Menu

Logic Choices and Schedule for Multiple Children

ljensen1

We'll be doing Logic for the first time next year. I have three children who will be ages 10, 11 and 13.

I'm trying to figure out which books to use and how much time to schedule.

These are the resources I'm looking at:

Mindbenders

Logic Liftoff

Logic Safari

The Fallacy Detective

The Thinking Toolbox

The Art of Argument

Any suggestions on what would be best to start with? Should I have everyone doing the same thing, or should my 13-year-old start with something more challenging?

How many days and how much time per day do you think is necessary?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated:)

I used CAP's The Art of Argument last year with my then 12 year old and it was a hit. He really enjoyed studying the informal logic topics first, it was kind of a soft intro. We did the lessons together, I would think that would be a fun class to do with a group and I think the examples are obvious enough for a younger student to get while still being relevant and fun for the oldest.

After we finished AoA with started Discovery of Deduction and formal logic. That book has been more dry and deals with logic in a way that much more resembles algebra or geometry but still I find it very doable. We will be finishing up the last chapter or so of DoD this fall then going into The Argument Builder.

I had Fallacy Detective, Red Herring (?) and at least one other book but I found that I needed a more text book style to get through this because I never studied logic in school. I highly recommend having the Teacher's Edition book to help if you get stuck, especially in the formal logic parts. :D

If I were you, I would start with one of these:

Logic Liftoff

Logic Safari

I say this because the workbook format is great. A large range of logical topics are covered in both. We began with Logic Liftoff mid-year last year. We will complete the last book soon. I added Connections to focus more on deductive reasoning.

While you look at this, consider both inductive and deductive approaches. For inductive reasoning, the conclusion should be supported by the premise. For deductive reasoning, the conclusion should be derived from the premise. More simply stated, the final outcome for an inductive approach is best eximplified by science. The statements that we make about an experiment in the beginning, which are predicting the outcome, should be the support for our conclusion or final result. Becuase we are heavy on the science in our house, I wanted to concentrate a little more on deductive reasoning. The inductive scientific meathod should suffice to develop this type of logic for now. Read here: http://www.fibonicci.com/logical-reasoning/ This will best demonstrate all three modes. I have not approached abductive reasoning directly in our homeschool yet.

As well, relationships, syllogisms, inference, etc. are all strong skills that these kids will need for test taking (such as the SAT). I love the Logic Liftoff set for this very reason - not to mention they take minutes to complete a few times a week.

So, I would not start with something as complicated as Fallacy Detective until they have a good grasp of the basics. I mention two sets of workbooks exclusively, but there are many, many out there that will serve you just as well, such as Logic Safari and Lollipop Logic to name but two!

Can you tell that I am performing my morning babble again? LOL:lol:

It sounds as though I could use the same material with all three.

Art of Argument is a possibility. However, I wanted to use that the year before formal logic, and I don't know if the younger two would be ready for formal logic the year after next.

I also liked the suggestion for Logic Liftoff and Logic Safari. The workbook approach sounds good to me. However, if I started my 13-year-old here, and then moved into Art of Argument the following year, would I be delaying her entry into formal logic too long?

ChrissySC - thank you for the description of the various types of logic and the link. I'm going to have to think more about how we are already covering logic in our other subjects, and what we need to further emphasize.

It sounds as though I could use the same material with all three.

Art of Argument is a possibility. However, I wanted to use that the year before formal logic, and I don't know if the younger two would be ready for formal logic the year after next.

I also liked the suggestion for Logic Liftoff and Logic Safari. The workbook approach sounds good to me. However, if I started my 13-year-old here, and then moved into Art of Argument the following year, would I be delaying her entry into formal logic too long?

ChrissySC - thank you for the description of the various types of logic and the link. I'm going to have to think more about how we are already covering logic in our other subjects, and what we need to further emphasize.

The whole reason that I mentioned what I did was so that you could fill the gaps instead. I had a dear mother on here point out the instances of inductive reasoning in science, and I was nearly floored with how easy it was to toss in the logic resources to fill the gap for the inductive reasoning, which often involved the way that something was presented and not a worksheet.:lol:

Just remember that you have to go with your "mom gut" on these things. Every single child is different. I think that as long as you approach logic more formally at some point in high school that you are so far ahead of the norm anyway that no one should be overly concerned!

ETA: How many elementary students are studying logic at all? They study for the standard tests, which is usually limited doses of analogies and arithmetic solutions.

Shoot ... how many study formal grammar?

Oh yeah, we are so far ahead of the norm!

Edited by ChrissySC

Thanks. I have to to watch myself. I can get carried away thinking "We should cover that - and that -and that over there." It all sounds so good and important, but then when I stop and think about it I realize that a balanced, not-too-intensive schedule is healthier for us. My kids benefit so much by having time to take a walk in the forest, climb a tree, or just lie on their backs and watch the clouds go by. I'm trying to find a good balance between fairly rigorous academics, many other valuable activities (camping, hiking, gardening, cooking, etc.), and time to just be.

Thanks. I have to to watch myself. I can get carried away thinking "We should cover that - and that -and that over there." It all sounds so good and important, but then when I stop and think about it I realize that a balanced, not-too-intensive schedule is healthier for us. My kids benefit so much by having time to take a walk in the forest, climb a tree, or just lie on their backs and watch the clouds go by. I'm trying to find a good balance between fairly rigorous academics, many other valuable activities (camping, hiking, gardening, cooking, etc.), and time to just be.

Funny, this was the hardest for me. A lot of things can be taught indirectly on those nature walks. You could train their brains for inductive reasoning without them ever realizing it.:lol:

I think this is why Charlotte Mason has me so influenced in the last 8 years. It is that indirect and gentle approach. I still stick to many of my old classical beliefs though! I am one of the original WTM-ers from the 90's, LOL. When all else fails to come across or fails to get done, I shove a book their way and tell them to tell me about it. :)