Menu

If you are NOT American but have been to the US...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My word! What does she put in them?

A friend of my inlaws has this syndrome where she worries about starving. She survived a war in Europe and they never had food. She buys fresh food and freezes it. It is both bizarre and sad. She has several freezers. We have a separate freezer in the garage. It is half empty right now. I went through my whole I need to buy a homegrown cow pig chickens and all of that a while back.

This thread is really interesting, especially as I have never traveled outside of the U.S. It also makes me a little sad at how our patriotism is viewed, even by our own citizens. Especially when I think of the many relatives I have that have served, and my cousins who were deployed multiple times to the Middle East. Including one whose life will probably never be the same (not for the better either) since these recent deployments. I thank him every chance I get, and we proudly display our flag in honor of those who have sacrificed any part of their lives for our country. I will never take our freedom for granted, even if it means looking defensive or silly. Don't want to debate, just giving my $.02. :)

This thread is really interesting, especially as I have never traveled outside of the U.S. It also makes me a little sad at how our patriotism is viewed, even by our own citizens. Especially when I think of the many relatives I have that have served, and my cousins who were deployed multiple times to the Middle East. Including one whose life will probably never be the same (not for the better either) since these recent deployments. I thank him every chance I get, and we proudly display our flag in honor of those who have sacrificed any part of their lives for our country. I will never take our freedom for granted, even if it means looking defensive or silly. Don't want to debate, just giving my $.02. :)

I have often wished that Canadians could be just a little more patriotic. I don't think being proud of your country is a bad thing at all. Even if it sometimes looks silly from the outside looking in.

I thank him every chance I get, and we proudly display our flag in honor of those who have sacrificed any part of their lives for our country. I will never take our freedom for granted, even if it means looking defensive or silly. Don't want to debate, just giving my $.02. :)

Those in other countries may feel just as patriotic and be just as concerned about freedoms, but may not show it in the same way as you, nor understand your displays. That is the point of this thread. Not to make anyone feel silly or to cause them to change their behaviour.

At one point in my lifetime, the Union Flag (AKA Union Jack) was mostly flown by far rightwing racists. It was not something that most British people would have flown.

An American might have been shocked by the lack of flags, not understanding the reason and assuming a lack of patriotism. Countries have different cultural and historical imperatives, and it's always worth considering how others see us, whether right or wrong.

Laura (niece just returned from serving in Afghanistan)

Edited by Laura Corin

Really biscuits and gravy is just a type of quick bread with a white sauce and sausage. Grits is just a different kind of boiled grain, like oatmeal, or quinoa for that matter. Neither is particularly yummy IMO but not particularly bad either. Now the chocolate covered cricket I ate at the farmer's market (for a psychology student doing a study) - THAT was something to get grossed out about :lol:

The flag thing is interesting because I mostly think of businesses flying the flag (other than on a few specifically patriotic holidays). Often the business has their "own" flag flying too. The cynical part of me thinks of it more as a type of flying "ad" rather than any kind of display of patriotism :001_huh: Even so I suppose it means there is a cultural identity that they're trying to "latch" on to.

About the patriotism, I found it really surprising when we went to a comedy night in the US last year, and after thanking the cast and crew, they asked any military people to stand up and then applauded them. I didn't like that. Personally, I'd rather applaud anyone who's, say, volunteered their time/money helping others.

From a homeschoolers p.o.v., I'm also surprised at the amount of teaching time is US folks spend on state/national history. Canadians spend much less, and I'd be curious about what the norm is in other countries. I suppose this strong focus in schools leads to patriot adults.

I'd say though, what I find most shocking in the US is that your average joe can carry a gun. It actually makes me not want to go there, and on our recent vacation there, I was more than a little concerned about it. I felt very unsafe whenever it crossed my mind.

