Menu

Questions about banning

NOT prompted by anything recent, I promise! I'm just interested in how this works since during my time here I often see posts deleted but people not banned, and since I think you're not supposed to talk about what got a particular person banned, I have no idea how it happens.

So, are there certain infractions that result in banning? If not, what kinds of things tend to get one banned? Do you get warned or is it a surprise? Is it always for a certain amount of time or does it vary? Are you told how long you'll be banned? Are some banned permanently? What warrants that, if so?

NOT prompted by anything recent, I promise! I'm just interested in how this works since during my time here I often see posts deleted but people not banned, and since I think you're not supposed to talk about what got a particular person banned, I have no idea how it happens.

So, are there certain infractions that result in banning? If not, what kinds of things tend to get one banned? Do you get warned or is it a surprise? Is it always for a certain amount of time or does it vary? Are you told how long you'll be banned? Are some banned permanently? What warrants that, if so?

I've been wondering the same thing. I know the info must be here somewhere. Guess I'm just too lazy to look it up. My wondering was prompted by something I read. Maybe I'll see if I can find the info. Another question....are banned members allowed to come back?

ETA: The only thing I can find in the rules says that members with multiple accounts will be banned.

Edited by shanvan

Well, I was banned sometime between last night and early this morning our time (not sure when because of time differences). The login screen told me why I was banned and when I was allowed back.

I guess you get perma-banned (forever) if you are a troll, spammer, scammer or possibly more than 1 account??

I want to know about the members who become guests and you can't see their old posts. Were they someone with multiple accounts, or a mega troll or something else??

People can get banned for a variety of reasons.

- tagging threads in a snarky manner

- personal attacks against another poster

- sending harassing PMs to another poster

- multiple accounts

Bannings I've heard of range from 24 hours to 3 days to 30 days to permanent.

People who have asked to have their account deleted will have "guest" under their posts. Those who are banned say banned.

I just recently had a post deleted for the first time. :) My post was pretty inoffensive, but I quoted a post that was pretty bad, so I think that's why my post was deleted. But I didn't get banned because I didn't say anything bad.

I just recently had a post deleted for the first time. :) My post was pretty inoffensive, but I quoted a post that was pretty bad, so I think that's why my post was deleted. But I didn't get banned because I didn't say anything bad.

Yes, I was mortified to have post deleted recently, probably for the reason you mention and do not want to end up banned, which is why I was wondering what the rules say. I'm wondering too, if this entire thread is considered against rules. On that note, I'll bow out of the conversation....

Well, I was banned sometime between last night and early this morning our time (not sure when because of time differences). The login screen told me why I was banned and when I was allowed back.

I guess you get perma-banned (forever) if you are a troll, spammer, scammer or possibly more than 1 account??

Bannings I've heard of range from 24 hours to 3 days to 30 days to permanent.

Okay, so let's say I'm banned for 24 hours, but I don't bother to log in for those 24 hours -- would I even know it? Or would it be invisible to me, since I didn't try to log in for that time period.

I assuming the short-term bans are sometimes used as a cooling off period. But I tend to wander off for weeks at a time anyway, which isn't so much a function of needing to cool off as having a poor attention span for any particular internet forum.

Yes, I was mortified to have post deleted recently, probably for the reason you mention and do not want to end up banned, which is why I was wondering what the rules say. I'm wondering too, if this entire thread is considered against rules. On that note, I'll bow out of the conversation....

I was worried about asking, but I'm really not asking about a particular situation and am hoping that it's not against the rules to ask what the rules are and how they work.

Blatant rule violations are generally handled with warnings for a first offense and bannings of increasing length for subsequent offenses. (REALLY blatant violations sometimes earn short bannings the first time.)

You have to work really, really hard to be banned forever.

No problem asking questions. Talking about banned members is discouraged because 1) the banned members can't see what's being said about them and 2) it seems to lead to more rule violations.

HTH. Feel free to PM the moderators with questions.

P.S. Posts that quote from inflammatory deleted posts ARE often removed. That doesn't imply any blame. It's just a way to keep inflammatory comments from staying in circulation.

One other question: If there should be a glitch in the system and someone is banned forever, but they know they didn't do anything that bad ;), what is the best way for them to contact you? Since they are banned and all. :D

I've not been on many boards.....this one and a marriage one....I really really appreciate how TWTM boards are moderated. Here if you are banned it is for a darn good reason...and you and everyone else knows you are banned....the marriage board I was on.....if you get banned you just disappear. There is no way for anyone 'left behind' to know you were banned much less why. There is no PM function there.