Menu

If you have 5 or more kids where does all this stuff go?

We live in an average house with an average yard but it has a small for average double garage. :glare: We didn't build this house & would definitely have gone bigger if we had. There is no way we can add on to the garage.

We have 5 kids which means we have the following:

7 bikes, 3 are adult size

3 scooters

1 wagon + trailer

1 bike trailer

lawn mower + all the yard tools

all dh's tools

back yard toys- balls, bats, frisbees, hula hoops, etc x 4 each :tongue_smilie:

fishing gear

dh's golf clubs

swimming pool accessories + care equipment + backup/spare pool filter (think big box)

Plus everything else that goes in a garage, kwim? :willy_nilly:

I look at all my neighbor's garages and everything is neat and tidy and FITS! Not so much here. :001_huh: Of course, we have 2x as many kids as most of our neighbors. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know how to make it all work. The 7 bikes alone take up a HUGE amount of space but the kids use them everyday. Dh and I have some bikes hung up, along with as much as can be hung from the rafters but we're still having a really hard time making it all work.

What do you do to fit everything in and still park in your garage?

We have a bike barn on the side of the house complete with hooks for helmets so no bikes in the garage. Dh has a shed for all his stuff. Lawn mower, pool stuff, etc. go in the shed as well. Sports equipment goes in Rubbermaid bins on shelves against one garage wall. Dh put up wire shelves along the walls of the garage - I love those shelves! There is so much space up along the ceiling of rooms that goes unused! That is where we keep our seasonal items, camping gear, and shoe boxes.

We are a similar set-up, but we live in a part of the country with long, cold winters. So, during the winter months (five months or so), we put away the bikes (hang them up on the ceiling of the garage) and the outdoor "play" equipment (in the basement), and actually park the cars in the garage. During the warmer months, we park our cars in front of the house and use the garage like a storage shed for bikes and equipment.

You have my sympathy. I actually was relieved when we purchased our 12 passenger van because it cannot fit in our garage so I no longer had to feel guilty about all the stuff that was stored in our garage. We've just given up ever using our garage for a vehicle at all.

We have an older man that lives across our street that must have a wonderful view of our messy garage. Once, when we first moved in, he made some comment to me that he just can't stand a messy garage. I murmmered my agreement and have laughed about it ever since :)

Someday my garage will be organized, but right now, it is a jumble of bikes, balls, quails and baby chickens (only temporarily while they are small), and sawdust because my dh is building loft beds for two our bedrooms. It's the one part of my house that I have waved the white flag in surrender!

We live in an average house with an average yard but it has a small for average double garage. :glare: We didn't build this house & would definitely have gone bigger if we had. There is no way we can add on to the garage.

We have 5 kids which means we have the following:

7 bikes, 3 are adult size

3 scooters

1 wagon + trailer

1 bike trailer

lawn mower + all the yard tools

all dh's tools

back yard toys- balls, bats, frisbees, hula hoops, etc x 4 each :tongue_smilie:

fishing gear

dh's golf clubs

swimming pool accessories + care equipment + backup/spare pool filter (think big box)

Plus everything else that goes in a garage, kwim? :willy_nilly:

I look at all my neighbor's garages and everything is neat and tidy and FITS! Not so much here. :001_huh: Of course, we have 2x as many kids as most of our neighbors. :tongue_smilie:

What do you do to fit everything in and still park in your garage?

What else goes in the garage? That covers about everything for us except woodworking equipment, a piano, :glare: and tubs of hand-me-downs. Our car fits in. :)

Kids bikes (4) go in the backyard. Mine, Ana's, and CJ's are in the garage. The wagon is in the backyard. No trailer. Had one once, but frankly, we didn't use it. We only own two scooters - they share. Balls, hula hoops, etc., they share. We have an organizer for gloves, helmets, baseball bats, balls, etc. Everything is on it.

We have a shed in the backyard. In it goes gardening equipment and the lawnmower which is push non-electric/non-gas.