One thing I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet is smoking and the amount of free stuff you get in restaurants ie. free bread and drink refills. When I went to Europe one of the first things that I noticed (apart from how different the air feels there :001_huh:) was how it seemed everybody smoked and in restaurants you had to remember exactly how many bread rolls you ate or Mozartkugelns because they would ask you at the end of your meal and add it to your tab. I panicked a little the first time that happened to me there because they put the rolls on the table and said nothing and I assumed it was free like in the US since I had ordered gulash I figured it came with my meal. When the guy at the end asked me how many rolls I ate I was shocked and couldn't remember. I had to guess. lol That was very surprising to me. They must have though I was crazy though anyway because I tipped also on top of the bill and the guy just looked at me like I was really clueless. hehehehehe :p

About the patriotism, I found it really surprising when we went to a comedy night in the US last year, and after thanking the cast and crew, they asked any military people to stand up and then applauded them. I didn't like that. Personally, I'd rather applaud anyone who's, say, volunteered their time/money helping others.

From a homeschoolers p.o.v., I'm also surprised at the amount of teaching time is US folks spend on state/national history. Canadians spend much less, and I'd be curious about what the norm is in other countries. I suppose this strong focus in schools leads to patriot adults.

I'd say though, what I find most shocking in the US is that your average joe can carry a gun. It actually makes me not want to go there, and on our recent vacation there, I was more than a little concerned about it. I felt very unsafe whenever it crossed my mind.

Really? :confused: (Not being snarky at all, just surprised) Yes, volunteers are greatly underappreciated, but I honestly do not know any volunteers that spend months/years away from their wives and young children. Or have to be medicated to deal with panic attacks and anxiety after witnessing awful things during deployment.

One of the minor reasons we are homeschooling is the lack of history being taught where we live. US history or otherwise. It's pretty shameful actually.

As far as gun carrying, my husband had to have a backround check through the local sheriff's department, and attend a class in order to get his concealed permit. I don't believe permits are issued willy nilly to anyone, at least in my state.

Those in other countries may feel just as patriotic and be just as concerned about freedoms, but may not show it in the same way as you, nor understand your displays. That is the point of this thread. Not to make anyone feel silly or to cause them to change their behaviour.

At one point in my lifetime, the Union Flag (AKA Union Jack) was mostly flown by far rightwing racists. It was not something that most British people would have flown.

An American might have been shocked by the lack of flags, not understanding the reason and assuming a lack of patriotism. Countries have different cultural and historical imperatives, and it's always worth considering how others see us, whether right or wrong.

Laura (niece just returned from serving in Afghanistan)

I understand your point and the point of the thread. I guess I just read it as we are overzealous for very little reason. I guess it strikes a nerve, coming from a family where most males have served our country. It's a lot of sacrifice on their part that I feel deserves recognition. That's all. :001_smile:

People in other countries don't value their military any less just because they wouldn't stand and applaud them or do anything special during a mundane movie show. I think if you come from a country where wars have been fraught on your own streets and almost everybody from a small child to an old person military or civilian has some sort of post traumatic stress disorder, such displays are a bit "strange" (for a lack of a better word). I come from a place where unfortunately every generation has seen wars and hunger at some point. Many of us have witnessed lots of horrors and buried loved ones and many can't afford medication they need to deal with it. That's not to say they don't appreciate their military if they don't display local flags or salut them on occasions. I just think culturally coming from countries where the majority have shared the horrors, display of patriotism is just not visible, sometimes can be even seen as bad taste (stirs up too much). So, an outside perspective of flags and "let's stand up to thank the military during the movie" is different.

People in other countries don't value their military any less just because they wouldn't stand and applaud them or do anything special during a mundane movie show. I think if you come from a country where wars have been fraught on your own streets and almost everybody from a small child to an old person military or civilian has some sort of post traumatic stress disorder, such displays are a bit "strange" (for a lack of a better word). I come from a place where unfortunately every generation has seen wars and hunger at some point. Many of us have witnessed lots of horrors and buried loved ones and many can't afford medication they need to deal with it. That's not to say they don't appreciate their military if they don't display local flags or salut them on occasions. I just think culturally coming from countries where the majority have shared the horrors, display of patriotism is just not visible, sometimes can be even seen as bad taste (stirs up too much). So, an outside perspective of flags and "let's stand up to thank the military during the movie" is different.

I was not asserting other countries were less patriotic. I really have no idea on that. Was just trying to explain why you see some of the recognition and displays here. It's very much more apparent now due to being in an active conflict and troops have been coming and going for quite some time.

