Menu

What to wear when you are .....

30? 35? 40? Etc...

I'm just wondering if there is any sort of resource out there that covers this. I'll be 30 this year and I honestly don't know how I 'should' be dressing... I mean, I buy a lot of clothes on sale or clearance, and I stopped shopping in the juniors dept several years ago, at least :tongue_smilie: ... But I see other people who look put together and stuff, and I don't really even know where to begin. I don't know what stores to look at, etc... I was relatively in style when I ws younger but it was easy lol....

So...thoughts? I hate structured clothing. I like jeans and stuff, but I like my shirts to be soft and comfortable.

Any help would be appreciated!

I have felt like a clothing alien for years now -- since I gave up profession to be a mom, it's been a jeans-based wardrobe. Now past 40, it's getting harder to find a fit, esp. with the low-rise and skin tight stuff. I used to think back in the 70's and 80's how lucky we women were to not have to stuff our bodies into underpinnings and girdles -- not to shape our bodies before we even get into our clothes, but with today's synthetics which cling, and tight fashions, I feel we are being pushed into Spanx (Never!)

My solution? I shop in the men's dept for shirts, which have ease built in, and which are still made with traditional sewing, and good construction. I will shell out for good fabric which launders well, as it ends up being worth the price. The jeans problem (finding a fit) happens a lot; recently I've had luck with Lands End which has several fit styles and cuts. Getting in to a Sears shop to try these on is a major problem, but once in a blue moon, lightning strikes!

I think I could make myself more fashionable if I go for layers -- scarves, shirts over shirts (esp. if you like soft knits this would give you coverage, variety and trendiness all at once). See if thinking in layers helps you out at all. Covering the bottom half is I think, the main problem!

Here is an insight from an insider: My neighbor is a fashion designer in the NY garment district -- she and I had a chat one day about what's in style, and the main idea I got from the conversation is that, while 40 years ago, a few designers would more or less dictate a "look" for a season and everyone would try to imitate it, now there is no real fashion leadership with a clear unitary look. The industry goal is to design stuff at different price points so that individuals can put it together. There are still color trends and fabric print trends and pattern cut trends out there, but even the insiders view these as sort of suggestions. It's like they hope we will buy a few updates each year and work them into the rotation.

Hope this helps. Basically, you should go for what you like/feel comfortable in.

I did a little searching for new stores bc I lost a lot of weight last year. I already shop at mostly Target and Kohls (cotton knits don't hold up well), also Lands End, Eddie Bauer, and April Cornell. I haven't shopped at these yet, but I like their catalogs. They have soft and flowy style for more mature women:

http://www.sahalie.com/

http://www.softsurroundings.com/

This year I went rockabilly!

I have a body like Marilyn Monroe and I'm sick of feeling bad about myself and my body. So, I decided to dress more like the 50's style that encouraged curvy girls.

I roll my jeans, put on a fitted top (not too tight), throw on some ballet flats or converse. My hair is actually in more of a 60's flip buy I either put on a wide headband or pull it up into a bandana knotted on top.

I'm still transitioning because I can't afford to go buy an entirely new wardrobe. But I'm working on it. A high school friend who has been rockabilly for years is giving me guidance.

I am so, so much happier. Dressing my body type instead of fighting it has made all the difference.

Oh, I'm 41.

When I can find it on deep sale, or at local thrift stores, I wear:

J Jill. Pretty much any JJ will do, it all looks classy casual.

Gap, mostly for jeans, but I have a few tees, too.

Maurice's. Occasionally. I have a pair of their jeans from goodwill and they fit really well, I tried on jeans in their store and...not so much. Maybe it's an older fit.

Old navy dresses for summer. Love em!

I've always been taught to ook for timeless cuts that flatter your body - simple button-down shirts, a-line skirts, wrap dresses, etc. Pick good fabrics that will stand up over the years. Finish off with a few 'in-style' pieces (drop-waist shirts, dark skinny jeans) and accessories.

I'm 45 and have adopted a more bohemian style.

I think part of buying clothes is that you need to try everything on. I like casual and what looks good on the hanger may not look good on the person. Brands, sizes, and styles are cut so differently these days, you really need to try things on to know how it will work.

I've invested in some quality jackets and sweaters and add in some more trendy tees or shirts.

I feel a greater freedom to dress according to my personality at this age.

30 if definitely young, imo, and there shouldn't be a cutoff where you must move to the old lady department of the store either.

I think you can still look youthful and put together by piecing together outfits yourself rather than relying on one stores approach.

Here's some things I look for when buying or creating an outfit:

fit - I'm a pear shaped person. If the pants are fitted I go with a looser top. If the top is fitted, I do a looser pant.

color - I stay with a few colors in pants. I also have several fits and lengths in those colors. I tend to do lighter tops and darker bottoms.

durability - I'll spend more on a good jacket and less on trendy items. Shoes are also worth investing into. Know how your shoes look with an outfit. A bad shoe choice can ruin an entire look.

personality - I like funky patterns in bold colors. I make sure the outfit is balanced. My clothes need to make me feel good.

Accessories - as I get older I accessorize more. I love buying clearance scarves. I buy jewelry that is handmade and have fewer pieces.

I stay up on trends even though I'm not trendy. Color trends are things I watch and decide if I want to go there or not. At 30 you can still do a few and look great, I'm sure. At 45 there are a few I avoid on purpose. :D

I always think one has to dress for body type rather than style. I am usually going for classic look even though it is not always in vogue but I look best that way - I think.

