Menu

Entrepreneurship program

My son just went for it and started his own company seven days after he turned 18. (He had done a lot of preparatory work beforehand.) At this point, he has taught himself double-entry bookkeeping and dealt with subcontractors, taxes, people not paying their bills, customer relations.....He has discovered a lot about how to handle mailing overseas, why having an adequate parts inventory is important.....

If your son has a vision of what he wants to do, experience is an amazing teacher!

Your library will have a huge collection of books about starting your own company. Encourage your son to read them!

I would be interested in this too! We have children who are definitely headed into owning their own businesses and are thinking even now of things they can do together to make money and learn. This next summer I think we will work harder at developing that for them, but a guide would help!

Cindy

My son just went for it and started his own company seven days after he turned 18. (He had done a lot of preparatory work beforehand.) At this point, he has taught himself double-entry bookkeeping and dealt with subcontractors, taxes, people not paying their bills, customer relations.....He has discovered a lot about how to handle mailing overseas, why having an adequate parts inventory is important.....

If your son has a vision of what he wants to do, experience is an amazing teacher!

Your library will have a huge collection of books about starting your own company. Encourage your son to read them!

Gwen,

Care to share what your ds is doing? Inquiring minds want to know:001_smile:

Have you contacted your local Junior Achievement? I was able to get (for free) two entrepreneur curriculum kits: one for middle school and one for high school. (I plan to use them starting this fall with my 7th & 10th grader.) All their programs are geared toward classrooms & large groups, but they can easily be adapted for homeschool.

Here is the link to the national organization: http://ja.org/. And here's a link to the high school level JA Be Entrepreneurial curriculum: http://ja.org/programs/programs_high_be_entre.shtml.

My local JA was VERY helpful and accomodating. I had to attend a brief (1-1.5 hour) training session, and now I can access all of their other programs as well (without any additional training, I believe).

Many of the JA programs (available for K-12) look wonderful. I might eventually use them in our homeschool co-op group, since many of the programs look like they are intended to last for about 8 weekly sessions.

He designs, builds, and sells stunt kites.

If you want to see what he is up to, his website is sturdy-designs.com and his company's facebook page is Sturdy Designs.

LOVE this! What a cool company!!

Have you contacted your local Junior Achievement? I was able to get (for free) two entrepreneur curriculum kits: one for middle school and one for high school. (I plan to use them starting this fall with my 7th & 10th grader.) All their programs are geared toward classrooms & large groups, but they can easily be adapted for homeschool.

Here is the link to the national organization: http://ja.org/. And here's a link to the high school level JA Be Entrepreneurial curriculum: http://ja.org/programs/programs_high_be_entre.shtml.

My local JA was VERY helpful and accomodating. I had to attend a brief (1-1.5 hour) training session, and now I can access all of their other programs as well (without any additional training, I believe).

Many of the JA programs (available for K-12) look wonderful. I might eventually use them in our homeschool co-op group, since many of the programs look like they are intended to last for about 8 weekly sessions.

Thank-you! I talked with the local office this a.m.- very helpful and friendly!