Human suffering of any kind is devastating, no doubt, as you described. But to volunteer to put yourself in danger or willing to die for your country when you certainly do not have to, is very honorable and deserving of special recognition. IMO, of course. :001_smile:

People in other countries don't value their military any less just because they wouldn't stand and applaud them or do anything special during a mundane movie show. I think if you come from a country where wars have been fraught on your own streets and almost everybody from a small child to an old person military or civilian has some sort of post traumatic stress disorder, such displays are a bit "strange" (for a lack of a better word).

Maybe because in the US, there have been no wars on US soil for so long, that only members of the military see any combat. Civilians don't.

Also I think it's guilt because so few people have anything to do with serving, and it's all piled on the volunteers. I think some people feel a twinge of guilt and want to assuage it by waving a flag at a veteran.

Maybe because in the US, there have been no wars on US soil for so long, that only members of the military see any combat. Civilians don't.

Also I think it's guilt because so few people have anything to do with serving, and it's all piled on the volunteers. I think some people feel a twinge of guilt and want to assuage it by waving a flag at a veteran.

I can see this.

I certainly find it quite strange how military personnel are like gods in the US.

I was wondering, is there a special day to appreciate them? Or is that maybe part of Independence Day? Or Remembrance Day? (You have that, right?) I was thinking that maybe having ANZAC Day in Australia as a focal point could be part of the reason we don't have the same reverence towards the armed services for the rest of the year.

Re visiting the US, I have never been (hubby has, but only to San Francisco) and never wanted to go before but I am starting to wish we could since doing the Cultural Exchange with two lovely US families in our group.

I certainly find it quite strange how military personnel are like gods in the US.

I was wondering, is there a special day to appreciate them? Or is that maybe part of Independence Day? Or Remembrance Day? (You have that, right?) I was thinking that maybe having ANZAC Day in Australia as a focal point could be part of the reason we don't have the same reverence towards the armed services for the rest of the year.

Re visiting the US, I have never been (hubby has, but only to San Francisco) and never wanted to go before but I am starting to wish we could since doing the Cultural Exchange with two lovely US families in our group.

Memorial Day is when we reflect as a nation on the sacrifice our troops have made for our country. Independence Day also is a day of remembrance of the price of our freedom and of the troops in general as well who have served in all of the wars. There is also Veteran's Day as well.

Mostly what this thread makes me think is how dependent it is on what part of the country you visit. There are a lot of differences between parts of the country and sometimes people just visiting from another state can be surprised.

I know a lot of people come to NJ and are surprised by how green everything is, how many farms, forests, etc. there are. People seem to think NJ is all one massive city (an extension of NYC) with a few beaches and boardwalks (ala Jersey Shore) along the edge. :tongue_smilie:

Mostly what this thread makes me think is how dependent it is on what part of the country you visit. There are a lot of differences between parts of the country and sometimes people just visiting from another state can be surprised.

:iagree::iagree: It's a big country and very varied culturally depending on the region. Shoot we don't even all speak the same English or in the same accent in the same country! I was amused when I went up to NY that they call pizza a "pie". It's a pizza! Pie is the thing with the pretty crust and apples inside. :p And it's SODA not pop! :D :leaving: :auto:

:iagree::iagree: It's a big country and very varied culturally depending on the region. Shoot we don't even all speak the same English or in the same accent in the same country! I was amused when I went up to NY that they call pizza a "pie". It's a pizza! Pie is the thing with the pretty crust and apples inside. :p And it's SODA not pop! :D :leaving: :auto:

No way! It is totally POP. :D

Really biscuits and gravy is just a type of quick bread with a white sauce and sausage. Grits is just a different kind of boiled grain, like oatmeal, or quinoa for that matter. Neither is particularly yummy IMO but not particularly bad either. Now the chocolate covered cricket I ate at the farmer's market (for a psychology student doing a study) - THAT was something to get grossed out about :lol:

I think it was what they made the gravy out of that turned me off.

Pop is your father! Soda is what you drink although some people in Florida call it all Coke. I've heard people say, "What flavor Coke you want?" referring to orange SODA, grape SODA etc. :D hehehe

:lol: Oh yes! It took me FOREVER to get out of that habit.

I'd ask: You want a Coke?

They'd say: Sure.

I'd ask: What kind of Coke?

They'd look at me a little funny and say: A... liquid Coke?

