Menu

Can i see your advanced 2nd grade/3rd grade reading list?

Halcyon

I don't think the parents who posted on this thread approach their selection process any differently.

And I didn't say they were. Of course that's true.

The vast majority of books mentioned are ones I absolutely would give a 7 yo. There were a few that I thought were better for older kids. But, as I said, I wouldn't take any of them away. I just like to wait before suggesting or assigning some books for their right moment. Sometimes it's not even because of difficult content - the example I listed was a light, silly book with nothing offensive, just with things I think would be more enjoyable later.

Lewelma, I don't think you upset anyone, certainly not me. I find it very interesting to see how very differently children progress, and how some children are emotionally ready for books others are not.

:iagree: I certainly was glad that Lewelma brought up how "dark" books can help kids process their own emotions. I really believe that as well. There's nothing better than when a kid connects emotionally with a book. And all kids are a little different.

I do think that there's a tendency to push popular books or older books onto kids regardless of where they are - especially kids who are good readers - I've seen a lot of librarians do this - just giving blanket recommendations of just a couple of titles. It's the opposite of what Lewelma was talking about though - instead of wanting to give a really personalized recommendation, I feel like I've seen some people go, this child reads at this level, therefore they should read this book. Or, this book is popular and has gotten kids reading, therefore all kids should try to read that book. That really frustrates me because it assumes that all kids will be the same in their reading tastes and ability to enjoy something. There's a sort of lack of thought behind it. I wouldn't assume that anyone here would put together a list without thought though - but I still think it's worth it to say, especially for people who haven't read all the books listed, hey, that book was one I would wait on for my kid.

I also apologize if someone took my statements to be condemning. We all know our own children best...while my dd doesn't get scared easily (loves Harry Potter), she is very sensitive. If she read Bridge to Terabithia or Where the Red Fern Grows for example at this age. I would never get her to read it again. She would just lose it and never want to even touch the book again. She would feel like I tricked her, and probably shy away from any book I ever suggested again. The best part of homeschooling is tailoring each child's education. I was merely in awe of you parents who have children that are emotionally ready for a book like that. Again, I apologize if anyone found my comment condescending or rude.

These are from my lists on my blog...I'll put the ones my younger dd has read in blue...she's a rising 4th grader so these are books she read in 3rd grade...

ETA: As you can see...she's all over the place...lol

I love your lists! It sounds like your dd and mine have similar tastes. Did your daughter love The Penderwicks series as much as mine did? My dd still talks about those books and wants to know if there are more!

Thanks for sharing!

I definitely wasn't condemning anyone for their choices. I was lamenting the lack of mine! It is interesting that other kids can use books to work through emotions. My super empathic gal just gets completely overwhelmed. She wants these characters to be real, but doesn't want them to have anything go wrong.