Menu

Parenting Fail

I completely forgot to pick up my 9 year old from her cooking camp today. They called me nearly 30 minutes after I was supposed to be there. I was still at my desk, working away. It never even crossed my mind.

Ugh. It's one of THOSE days.

Please tell me I'm not the only one ever to have done this......

I completely forgot to pick up my 9 year old from her cooking camp today. They called me nearly 30 minutes after I was supposed to be there. I was still at my desk, working away. It never even crossed my mind.

Ugh. It's one of THOSE days.

Please tell me I'm not the only one ever to have done this......

Me. :glare: I dropped a kid off at drama practice and then went to pick up another from a friend's house. We drove by a little boutique that I had wanted to see and thought I had all the time in the world. It wasn't until 5 mins. before he needed picked up that I realized it. I was 15 min. late. Everyone was gone except 1 child and his mom. So embarrassing and I felt horrible.

Guest submarines

I came very close, DS reminded me in the last moment. I think it is something about 9 year olds. :tongue_smilie:

:grouphug:

I work some strange hours sometimes, so when I get really exhausted I like to take a nap during the work day (I work at home). Normally I just nap for less than an hour and I'm back at it. One day I was awakened by a call from the kids' daycare. The place had been closed for 10 or 15 minutes. Thank goodness they called; who knows how much longer I would've slept.

I did that once. No wait, twice. Was talking to someone, got distracted, and was over 30 min late picking dd up from her piano lesson. Made her piano teacher miss a doctor's appointment.:blushing: Also, was over 20 min late picking ds up from baseball camp. A boy we knew from karate and his mom waited with ds until I got there.

Oh no! That feels awful doesn't it? I once forgot to pick up my dd from school when she was 7 yrs. old! Eeek! I just totally lost track of time until they phoned me. Talk about embarrassed! But she didn't seem to mind. The teacher shared a snack and some juice while they waited for me. :tongue_smilie:

Yup or at least something similar. I was supposed to take my son and a friend's daughter to dance. I decided to stop in at Fabricland for just a look around. I was not super late but late enough that my friend's father drove her there instead. (We now refer to Fabriland as my black hole.)

In middle school, a friend's mom left her with the groceries in the parcel pick up area. Mom went to get the car. Mom drove home forgetting both daughter and groceries. She did this multiple times.

I forgot my 17 year old at soccer practice more than once. He would start walking, and I would pick him up on the side of the road.

My eldest daughter went to public school. Normally, I dropped her off at daycare and they took her to school. One morning, I was temping for my step-dad, while waiting to start a new position. We woke up a bit late and, since he didn't care what time I came in and the office was local, I just dropped her at school on my way in.

An hour later, I'm in the closet, purging files, and the receptionist tells me I have a call. It's my best friend, whom the school had called. There was no school that day. :001_huh:

Fifteen years later, I still feel like "that mother". I now have several layers of calendar reminders to keep me from forgetting important things.

BTDT several times. But only once where my child was with strangers (like a baseball camp.) Today I forgot to take my daughter to the dentist. I had it on my calendar for 11:50. They called to confirm on Monday and I didn't double check the time. I was out shopping for college stuff with my oldest when I was supposed to be at said dentist. I like the alarm on my phone. At home, I often set timers.

And also, a friend reminded me today that I once forgot this same child at the bus stop a couple of years ago. Poor thing!

Some of your stories are hilarious and make me feel much less awful about it! The woman running the camp was not at all amused. I guess I can't blame her.

It helps (:confused:) to have been on the other side of the coin as a nondriver. I was left at dance class a few times, and dh was stranded at elementary school many an afternoon by his forgetful mom. That helps me remember (especially since it is *very* important to dh).

However, I am bad at correctly estimating the amount of time it takes me to get somewhere since we've moved to a bigger community. So, though I haven't totally forgotten a kid (yet!), I am at times on the tail end of the pick-up schedule.

Edited by Seasider

I haven't done it, but I like to think I can start any time I want to. ;)

Don't beat yourself up over it. We all make mistakes, and everything turned out fine in the end, so no harm was done. And I'll bet you'll never forget her again!

But I hope you're learned a valuable lesson from this. (Sorry. I hardly ever get a chance to say that, and I didn't want to pass up the opportunity.)

Anyway, you're a good mom who made a mistake. If this is the worst thing you ever do, your kids are pretty lucky, if you ask me! :grouphug:

I've done it before. I now set the alarm on my phone. I have a friend whose 9 year old son was playing at my house. Her husband had dropped the boy off and she was going to pick him up. I got a call from her about 20 minutes after she was supposed to pick him up. She had gone to the house of a mutual friend who also has a 9 year old boy. When I answered the phone she said, "Do you have my son at your house?":lol:

My mom picked me up a day late at a summer camp 3 states away. Several counselors had to stay back from their days off activities to babysit me. Embarrassing? Yeah.

So, I ran away from home the next year and we haven't spoken since. J/k!:lol:

No, she's my best friend next to Hubby and I've accepted the fact that we have very different personalities---so has she.;) And she's pretty competent most of the time.

My mom picked me up a day late at a summer camp 3 states away. Several counselors had to stay back from their days off activities to babysit me. Embarrassing? Yeah.

So, I ran away from home the next year and we haven't spoken since. J/k!:lol:

No, she's my best friend next to Hubby and I've accepted the fact that we have very different personalities---so has she.;) And she's pretty competent most of the time.

:lol:

You know, this was totally karma for me. Because I'm the one who HATES it when people are late. I find it to be completely disrespectful of others' time, and rarely late for anything ever. So yeah, I'm sure this was the Universe's way of reminding me to be a bit more forgiving and tolerant. Or something.