I'd look at them funny and ask: Yeah. What KIND?

They'd get uncomfortable and say: Um... whatever kind you have?

And, I'd list: I've got Grape, Orange, Diet Coke and Coke-Coke.

Then they'd pick what kind they wanted and shake their heads like they'd never heard of a Coke before.

Weirdos. Sheesh! :001_rolleyes:

:biggrinjester:

:lol: Oh yes! It took me FOREVER to get out of that habit.

I'd ask: You want a Coke?

They'd say: Sure.

I'd ask: What kind of Coke?

They'd look at me a little funny and say: A... liquid Coke?

I'd look at them funny and ask: Yeah. What KIND?

They'd get uncomfortable and say: Um... whatever kind you have?

And, I'd list: I've got Grape, Orange, Diet Coke and Coke-Coke.

Then they'd pick what kind they wanted and shake their heads like they'd never heard of a Coke before.

Weirdos. Sheesh! :001_rolleyes:

:biggrinjester:

or a Coke-Coke! :lol: You nailed it exactly! lol What part of Florida are you from?? I never knew you were from here. :)

I also find many things are somewhat impersonal. People in the US are often reluctant to help or "don't want to get involved." Whereas when visiting my in laws, a random woman on the street once told my husband he was carrying my kid wrong, people tell you what food to eat (as in, you MUST eat this, it's so healthy!) or comment directly on your weight, neighbors stop in to visit all the time, people adjust your clothes for you, and random people will hold your kids for you. In the US, everyone assumes you want privacy and/or to be alone. Even my mom thinks that when I go to visit my in laws, I have lots of time alone with my husband. Quite the contrary. And if I go into my bedroom, people think I'm sick or angry. It's not normal to be alone in many other cultures, but it's often the norm in the US.

I guess you didn't move to the South U.S.A!!

I get the impression that with such a huge country and all those states, there's probably as much variety as between all the nations of Europe. (Apart from the fact that, in theory at least, most of you speak the same language.)

Hmmm, probably need a month to get a decent look around. Have to add it to the bucket list.

I get the impression that with such a huge country and all those states, there's probably as much variety as between all the nations of Europe. (Apart from the fact that, in theory at least, most of you speak the same language.)

LOL In theory yes. :D hehehehe

or a Coke-Coke! :lol: You nailed it exactly! lol What part of Florida are you from?? I never knew you were from here. :)

WPB & Key West.

When I moved away (to OK), people were always giving me a hard time about the Coke thing, too. A friend once told me, "You've got to stop asking people what kind of Coke they want. You're from Florida. We're all thinking you're a dealer every time you do that."

:lol:

Nosing in on a thread where I'm not one of the people asked, but wanted to comment on the patriotism stuff. I totally see where people are coming from about it. I remember sitting aboard ship in the aftermath of 9/11 watching CNN and being utterly disgusted with all the fly-by-night flag-waving by people who'd never lifted a finger for their country or possibly even their fellow man, and the incidents of beating up girls in hijab, etc. I was rather disgusted that I was there defending those yahoos.

Then I thought about it some more and decided I'd rather defend them than actually serve with them.

Often I've felt a need to speak up and say I was patriotic before it was the current fad. I also get disgusted with people who want to wave a flag but don't take time to learn the proper symbolic respect and rituals that are supposed to accompany it.

I've expeerienced culture shock in my own country as well as in others, because it's so large and diverse. The one place outside the U.S. that seemed the most like home was Darwin, Australia--red dirt and cattle, just like West Texas! The more ready availability of beer was a plus in my way of thinking. Heck, there was even Wal-Mart.

I sometimes get that same sense that everything is crazy big here. It makes me want to run away and drop off the grid to live in a ger.

Then I start contemplating solar power for my laptop...

[quote=Ravin;4165291

Often I've felt a need to speak up and say I was patriotic before it was the current fad. I also get disgusted with people who want to wave a flag but don't take time to learn the proper symbolic respect and rituals that are supposed to accompany it.

The #1 reason I've never flown a flag at our various homes is the rituals. I know myself too well to think I would raise and lower it each day.

WPB & Key West.

