Menu

Any tips for withdrawing my high schooler from public school?

Ds16 was in ps last year, and he is pre-registered for this year. He is supposed to register next week, but we will be withdrawing him to homeschool. By law, we need to notify the state, but not the school district, to homeschool. The problem is that he is already pre-registered, so I guess I need to notify them. I would like as little contact as possible (they have been unhelpful in the past- I can only imagine how they would treat a homeschooler). Any ideas?

Shawn

I would send a note to the school just stating that "Jimmy Jones will not be attending for the school year 2012-2013. Have a great year!" And that is all. You don't owe them a meeting an explanation or anything. If they call, just state "Jimmy will be in a different educational setting for this next year. Have a great year!" And then make sure you're following the law for your state and understand that he will (more than likely) not be able to rejoin his class to graduate. Once out of high school, they're out.

:iagree: I would probably include a copy of any documents I sent to the state.

Do you have the advisor's contact information? I'd shoot them an email saying that you are submitting the required paperwork to the state to homeschool and your child will not be at the high school this year. Do not worry about providing any explanation or documentation. It's really between you and the state and chances are the school won't care because they'll be busy getting everyone registered.

I would check the state regs for your state and follow those, but also understand that schools must document where each of the students that withdraws from their district goes. They usually have a simple withdrawal form, which you fill out with the new school information for their record keeping purposes. Since he is already registered, I would have no problem filling out the withdrawal form and putting "homeschool" with your address for records to be forwarded to you. It may benefit you at some point to have copies of his public school record, so I would want official copies of all that. There is no need to discuss your decision with anyone and you may be able to print the forms off the school's website, fill them out, and just drop them off.