Menu

Is it possible to enrich SOTW IV for a 6th grader?

Jane

I'm doing it for an 8th grader. I'm adding Kingfisher, TruthQuest AOR guides and deeper books. My dd has done alot of history but not much after the Civil War. The TQ guides will bring in alot of discussion which I think it vital for this time period. I'm considering using the DK 20th Century Day by Day instead of Kingfisher for the later part of the time period.

Heather

I used SOTW 4 last year with my 6th grader while using MFW's 1850MOD. Easy to enrich.

Get the activity book for SOTW 4. It has library books suggestions, it has a schedule to use some other resources (KF encyclopedia). But I used DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History instead.

We made sure to do the activity book especially with the time line, and the outlining and writing from an outline. Includes various review questions and some fun activities too.

-crystal

DD started SOTW4 about halfway through her 6th grade year. I decided to beef up the coverage of American history as my main enhancement. So we studied the ante bellum period in considerably more depth than SOTW would, using living books and a secondary spine (Sounding Forth the Trumpet) and other non-fiction. Then we proceeded to the Civil War, again slowly, and using extra materials. I have used the ideas from Steward Ship to formulate these plans. We are continuing with a TLP guide to a Civil War novel, and using Critical Thinking in US history to 'do' history at this point. I have also assigned some original source material, which I really had not done before. And, early in the year when we had not yet finished with SOTW3, I taught her to outline using Kingfisher IHOTW.

So, to enhance SOTW4, I added some skills work that I felt she was ready for, and also taught the American history portion of it at a higher level and in more depth than SOTW would provide. Of course, this is slowing us down, but I expect to continue through 7th grade with this material. And if we finish before the end of the school year, I have several short studies of non-Western countries that I would like to fit in sometime; inspired by Sonlight 5.

Our immediate next steps will be to go back and cover the Seneca Falls conference, the WCTU and women's sufferage movements, and maybe some review of western expansion (which we have already covered). We have already covered the Great Awakening, but will add in some history of my own church body and how it related to other movements in the US at this time. Then, we will move forward to cover immigration and into the 20th century.

Thank-you for the ideas. We are doing SOTW IV next fall with 5th and 6th. I was planning to set up a reading list and possibly use the SOTW tests. I bought George Washington's world and I'm going to look for some type of original source documents. How does the MWF program work?

We will also being reading it in 8th grade along with Kingfisher and lots of historical fiction and The History of US. I think SOTW 4 will give a good world history perspective to our focus on US history. It is even the recommendation for 7th grade in the new LCC book.

I'm using the tests next year, too. I also like GW's World for a wrap-up of that time period. Hakim's set of books can often be found at libraries and the index volume contains a ton of primary source documents! There are also tons of source documents online now days. You can just google for specific docs you know you want, or for more general sites try American history source documents, or something like that.