When I moved away (to OK), people were always giving me a hard time about the Coke thing, too. A friend once told me, "You've got to stop asking people what kind of Coke they want. You're from Florida. We're all thinking you're a dealer every time you do that."

:lol:

ROFL :lol::lol::lol::lol: Too funny! My great grandma was from Key West. :) I'm from Ft. Lauderdale. :)

I agree with you Ravin and Meriwether about the flag. I'm pretty much a "live and let live" type of person when it comes to what others do, but I have to admit I do get upset when I see a people flying a ragged and torn Old Glory. It seems so disrespectful to me. :(

Nosing in on a thread where I'm not one of the people asked, but wanted to comment on the patriotism stuff. I totally see where people are coming from about it. I remember sitting aboard ship in the aftermath of 9/11 watching CNN and being utterly disgusted with all the fly-by-night flag-waving by people who'd never lifted a finger for their country or possibly even their fellow man, and the incidents of beating up girls in hijab, etc. I was rather disgusted that I was there defending those yahoos.

Then I thought about it some more and decided I'd rather defend them than actually serve with them.

I've expeerienced culture shock in my own country as well as in others, because it's so large and diverse. The one place outside the U.S. that seemed the most like home was Darwin, Australia--red dirt and cattle, just like West Texas! The more ready availability of beer was a plus in my way of thinking. Heck, there was even Wal-Mart.

I sometimes get that same sense that everything is crazy big here. It makes me want to run away and drop off the grid to live in a ger.

Then I start contemplating solar power for my laptop...

One more comment, and I will stop hi-jacking the thread. :D

I did not know being patriotic was a fad. :confused: I guess I grew up in a patriotic family and region. Waving a flag is not reserved for any certain type of citizen. The patriotism comments have me baffled.

I love the libraries here. I love it that the waiters and waitresses are dignified instead of feeling/looking inferior to the customers they serve, I love it that the air hosts and hostesses are all ages, not just tall, young, slender young women, I love it that strangers on the streets will help me with genuine care when I need help. The parks and the beaches are free! There are no walls around any colleges to enclose them. There are many volunteers, and English classes are free. I experienced just the opposite before I came here.

The US is a great country. Its name in My native language means "beautiful country". I love this country.

However, I agree that everything is bigger, especially PEOPLE. I didn't see any obviously overweight person two years ago in the three big cities i visited in my home country, which is just as big as the US.

Edited by aomom

Speaking of refrigerators....My MIL has 3 of them and 3 huge mega freezers. Don't tell me it's just an American thing. :lol:

And it was just her and my FIL!

I see this a lot. One in the garage w just drinks. One in the basement so you don't have to walk upstairs...or for stocked up food. One in the kitchen. Plus big deep freezers. Totally normal in mh neighborhood.

The #1 reason I've never flown a flag at our various homes is the rituals. I know myself too well to think I would raise and lower it each day.

:iagree:

I know I wouldn't be able to properly care for a flag, I can't even keep a gold fish alive (which is probably less work).

My mother is in the Air Force, as was my aunt and uncle and grandfather. My brother also served. So I've travelled all over the country and lived in several different "regions", and my mother was stationed oversees, but I spent most of my childhood in North Dakota. I agree with pp that you can experience culture shock just moving across the US. There is a HUGE difference between life in New Jersey and life in Georgia, or in North Dakota for that matter. My husband and I have lived in four different cities in three different states, and they have all been vastly different in terms of the local culture. The storefronts and fast food chains may look the same, but the differences are there.

I was born and raised in the USA. When I came back from my time overseas (Belize, Malawi) the thing that shocked me was the toothpaste aisle.

In Belize or Malawi, we were happy to FIND toothpaste. One brand, happy to have it. Or soap, one brand, happy to have it. Here, it's 47 varieties of toothpaste!?!!?!?! Thirty-nine choices for soap? It really is mind-boggling, even to me.

The other thing that stood out to me was the shallowness and exorbitant wealth of the American churches.

I was shocked how many cereal kinds you can have. There are just way too many choices to make here. I think this is just a sign of affluence. :iagree::iagree::iagree:

The biggest shocks to me, coming back stateside as a child, were:

MILK (I could NOT stand milk! Milk was gross to me. In the Pacific, it was either lumpy canned milk or it was thin, watery powdered milk. To this day, I don't like whole or skim milk. It must be 2% or straight from the cow.

