Menu

If you supplement WWE....

I am using IEW for 3rd and 4th, with the intention of using WWS in 5th.

I was planning to use WWE3 alongside IEW (we used WWE 1 and 2 previously), but I decided that would be too much, plus IEW has my son actually writing, which is a huge feat! I think WWS will be more doable because he'll have learned to not be afraid to put pen to paper.

I don't yet know how well the methods will mesh. I know others here have gone this route though, so it must be doable.

We use WWE and WWW. They are very different and I think complement each other well. Once we get to WWS, I expect to drop WWW.

Yes, we are using this combination as well. We aren't using the dictation in WWE as we do dictation in another curriculum. So that puts us doing WWE 2 days a week, with WWW being done everyday. I am also planning to throw in a picture prompt writing page once a week. I don't think it will be too much as the lessons in WWW are pretty short. I'll see after we get started in a few weeks. :001_smile:

Thanks ladies...I am leaning towards WWW as it looks very simple and as though it may not produce the meltdowns writing has here. If I go with Biblioplan for ancient history, there are also writing prompts there.

I just question whether or not to have her do IEW through the co-op...but that still results in 1 1/2 hrs a week of homework, and that sounds like too much on top of WWE.

We use WWE and WWW. They are very different and I think complement each other well. Once we get to WWS, I expect to drop WWW.

This is us, also. This year for my 2nd grader: WWE 2 (possibly some of 3) + WWW 2 (1/2 of it) + CM-style oral narrations in subjects (Bible, Literature, History, Science) + dictation in AAS + cursive copywork (NAC Copybook).

I think next year (3rd) we'll open up to some Writer's Workshop type of writing, but still plod along with WWE 3 + the second half of WWW 2 (or drop this altogether).

WWW is Winning With Writing, a curriculum very similar to public school teaching.

We use the WWE Instructor's Guide to write in all subjects. I have many "how to write well" books, but for the kids, I use Writers Express and Write Source 2000. Every few months, I browse through the textbooks to get ideas or refresh my teaching. This helps me focus on age-appropriate kids writing skills without trying to fit in another writing curriculum.

We use both and IEW has FINALLY gotten my son, a very reluctant writer to put words on a page! YES! He loves it also, I like the concept of WWE so we throw that in as well but usually do it in 3 days. He writes to pen pals on Fridays and I think next year we will begin Story Starters on Friday as well. He is finally enjoying writing and I think I have IEW to thank for that. I am not sure how well it will correlate with WWS, we are on the 2/3 WWE.

HTH.