We don't golf. But, we do camp & fish & have an unbeleivably big crab-pot. It all fits nicely when we're organized. The bikes in the backyard are really necessary.

ETA: I'll add that our 15passenger doesn't fit in the garage at all so only the car does. ;)

The shed is nice but optional. And we have twice as many kids as you, plus one, lol. But I think the key here is that all of our kids don't have their own stuff. A ball is great. Two is reasonable. After that, does EACH person really need their own stuff? Same with fishing poles, scooters, etc.

Edited by BlsdMama

Have less stuff?

I don't think our garage would fit two cars in it. Haven't tried because one side of the garage is primarily DH's office. His desk, server, work computer, and supplies are in there. When it is warm enough, he sits in there to work. He has to work in the house or hang out at a coffee shop to work during the winter months because it is too cold to be in the garage. I prefer him hanging out at the coffee shop because it is hard to keep four kids quiet every time he gets or makes a phone call.

The other side of the garage holds lawn care, tools, camping gear, Christmas decorations, bikes/scooters, and outside toys.

lol, we've never had our vehicles actually in the garage! But then our garage is also our school/playroom. Our big van won't even fit in the garage (ask me how I know...oops).

I bet you found out the same way I found out that our big van doesn't fit.:D

OP, I'm thinking some kind of a shed would be the best solution.

We don't have more than 5 kids, just two; but we have a two car garage partially converted into a bedroom. The washer and dryer hooks are in the garage and a built in work bench. There is not enough room for a vehicle. We have all of the garden tools and some toys in the shed out back. We would not have room for what we have without the shed.

Well, we only have four kids, but we have the same problem! After we moved in I noticed the family across the street that has a three-car garage that is empty except for a refrigerator. Completely empty! Then I realized that his two kids are grown and are in college, the lawn company does his lawn, he calls people for repairs, and they all have small, sporty cars.

We have a two-car garage. Half contains our bikes, tools, yard equipment, and hurricane shutters. No one around here has sheds. I'm guessing that it's due to the hurricane threat. So we have to park at least one car outside. I'm guessing that if a hurricane comes we'll have to move the bikes inside somewhere to make room for the van!

And I would say that the primary reason that very few have this problems is that people don't get out and ride their bikes anymore! We rarely see kids on bikes around here. I'm wondering if they even know how to ride!

There is a great storage system available at Lowes called Gladiator (made by Whirlpool, I think). It has hooks that allow you to hang bikes up vertically on the wall. It also has baskets for balls/outdoor play equipment, and hooks for lawn care implements. That's how we manage. We have no basement since we are in SoCal and our attic is not accessible, so all of our storage goes in the garage. We have found the Gladiator system to be a big help.

Growing up my dad put giant hooks in the wall or ceiling and we hung our bikes. We had a lot of bikes. Dad was into biking.

I have a hook in my basement storage room for one bike (I have no garage) and I have a bike storage rake that holds 2 bikes. Here's something similar

http://shop.autoanything.com/bike-racks/69A5367A0A0.aspx?kc=ffproduct&gclid=CIfunZ7ZxLECFQff4AodcwEAzg&w4n=1

I would put up a shed for lawn tools and possibly other tools.

There are all kinds of racks and bins for kids sports equipment. After you weed out what you don't really need you might look at storage solutions.

My pool stuff is all in one bag.

Bikes go in the garage. The genius owners before us, blocked off part of the garage for the washing machine. So it was listed as a two car garage, but in reality is a one car. Dh parks the car in there. Our mega van won't fit unless we removed the dryer from that side of the garage.

Lawn equipment and tools are in the shed.

Sports equipment is either in garage, shed, or this http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod910832&navAction=push

In the summer, we don't park in the garage. In the winter, Dh parks his small car in there, but we move the (8) bikes and bike trailer down to a storage room in the basement.

We also have a large side porch / mudroom, where we keep scooters, skateboards, rollerblades, sports equipment, etc.