Menu

Share your Amazon Pre-Orders - what you're excited for!

tammyw

I've pre-ordered a few things I'm really excited for, and thought I'd share:

Fairyland sequel, October 2:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312649622/ref=oh_details_o01_s03_i00

George and the Big Bang, August 28:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1442440058/ref=oh_details_o01_s02_i00

Around the World in 80 Days (Ingpen Illustrated), August 1:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0956494250/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00

The Jungle Book (Ingpen Illustrated), October 2:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402782845/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Bully by Patricia Polacco (love her books), September 13:

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-Patricia-Polacco/dp/0399257047/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343749714&sr=8-1&keywords=bully+patricia+polacco

We have only two right now, the next Heroes of Olympus installment and Yotsuba&! 11. It's been a big summer: the last Sisters Grimm, the last Artemis Fowl, China Miéville has a new kids book, and I think there were a couple more.

Does it pay to pre-order?

I pre-ordered the new edition of Uncovering the Logic of English and received it yesterday with an invoice showing I'd been charged the list price of $20. Today it's marked down on Amazon for under $15. :glare: If I'd known it would be marked down the moment it was released, I would have waited.

We have only two right now, the next Heroes of Olympus installment and Yotsuba&! 11. It's been a big summer: the last Sisters Grimm, the last Artemis Fowl, China Miéville has a new kids book, and I think there were a couple more.

Dd9 is about to start book 9 of Sisters Grimm. She LOVES them. Totally hooked. What else do you think she'd like, next?

My dd6 received Lulu and the Brontosaurus as her free book from Barnes and Noble for the summer reading program. She absolutely loved it! There is a new book Lulu Walks the Dogcoming out in September, which is perfect because her birthday is in October:)

This is good to know - ds6 got that free book also, but we've yet to read it. I'll keep the new one in mind!

I pre-ordered the new edition of Uncovering the Logic of English and received it yesterday with an invoice showing I'd been charged the list price of $20. Today it's marked down on Amazon for under $15. :glare: If I'd known it would be marked down the moment it was released, I would have waited.

You ordered it from amazon for the list price of $20? Amazon has a deal where you pre-order and if the price goes down during that time, you pay the lowest price. I've actually never pre-ordered before this, but I would have thought pre-ordering would have been a good deal, but if they substantially drop the prices AFTER they release the book, then it's definitely not a good deal.

Anyone know more about this?

Just wanted to say our Target Dollar Spot has the Around the World Book. Might be worth peeking in.

I've seen that they have abridged books in the dollar section. I am currently buying illustrated hardcover unabridged versions, to use, and also for keepsakes for when my children have kids :) I just MUCH prefer reading aloud the beautiful illustrated versions.

Definitely contact them. You are supposed to get an automatic price adjustment when you pre-order. I know it works because I've gotten refunds that way before. But it sounds like either they haven't processed the refund yet or something got messed up. So contact them as ask. You should be getting the $15 price.

Heather

:iagree:

DS *adores* the Basher books, and we have a few on pre-order: Weather, Dinosaurs, and the Earth Science Library - with that set, all the books are already released, but they're offering them as a set and we don't have any of them yet. Thinking *Christmas Gift* for that one. Oh, and Technology just arrived a couple days ago!!

They also have Extreme Biology and US Presidents coming out in the spring, I'm sure we'll add those at some point. Can you tell we're Basher freaks here?!? :)

:iagree:

DS *adores* the Basher books, and we have a few on pre-order: Weather, Dinosaurs, and the Earth Science Library - with that set, all the books are already released, but they're offering them as a set and we don't have any of them yet. Thinking *Christmas Gift* for that one. Oh, and Technology just arrived a couple days ago!!

They also have Extreme Biology and US Presidents coming out in the spring, I'm sure we'll add those at some point. Can you tell we're Basher freaks here?!? :)

Do you have a link to the set?

You ordered it from amazon for the list price of $20? Amazon has a deal where you pre-order and if the price goes down during that time, you pay the lowest price. I've actually never pre-ordered before this, but I would have thought pre-ordering would have been a good deal, but if they substantially drop the prices AFTER they release the book, then it's definitely not a good deal.

Anyone know more about this?

I have seen them drop the price the day or so after release. I cynically thought they do it to escape from pre-order price guarantee.

I didn't know about the Ingpen 80 days book! Thanks

I have seen them drop the price the day or so after release. I cynically thought they do it to escape from pre-order price guarantee.

I didn't know about the Ingpen 80 days book! Thanks

This makes me want to cancel my pre-orders and just wait until after they're released. Grrrr to amazon.

Definitely contact them. You are supposed to get an automatic price adjustment when you pre-order. I know it works because I've gotten refunds that way before. But it sounds like either they haven't processed the refund yet or something got messed up. So contact them as ask. You should be getting the $15 price.

Heather

Same here.

Does anyone have any of the classic Ingpen books? What's the text size like? Comfortable for a small child?

His Peter Pan version is for the library's use only, so I'm not sure if I can even take a look.

I have his Wind in the Willows, and the pictures are very nice, but the font is too small, I must say.

I got the Basher Rocks & Minerals book last summer when they were in the bargain bin. Someone posted an alert about it on here! I also got Planet Earth and Physics. I think I was too slow for one or two others. I paid $3.60 each for them.

I have his Wind in the Willows, and the pictures are very nice, but the font is too small, I must say.

I got the Basher Rocks & Minerals book last summer when they were in the bargain bin. Someone posted an alert about it on here! I also got Planet Earth and Physics. I think I was too slow for one or two others. I paid $3.60 each for them.

Thanks, Stripe, I better not risk ordering an Ingpen book then. Besides, Inga Moore's Wind in the Willows has large font AND beautiful pictures. I don't own it because no one ever borrows this book and it's always there every time I need it. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, Stripe, I better not risk ordering an Ingpen book then. Besides, Inga Moore's Wind in the Willows has large font AND beautiful pictures. I don't own it because no one ever borrows this book and it's always there every time I need it. :tongue_smilie:

I just bought her version of the Secret Garden, which is unabridged -- but I think her Wind in the Willows is abridged?? Anyway I like the Ingpen Wind in the Willows a lot to look at, but it's kind of big and heavy, and too hard to read. I was a bit disappointed by that, but I'm still slowly reading it aloud to my daughter.

I just bought her version of the Secret Garden, which is unabridged -- but I think her Wind in the Willows is abridged?? Anyway I like the Ingpen Wind in the Willows a lot to look at, but it's kind of big and heavy, and too hard to read. I was a bit disappointed by that, but I'm still slowly reading it aloud to my daughter.

You are right. I just checked amazon.com even though I never noticed it being abridged on the book cover. It's still a beautiful book that contains more than what you would think is in an abridged version. I never read aloud from this book because DD read this a couple of times on her own. I see now I better start hunting down an unbridged version with large text and pretty illustrations.

Is it missing a chapter, or is all of the text cut throughout? I remember NMoira saying a lot of the abridgements cut out the Wild Woods chapter where they meet Pan while looking for the missing otter boy.
That and "Wayfarers All." I haven't looked at the Moore edition to see what's missing, but if it's like her abridgement of The Book of Beasts, text is pulled out throughout, rather than in large blocks.

That and "Wayfarers All." I haven't looked at the Moore edition to see what's missing, but if it's like her abridgement of The Book of Beasts, text is pulled out throughout, rather than in large blocks.

It is throughout and at least 2 chapters are missing, but it's still a long book for a 6-8 year old to read. I think the editing is appropriate for that age group, and the illustrations are really beautiful. Most abridged books geared towards this age group are extremely truncated, but not this one.