How overly sexualised and misbehaving kids were at school. I was used to uniforms, everyone competing (while encouraging and working together) for good grades, no sassing, very few swats, love of our teachers and loving our teachers, the entire class was a unit and we all got along (okay, a few of us had a tiff here or there and always made up), we were pretty innocent and sheltered, and whites/blacks were the minority (PI's and Asians were the majority). Moved to the states and boys were pushing girls up against walls to "clothes burn", teachers were nasty mean and didn't do anything if you were assaulted (some would even laugh at you), classrooms of kids divided and tearing one another apart, etc. I HATED school. The town we moved to was split white/black and we had maybe two Asian kids in school between the time we moved there and graduation (and one was pretty badly harassed for being Asian). My first impression racially was "white kids are mean" and "black kids are pretty nice; they puzzle me, but they are nice". I didn't understand the whole racial bigotry issue. I didn't see it on military bases and it wasn't an issue in private school in the Pacific.

I am completely lost as to what is happening in this thread. :confused:

I think it's my fault for bringing up my friend's mother's observation about how prominent the flag is here. I had no idea such an innocent (and true) comment, would start a kerfluffle. Sorryyyyyyy. :blushing:

It is the same as you describe: architecture, language, food....

Some of the things I noticed most when I first came:

the buildings (coming from Europe, I was used to stone buildings which last centuries. Seeing the way houses are built here was very strange, and churches in strip malls are odd - to us, a church is big and has a spire and the bells ring at every hour.)

Ok, I'm totally curious. How is it strange or different?

Keep in mind I'm not very well traveled or well versed in this sort of thing with other countries, so, while I know that things are different elsewhere (and smaller, usually), I'm just curious about the specific house differences!!

I also find many things are somewhat impersonal. People in the US are often reluctant to help or "don't want to get involved." Whereas when visiting my in laws, a random woman on the street once told my husband he was carrying my kid wrong, people tell you what food to eat (as in, you MUST eat this, it's so healthy!) or comment directly on your weight, neighbors stop in to visit all the time, people adjust your clothes for you, and random people will hold your kids for you. In the US, everyone assumes you want privacy and/or to be alone. Even my mom thinks that when I go to visit my in laws, I have lots of time alone with my husband. Quite the contrary. And if I go into my bedroom, people think I'm sick or angry. It's not normal to be alone in many other cultures, but it's often the norm in the US.

:lol: Ok, this is literally what went through my mind as I read this - 'if someone tried to tell me I was carrying my kid wrong I would glare at them; it's no one's business what I eat; if they comment on my weight I'll be in a bad mood the rest of the day; i don't mind friends visiting, but I don't want to see the neighbors; ahh! Invade personal space much?; and not.a.chance.' :D :lol: American 100% I'd say!

I do think that we can be a little oversensitive (like the weight thing), I guess as part of the whole culture of everyone being accepted/anti bullying thing? Idk, just pondering...

Anyway, I just had to post that because the thought of all those things made me think I would pull my hair out if they happened to me. :D (Oh, and please don't think I'm trying to offend you - I'm laughing at myself here and saying all this in good humor. :) )

My kids had a lot of trouble adjusting to the fact that they couldn't just wave their hands in the air and cars would stop for them to cross the street!

Ha! College students seem to think stepping out in front of lines of traffic here is totally OK though. :D (And yes, it drives me crazy! Wait til I'm outta the way or at a red light or something!)

It's often amusing when an American moves to a European or Asian country and expects to find spacious homes like those in the US.

That is funny. Even with my limited knowledge of life in other countries, I know that homes just aren't as big. I will honestly say I can't imagine actually surviving in a house as small as some are in other countries.

I was asked to give my impressions. The precise phrase was, "What does American culture "feel" like to you". It felt to me as if the US was trying too hard. Perhaps I should have said that I found Americans defensive.....

I just wanted to jump in real quick and say another thought is that, being a relatively young country, I think it's still all in everyone's head all of what was fought for. You know, it's one thing (neither bad nor good) when a country was built and fought for farther back - there is just so much since then. Whereas in the US, it's only been a couple hundred years.

