Menu

WWE: Writing own dictation exercises

Mama Anna

We're doing FLL and R&S English for Grammar/writing here, but I like WWE, too. There's just no way I'm going to add on the cost of those workbooks and the time involved in doing the whole program. I figure we do narration with history 2-3x/wk, so I don't need to worry about that. But for the second year in a row, I'm sitting down to write out my own version of the dictation exercises. Is that okay?

I love that fact that SWB gave careful instructions on what each weeks dictation should cover! I just can't seem to find sentences of the appropriate length that have the appropriate characteristics. I can come up with them, though. (Just a little more DIY!:tongue_smilie:)

I know one of the purposes of dictation is to expose a child to the writing of good authors. I guess I question how much I'm cheating my child by writing my own.

Any thoughts? Anyone else doing it?

For some reason, I'm feeling the need to duck, here. Not sure why . . .

Mama Anna

I think what you're doing is fine. :) I tend to focus more on the sentence length than anything else. In fact, most of the time, I don't include the grammar elements she recommends. It seems her pace of teaching grammar concepts is faster than mine and my kids don't know what a lot of them are yet. The purpose of dictation is to have kids practice holding thoughts in their head while they write them down. So that's why I pay more attention to the length.