Menu

Memory and making connections (older dc?)

I've been working on SAT prep with my dd. She has been preparing for the last year, mostly on her own. Doing math together has often been a struggle because her mind works differently from mine, and it confuses her to have me explain while she looks at something. She can't manage multi-modal input, and I think that's part of the type of CAPD she has. It's very frustrating for both of us when I try to teach her.

This is the weird stuff that I'm seeing. She can't remember basic algebraic concepts, really simple things like what the x and y axis are and order of operations. Working with her, I'm starting to think it's amazing that her SAT math score was as high as it was. She often seems to be able to look at a problem and pull a correct answer out of the air, but if she ever has to work through steps, she runs into problems because she doesn't remember the basics. Over the years I've seen that she can get through work or tests and get an A, but as soon as the course is over, it's like she's never seen the stuff before. She'll actually say she's never seen it before.

Dh says he sees the same thing in working with her in Latin. She got a gold medal on the National Latin Exam as a freshman and has done Latin continually since, but doesn't remember the conjugations and declensions. She also doesn't seem able to apply concepts to a different situation. I see that in math, too.

I haven't done SAT math in over twenty years but I am doing it rather well--if I do say so myself--because I still remember what I learned all those years ago. What's up with dd's lack of retention? Is it a converting short-term to long-term memory issue? I'm really puzzled.

I hope so.

We've emailed back and forth, and she said she definitely wants to wait until we get the further audiological testing. She certainly seems like the kind of person I can communicate well with, so I feel very positive even though I haven't met her in person yet. I would like to ask her straight out how she feels about homeschooling before I take out our retirement money to pay for the full evaluation. ;)

Kelli, your dd has anamolies with her wiring, so to me that's what it sounds like, that something is going in and not processing and registering and making all the pathways. But it seems to me either these testers have to have really good imaginations and sleuthing skills or it would take an MRI and awake testing to figure that out, kwim? But I have no clue. Just saying I don't think it's a simplistic answer.

It sounds like you've got a real gem of a np now, if she's willing to sleuth with you and think through things.

Crazy question. If your dd takes the SAT *without* accommodations and doesn't do well, is it then too late to go back and request accommodations?

Kelli, your dd has anamolies with her wiring, so to me that's what it sounds like, that something is going in and not processing and registering and making all the pathways. But it seems to me either these testers have to have really good imaginations and sleuthing skills or it would take an MRI and awake testing to figure that out, kwim? But I have no clue. Just saying I don't think it's a simplistic answer.

This dd isn't the one with the handwriting issues. Someday soon I'll change my username and then I'll put in a siggy so I can stop confusing people. That doesn't keep your assessment from being accurate. And I would totally like to do the awake MRI testing you're talking about. I once saw a notice at a children's hospital for research participants for that kind of testing at a university. I didn't follow up because I had other things going on at the time, and I didn't know if we would be the right guinea pigs if we didn't have confirmed attention problems.

It sounds like you've got a real gem of a np now, if she's willing to sleuth with you and think through things.

Yes, she does seem good, doesn't she? :)

Crazy question. If your dd takes the SAT *without* accommodations and doesn't do well, is it then too late to go back and request accommodations?

No, by law they still have to accept the application and approve accommodations as long as you have the right documentation. There ideally should be a paper trail, though, especially for cases where the dx is clinical, versus something like a medical issue with very objective test results. The cool thing is that you can apply and get accommodations very early and they may not expire, depending on the condition. I thought I heard of someone getting accommodations approved from the College Board for a dc in 7th or 8th grade.

I hate writing in red.