Menu

Which is better for SAT math prep...Chalk Dust, Kaplan, or ....

I need a solid SAT math prep for a child who did not do well on the math portion of his SAT. His is currently in public school. I do not know what areas he struggles with....just that his math score was low.

I am trying to help out by providing a SAT prep course. Homeschool Buyers' Co-op has the Kaplan course on sale for $49.95.

I can get the Dana Mosely Chalk Dust cd's for around $100 used.

Does anyone have a preference for one of these...or for something else?

I need a solid SAT math prep for a child who did not do well on the math portion of his SAT. His is currently in public school. I do not know what areas he struggles with....just that his math score was low.

I am trying to help out by providing a SAT prep course. Homeschool Buyers' Co-op has the Kaplan course on sale for $49.95.

I can get the Dana Mosely Chalk Dust cd's for around $100 used.

Does anyone have a preference for one of these...or for something else?

Khan Academy has videos that walk a student through the test questions from the Official SAT Study Guide. This is a book available at many libraries as well as used book stores.

The student can take one of the math sections, then watch the video for every question he missed to see how to work the problem. Because there are several sample tests, he could start untimed and then work up to timed sections.

If he doesn't understand the math behind some of the problems, he can work through the videos and practice problems related to that topic.

One thing I like about Khan Academy is that it is both progressive (moves from one topic to the next) and measured (there is built in review as well as little online badges for mastering topics).

Before I paid much for test prep, I would put money toward a math program that would solidify skills he struggles with. In other words, I would spend money mastering fractions or word problems or algebra or geometry rather than on answering specific test questions. There is just too much out there for test prep that is free (online or library) or low cost (this time of year, I'm finding lots of test prep guides in used book stores, library sales and yard sales).

Khan Academy has videos that walk a student through the test questions from the Official SAT Study Guide. This is a book available at many libraries as well as used book stores.

The student can take one of the math sections, then watch the video for every question he missed to see how to work the problem. Because there are several sample tests, he could start untimed and then work up to timed sections.

If he doesn't understand the math behind some of the problems, he can work through the videos and practice problems related to that topic.

One thing I like about Khan Academy is that it is both progressive (moves from one topic to the next) and measured (there is built in review as well as little online badges for mastering topics).

Before I paid much for test prep, I would put money toward a math program that would solidify skills he struggles with. In other words, I would spend money mastering fractions or word problems or algebra or geometry rather than on answering specific test questions. There is just too much out there for test prep that is free (online or library) or low cost (this time of year, I'm finding lots of test prep guides in used book stores, library sales and yard sales).

:iagree:We are loving the College Board's big blue SAT book with Khan Academy. Dd used Chalkdust alone but probably needed more involvement/oversight. I think we are both enjoying doing math with Sal Khan. We laugh a lot.

I agree, but I can only help in this way, by providing some tools that will hopefully help him.

The Kahn Academy looks great! Thanks!

Edited by besroma

:iagree:We are loving the College Board's big blue SAT book with Khan Academy. Dd used Chalkdust alone but probably needed more involvement/oversight. I think we are both enjoying doing math with Sal Khan. We laugh a lot.

I am not familiar with the book, but I will look it up.

ETA: Thanks! This looks great!

Edited by besroma