Menu

VSL math quest

roanna

We were 1/2 way through CLE first grade when I realized it wasn't working for us even though we liked it. I put all math aside for a few months now. I have since read and learned that my son is heavy on the VSL side and I am now wondering which math would be good for my son. I personally am trying to decide between Singapore and MUS.

I am also thinking about just not really doing math for a while(6-9 months) to see if he grows cognitively to help him with certain aspects in math he didn't get.

He's 6 and we are year round schoolers and he is advanced in all other subjects.

Any advice is helpful.

We were 1/2 way through CLE first grade when I realized it wasn't working for us even though we liked it. I put all math aside for a few months now. I have since read and learned that my son is heavy on the VSL side and I am now wondering which math would be good for my son. I personally am trying to decide between Singapore and MUS.

I am also thinking about just not really doing math for a while(6-9 months) to see if he grows cognitively to help him with certain aspects in math he didn't get.

He's 6 and we are year round schoolers and he is advanced in all other subjects.

Any advice is helpful.

I think a break is a great idea, especially if he is frustrated at all. I took a big break in math with DS9 at around the same time and it was the best decision.

I favor doing Singapore heavy on manipulatives over MUS, but I have recently had the idea of purchasing just the MUS videos as a supplement. Also, have you looked at Miquon? It is great for VSL learners. I also recommend playing lots of games. Priceless, pain free learning.

I agree that taking a break would be a good idea. I'd just let him play around with Cuisenaire Rods, no instruction or anything, just let him build. Then eventually teach him the number names and the concepts should "be there" without much effort at all. C-rods make it all pretty intuitive - fact families, commutative property, etc.

I agree that taking a break would be a good idea. I'd just let him play around with Cuisenaire Rods, no instruction or anything, just let him build. Then eventually teach him the number names and the concepts should "be there" without much effort at all. C-rods make it all pretty intuitive - fact families, commutative property, etc.

I would not take a break from *math!* I would take a break from workbooks...and I :iagree: with Cuisenaire Rod play. If it's his first intro into C rods, I'd completely remain out of the play unless he needs some encouragement making tracks for his matchbox cars, etc...for atleast 2 weeks. Let him love the rods before telling him they are for math. Let him mix them up with Lego's and other blocks.

I *heart* the Notes to Teachers for Miquon b/c it gives a gauge of what to look for in the child's play. You might nudge him along by playing along side of him sometimes, but don't push through the different stages b/c it is a developmental thing. Miquon is truly a VSL dream-math for K-3 grades. Let him play with the rods while you absorb the Teacher's materials. It is so unlike CLE that I don't think you'll even need a big break.

For my dc at 6yo, any "drill" is typically done via rods. I lay out rod pairs and let the child find the matching rod. I lay out a big rod with a little rod on top and ask for the missing rod (missing addends). They learn the color associations through all of that play without it being work...and then the actual drill is so easy it's silly - and we are really working on saying the math sentence (3 plus 4 equals 7.)

The next step is using little cards with the =+-<> symbols on them, using the rods. The next step is translating the rods and symbols to numerals and symbols. It's a quick transition into, "I don't need the rods now, Mom!"

Lather, Rinse, Repeat with concept after concept.

The most-favorite-awesome part of Miquon though, is setting up problems like a puzzle to solve. Using the rods, a VSL can reason through and figure out an amazing amount of conceptual math with just a little guidance. I never did have a chance to teach regrouping to my 9yo....and that "figuring it out" transfers.

I like Miquon and Singapore - but focusing more on the Singapore Challenging Word Problems than the wb. Teach the Singapore bar model method, but then let the child use that Miquon-style of problem solving too. Let the child try to discover concepts before giving them the Singapore way.

I use Singapore with C-rods for my VSL. He does really well with C-rods and has picked up a lot of facts by using them (he sees pictures of them in his head). He also needs a pictorial example, not just manipulatives, so RS wasnot a good fit for him. Singapore with C-rods (using Miquon type methods) has been a great combo.