Menu

Russian math online curriculum for kids - Reasoning Mind

brendag

I did a search to see if anyone here had talked about it before and couldn't find anything. There was a discussion about Russian and Singapore math programs on a non-homeschool site and there was a link to this program.

http://www.reasoningmind.org/

The site map makes it easier to find info. Here is a pdf on the supposed differences between RM and traditional US curriculum.

http://www.reasoningmind.org/pdf/Differences_Between_RM_and_Traditional_Curricula.pdf

There is an individual enrollment option so it can be used as a supplement or a core curriculum. My kids are too young for this, but we use Dreambox Math as a supplement to RightStart since Dreambox also uses the abacus. I'm always on the lookout for the future though. :001_smile:

I was just wondering if anyone here has used it and if so, what do you think?

Brenda

ETA - It is also adaptive. This looks encouraging even if only as a supplement, but I am a math lightweight. Waiting for the "mathies" to watch the sample movies and weigh in. hehe

Edited by brendag

I've been scouring the boards, reading what I can about Russian math. One of my own "rabbit trails". :001_smile: It seemed like there was/is interest among some math lovers. I don't know enough about Russian math to be able to evaluate the website and see if the math was watered down/changed.

The company is a non-profit, but backed by big business including Exxon/Mobile. Hmm....

I keep reading where the Russians taught their math to Singapore. That's when my curiosity kicked in.

Brenda

ETA - Here is an extensive interview with the CEO about the program, its history, etc.

http://www.sramanamitra.com/2009/08/12/teaching-k-12-math-online-reasoning-mind-ceo-alex-khachatryan-part-1/

Edited by brendag

I grew up on Russian math. I haven't had a chance to evaluate the website, but based on my personal experience with original Russian school textbooks, much depends on the teacher. Original textbooks weren't very visual, so unlike SM and especially Beast, you couldn't "see" why formulas work. If you had a crappy teacher (like I did), you were just taught formulas. I think Russian method works best with a teacher that explains conceptually in the classroom.

Having said that, Kisilev geometry textbook is the best. We studied it over the course of four years and I couldn't recommend it more.

Having said that, Kisilev geometry textbook is the best. We studied it over the course of four years and I couldn't recommend it more.

Which 4 years? (i.e. how old were you?) and did you have other mathematics at this time or was it the sole instructional book for those 4 years? I am quite interested in it.

Which 4 years? (i.e. how old were you?) and did you have other mathematics at this time or was it the sole instructional book for those 4 years? I am quite interested in it.

I believe it was grades 6, 7, 8 and 9.

We have geometry twice a week and "math" (prealgebra, algebra. they didn't label them) 4 times a week. We studied on Saturdays as well.

Then in grades 10 and 11 we had calculus and trigonometry.

I've seen mention of Russian math over the decades, and even here. It's not new. Sometimes people were translating and making up their own answer keys. That's all way over my head, and I quickly clicked on other threads. I guess it's new for something more user friendly, though?

I found a student from Harvey Mudd who's thesis was published in May, 2012 about Reasoning Mind. It looks very promising for those that like the Russian way of doing math. They talk about some aspects that need to be improved like experiences that occur in a Russian classroom, but as homeschoolers, we run across that sometimes in curriculum that is designed for classroom use. Adjust how you word things or try to find outside sources to give the kids some of the positive classroom type activities somehow by enrolling in clubs, co-ops, etc.

I see one drawback being the price, but even the big wig funders realize that price will need to come down for this to be implemented in a lot of schools.

My plan was to go to Singapore after RightStart B. Now, I'm seriously wondering. Maybe I'll be a guinnea pig. :D When my kids do their supplemental math, Dreambox, I always sit right there anyway so I can still see exactly what is going on and how they are doing or to answer questions. My husband is a tech executive and started programing in 5th grade back in the 70's using the principles computer so to him, having a little computer time isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If anyone is interested in reading the thesis, here is the link:

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=60&ved=0CHcQFjAJODI&url=http://scholarship.claremont.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1029&context=hmc_theses&ei=1MMZUKvqH8X4igKVv4DYCw&usg=AFQjCNGQyhqAg44U0T51t7T5I5zZk8J5vA

Brenda

I believe it was grades 6, 7, 8 and 9.

We have geometry twice a week and "math" (prealgebra, algebra. they didn't label them) 4 times a week. We studied on Saturdays as well.

Then in grades 10 and 11 we had calculus and trigonometry.

Thanks so much for the information :)