Menu

olympic gymnastics question

There is a horribly unfair rule that says only 2 gymnasts from each country get to compete. So even though Jordyn Wieber was fourth, she doesn't get to compete, the girls who were 24th and 25th do though. So ridiculous, but no one asked me. :tongue_smilie:

There is a horribly unfair rule that says only 2 gymnasts from each country get to compete. So even though Jordyn Wieber was fourth, she doesn't get to compete, the girls who were 24th and 25th do though. So ridiculous, but no one asked me. :tongue_smilie:

So this is the touchy feely olympics where they try not to hurt any particular country's feelings. Isn't that special.

What you watched last night was the mens' team finals. Tonight is the womens' team finals. All of the gymnasts can perform for the team finals.

Each team can also enter their top two gymasts (as they perform in the Olympics) for the All Around finals. It's a new rule. It means that the top 24 no longer are in this competition. It's stupid. So, the US has a GREAT team this year. They had 3 out of the 4 top gymnasts. But, only two from each team could go on. So, (my favorite gymast) Jordyn Weiber couldn't compete in the all-around.

I think you are getting the team competition (the men last night) with the individual all-around competition. The women's team competition is 3 up, 3 down. The women's individual all-around (what Nastia won 4 years ago) is what is limited to 2 per team, though they compete individually, and that competition has not taken place yet.

There are also individual titles on each event. Those usually are held last, if I remember correctly. That is where Shawn Johnson won her gold last time--on beam.

Terri

It is so strange that they made this new rule. :001_huh: The top 24 should compete regardless of their country of origin. I noticed that this rule change negatively effected Russia as well and , I think, China. They had 3 in the top 24 too, like the US.

You can look at the Worlds and it looks like mostly USA, China, Japan and Russia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_World_Artistic_Gymnastics_Championships

Canada, France and Germany also usually have people in the finals.

I'm also confused at how a few years ago it was 7 gymnasts competing for the team and now it is 5? I also thought more of them used to compete on each event? I could be wrong, though... I don't really know anything about gymnastics, and it is hard to remember from four years ago.

I also felt like they used to show more teams competing. It seemed like this year they only showed the US and a few short blips of Russia and barely any of Romania. They didn't show any China at all?

Does anyone else remember when they used to vault twice too?

By limiting the team size it allows more of the smaller countries to compete (there are countries that may not have 7 Olympic caliber athletes, but do have 5).

Also, in swimming there are only 2 athletes per country allowed to even swim in the qualifying rounds, so you're not guaranteed to have the best in the world in swimming either, it's just that they've weeded it down to 2 before we ever see them swim in the Olympics.