Menu

Read-Alouds for Young Boys (5 yrs) ??

Guest xap

Guest Xapis10

We already read a fair amount the short books from the smaller kids section of the library. I'd be looking for something geared more toward the 5-year-old. We'd like inspiring, "manly" character stories.

Maybe you have your own list, or maybe there are such lists online? Any suggestions would be appreciated - thanks much!

Er, well, I don't know any "manly" stories off the top of my head, but we're halfway through reading "James and the Giant Peach" right now, and dd loves it. She forced me to read her four chapters today. It's a good enough story so that I want to see what happens next, but with enough naughtiness and silliness so that dd thinks it's just wonderful.

Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder comes to mind. Trumpet of the Swan, by EB White is good too. My younger ds would not have been able to sit through them at 3, but older ds could have.

Er, well, I don't know any "manly" stories off the top of my head, but we're halfway through reading "James and the Giant Peach" right now, and dd loves it. She forced me to read her four chapters today. It's a good enough story so that I want to see what happens next, but with enough naughtiness and silliness so that dd thinks it's just wonderful.

:iagree: with both of these. My boys loved all the Little House books, Trumpet of the Swan and James and the Giant Peach. Ramona books, Henry Huggins books, Mr. Popper's Penguins, and The Enormous Egg were also favorites.

Guest Xapis10

Thanks for the ideas so far :) I'm glad I asked - I wouldn't have necessarily thought of Trumpet of the Swan as a book boys would like. Does it have a simpler version, or did you read the original?

Favorites of ours at about that age:

My Father’s Dragon series

Charlotte’s Web

Trumpet of the Swan (we read the original, both my boys have liked it even if they didn’t understand it all at that age)

Babe

Nim’s Island

Toys Go Out series by Emily Jenkins

The Water Horse by Dick King-Smith

Tumtum and Nutmeg by Emily Bearn

Owls in the Family

Little House books

Ramona books

Wow, thanks!!

Did one of these happen to deal with truth-telling?

Actually, yes...the book The Stories Julian Tells is about a little boy who loves to "embellish" the truth many times at the expense of his younger brother. It's a very cute book, but a great jumping off point to talk about being truthful. There is a whole series of the books staring Julian and his little brother. Our library had them so I'd look there first.

• 3 weeks later...

My older children were just reminiscing about these as I start the whoooole 4 year family list all over again for the last time (we need a sort of bittersweet smilie).

One of the first chapter books I read to a K/1st is "Did You Carry the Flag Today, Charlie?"

My son, who is really iffy about wanting to sit for read alouds, really liked The Indian in the Cupboard stories. For a picture book that's a little on the longer side, he really liked The Minpins by Roald Dahl. There are a few good Roald Dahl stories a five year old boy might like! And he liked a book called Five True Dog Stories as well (by Margaret Davidson).