I can't explain why I'm patriotic - we don't have a flag outside or anything, so we're not super-patriotic - but I do tear up at memorial day services and stuff when I think about the sacrifices made. Though at the same time, it does all seem sort of like something I'm looking at through a window, or something, as opposed to being a part of it, since I'm not in the military I guess?

Granted, I also get teary with every gold medal we win. So.... yeah. :tongue_smilie:

(Anyway, that was much longer than I intended, but I just wanted to say I didn't find what you said offensive. It actually made sense to me, especially as you aren't from here. :) Oh, and I'm totally curious about the Corin part of your username?)

Also, I will say that I always feel very uncomfortable if I have to go into a small store. I don't know why (and it drives dh crazy),but I HATE having to ask a store person for help, and I really hate it when they come up to me to offer to help. I think it is from growing up in the Walmart generation and being a bit introverted already. Now with Amazon Prime, I almost never shop in little stores.

Oh, and I love having a large refrigerator! I see the small ones on British television (like Doctor Who or whatnot), and am so thankful I have all the room I do.

YES I can't stand little stores! I always feel bad if I don't buy something. Like, if people try to help me I'm like, 'no thanks' - because then I feel even WORSE if I don't buy anything. I feel like the workers of a small store are just watching and waiting for me to make a purchase, and like it's offensive of me not to. (Oh, and I agree on the large refrigerator. I actually want a bigger one! I can't imagine shopping more than once a week - just seems like a waste of time/money/gas. Of course the gas thing is a big part of it, since I have to drive everywhere - I DO wish that more places in the US were more walker friendly. That's one of the things I loved about NY.)

Hmmm, probably need a month to get a decent look around. Have to add it to the bucket list.

Hmmm....maybe. Maybe not. My former stepfather talked like that guy on the waterboy (adam sandler movie) that no one could understand lol...

I think it's my fault for bringing up my friend's mother's observation about how prominent the flag is here. I had no idea such an innocent (and true) comment, would start a kerfluffle. Sorryyyyyyy. :blushing:

Your comments didn't puzzle me. I am just dumbfounded as to why any of it would offend anyone, and I am as patriotic as they come. I teach flag etiquette in our American Heritage Girls group, which is largely made up of military families, including my own.

Surely, it is at least *understandable* that our dedication to our flag stands out? Heck, our national anthem is dedicated to our flag. The fact that some people not from the US would be puzzled by this has nothing to do with patriotism or lack thereof.

Your comments didn't puzzle me. I am just dumbfounded as to why any of it would offend anyone, and I am as patriotic as they come. I teach flag etiquette in our American Heritage Girls group, which is largely made up of military families, including my own.

Surely, it is at least *understandable* that our dedication to our flag stands out? Heck, our national anthem is dedicated to our flag. The fact that some people not from the US would be puzzled by this has nothing to do with patriotism or lack thereof.

I totally and completely :iagree::iagree: with you Mrs. Mungo.

I just wanted to jump in real quick and say another thought is that, being a relatively young country, I think it's still all in everyone's head all of what was fought for. You know, it's one thing (neither bad nor good) when a country was built and fought for farther back - there is just so much since then. Whereas in the US, it's only been a couple hundred years.

(Anyway, that was much longer than I intended, but I just wanted to say I didn't find what you said offensive. It actually made sense to me, especially as you aren't from here. :) Oh, and I'm totally curious about the Corin part of your username?)

I was struck today in the obituaries for Gore Vidal (please, let's not go off on a tangent about Gore Vidal!) on the radio. They mentioned that he had talked about his long perspective on US life, having lived through 3/4 of the 20th Century and close to 1/3 of the history of the US. That's really hard for someone like me to take in.

Corin is a surname in my family, although it's not mine.

Laura

I was struck today in the obituaries for Gore Vidal (please, let's not go off on a tangent about Gore Vidal!) on the radio. They mentioned that he had talked about his long perspective on US life, having lived through 3/4 of the 20th Century and close to 1/3 of the history of the US. That's really hard for someone like me to take in.

Corin is a surname in my family, although it's not mine.

Laura

I was just curious. :) We have a relative with the name Corin, and we are currently reading some Narnia and it's in there, too, so it's been on the brain... it just sort of jumped out at me (in your username). :)