Menu

Inexpensive clothes for small women?

I've asked this before on other boards and gotten a bunch of designer responses. I'm more of a Target and Kohl's kind of shopper. The problem is that I'm 5'3" and make it to 100 pounds on a good day. I have to shop in the junior or children's section if I want pants/skirts tht stay up or tops/dresses that I don't swim in. But, in my 30s, I'd rather have more adult clothes. I go for as plain as I can, but there's still a difference between the kind of thing you can find in women's sections vs. children's or juniors. I hate shopping, so I admit that I haven't done a lot of store-exploring. Any ideas?

One woman told me she could get great end-of-season deals at nicer stores like Dillards because there was usually a lot of the smaller sizes (she wore a 2) left over.

My very petite aunt used to shop at Talbot's. Check sales. Or have you checked Lands' End - petite section?

Macy's used to have a petite section too but don't know if they do anymore.

Walmart and Target have notoriously huge sizes (in my area at least). I am 5'8", of normal weight and can hardly find anything that fits anymore because evidently nobody wears size 8 at Walmart or Target.

Dillard's has awesome clearance racks. I've gotten Liz Claiborne pieces for $5-$10!

Also, check Goodwill. I've found J Jill, Gap, Banana Republic. It really does fit and wear better. They are ALWAYS cheaper than Target! :)

Finding things in thrift stores also helps as its usually a few years old, so it may be before vanity sizing. I hate vanity sizing. I know I'm bigger now than I was in high school, but a size four falls off me now. I tried on a few pieces of clothing on the other day, stuff of mine from hs my mom had saved, and had to squeeze into the six.

I'm 5'0" and haven't been over 100 lb unless I'm pregnant. Honestly, I can't shop Target et al. It just doesn't happen because everything there is ginormous on me and super long. I know things can be tailored, but when you add in the cost of that, you might as well buy the designer clothing. Sometimes I can find a cute size xs top, but that's about it. I am always on the lookout at department stores and online for clearance on petite clothing. I've found some good deals at Ann Taylor Loft on clearance, and once scored HUGE when J.Jill had an online clearance and marked everything $5. Other than that, I shop ebay and thrift stores.

I like Target. However, I shop mostly at American Eagle OUtfitters. I can buy the short lengths online. I wear a small size too, and a short length. They often have jeans for $25-$30, especially the clearance once.

ETA: They have a lot of college looking attire, but also tons of plain t's/tops/tanks, and regular pants/sweats. Everything comes in a short length too which is nice. Nicer sweats, and the xs t's would probably fit you perfect.