerance. And always, reaction trumps results. (Even the allergists say that.)

But do you have to go through like 40 items individually? Like what if I had to test for corn and soy or walnuts or raspberries. Wouldn't that take years? I'm imagining the doctor telling me everything that's wrong and I can just get rid of those and my life will be easier. :glare: I guess that's just wishful thinking

But do you have to go through like 40 items individually? Like what if I had to test for corn and soy or walnuts or raspberries. Wouldn't that take years? I'm imagining the doctor telling me everything that's wrong and I can just get rid of those and my life will be easier. :glare: I guess that's just wishful thinking

They can test for multiple allergies at once. But the bloated belly points to a digestive issue with the wheat like Celiac's or gluten intolerance, neither of which will show up on a skin test.

They can test for multiple allergies at once. But the bloated belly points to a digestive issue with the wheat like Celiac's or gluten intolerance, neither of which will show up on a skin test.

Would the blood test show a gluten or milk intolerance?

Also, normal allergy tests won't show Celiac's or gluten intolerance. And always, reaction trumps results. (Even the allergists say that.)

:iagree: I have a severe reaction to malt, but it did not show up on my allergy panel. My gluten intolerance did not show up either, because I am not allergic to it, but it causes swelling none the less.

Blood test did not show anything really for me.

Would the blood test show a gluten or milk intolerance?

Intolerances do not show up on tests. The test measures the amount of IgE in the blood, or the histamine reaction, which occur in IgE-mediated classic allergies. A pediatric gastroenterologist can run other tests. The Sponge's dairy allergy showed up negative on the skin test but positive on the test run by her pedi GI on a biopsy of her innards. ;)

My daughter was recently diagnosed with fructose malabsorption and SIBO...the symptoms sound similar to what you are describing. They are diagnosed with a hydrogen breath test. She was prescribed a low FODMAP diet. She was diagnosed with a mild wheat allergy about a month previously and eliminating wheat helped with her symptoms a great deal.

Thank you everyone. While thinking it over, I realized that part of me just wanted proof. I've faced a lot of skepticism from my mom and husband over it and I'm starting to wonder if I'm crazy now. I guess trying won't hurt. I just gotta do it.