Figure out your body type and what you look best in, then check places like Lands' End (more classic stuff, less super trendy), Eddie Bauer, Macy's or even Target.

Don't try to look the way you did when you were 18. :)

For sure! Though I wouldn't mind being the size I was at 18.... ;)

Start hinting to friends and family that they should nominate you for What Not to Wear?

:party: sounds good to me!

I think part of it is the size thing, actually. I want to lose weight but the fact of the matter is that i do need to find things that fit me well now, that I look good in now, because otherwise I just feel blah. I do have a few things... But overall I think I have a hard time knowing how to dress my shape now in a way that is flattering. I tend to buy clothes too big because I don't want to look fat, and in the end I just look sloppy when I do that.

Sigh. Yeah, what not to wear sounds good! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by PeacefulChaos

JC Penny and Cato are my favorite stores for things that are trendy but still flattering and comfortable. Many of my business clothes come from those stores.

The Lee Riders line of jeans are great. They have just a little spandex built into them and are the most comfortable jeans I've owned in a long time. Even my casual pants come from that line.

Layering is a great way to go. I have an entire drawer full of tanks that can be mixed and matched with tees and blouses that are either too short or too low cut for my own personal taste.

The best thing you can do is schedule a few hours to go shopping with a good friend and start trying things on. You might find you'll be surprised at what you end up liking.

I have a body like Marilyn Monroe and I'm sick of feeling bad about myself and my body. So, I decided to dress more like the 50's style that encouraged curvy girls.

I roll my jeans, put on a fitted top (not too tight), throw on some ballet flats or converse. My hair is actually in more of a 60's flip buy I either put on a wide headband or pull it up into a bandana knotted on top.

I'm still transitioning because I can't afford to go buy an entirely new wardrobe. But I'm working on it. A high school friend who has been rockabilly for years is giving me guidance.

I am so, so much happier. Dressing my body type instead of fighting it has made all the difference.

Oh, I'm 41.

I love this. And :iagree: with dressing for your body. I am also a curvy girl even at a very low weight. I don't wear baggy clothes and love fitted tops and skinny jeans. Frumpy clothes just make me look fat.

You can still look fashionable while dressing age appropriately and modestly. I'm not a natural, but am getting better with practice. I have quite a few fashionable friends so I take my cues from them. Do you have anyone you can ask for help? I do not enjoy shopping, but it is more fun with a friend. I find that I'm wearing more casual dresses and skirts with flats during the week as I get older.

I tend to buy clothes too big because I don't want to look fat, and in the end I just look sloppy when I do that.

Too big clothing tends to make most people look fatter, not slimmer. The excess clothing widens, not hides. Some pictures of myself when I thought I was "hiding" got me started on exploring "slimmer" ways to dress. I've been losing weight for a while, and try to buy just a few key pieces so that I have "something" that isn't too big but not enough to get complacent and not want to lose more.

I'm 47, greying, petite, but no longer slim. In the last year, since I realized I'm no longer a mommy of littles, I've been really trying to update my wardrobe. I've spent a load of time searching the net for ideas about color and style lines that suit me. I do a lot of shopping at thrift stores so that if I make a mistake while searching for something that is "me" I won't mind too much.

Things that help and I find fun:

1. Know yourself, be true to yourself. If you are a naturally quiet subdued person, bold statement pieces will clash with your personality. People will notice. Likewise, if you are brassy and no-nonsense, dressing in soft flowing garments will seem off. Know what is right for you, other people will have ideas based on their own preferences, but you may never wear what they suggested because it just isn't right for you.

1.Know your best colors. This has been a quest and I have settled myself quite happily into a pallette that is called soft autumn. There are loads of sites dedicated to color and wardrobe. Some want to connect color to personality others to the natural colors that you have in your skin, hair, and eyes. Don't get sucked into believing one particular method is right. Think about the colors you have gotten the most compliments wearing, those will be ones you will want to continue buying. High contrasting colors on top and bottom will shorten you. Black is not for everyone. I was so relieved to find this out. I tried wearing black for a few years but never really liked it.

2. Know your body shape. There is a great site for analyzing body shape and telling what style lines are for you. I'll post it later if I can find it.

I turns out I am "spoon shaped" (not as pronounced as pear)and can wear straight or a-line skirts, no gathers or pleats. Solid color bottoms are slimming. I can wear tops with scoop, boat neck, or wide v-neck and details on the upper half that visually widen the top of me. No skinny pants or tapered legs for me.

3. Know how to use your proportions to get a fit that looks right. Skirts should fall just above the knee, in the middle of the knee cap, or about a hands width above the ankle bone. Floor length should be saved for evening wear. Pants should be floor length or slightly longer when you are not wearing shoes. Larger bums should not wear pocket flaps or embellishments. Poochy tummies do better with mid-rise and wider waistbands. Boot cut pants are flattering. Shorter people should not wear longer tops they visually cut you down. Cap sleeves and 3/4 length are more flattering than regular t-shirt sleeve and wrist length. Tops should end between the top of your hip bone and the end of your zipper. Jackets should end slightly lower than shirts, or be fingertip lenght. Longer coats should end at the same places as skirts. Capris should not end at the wide part of your calf, but lower down where your leg narrows. Generally speaking, the less bulky material and the more skin (tastefully) the skinnier you will appear. (if that is your goal)

I'm 47, greying, petite, but no longer slim. In the last year, since I realized I'm no longer a mommy of littles, I've been really trying to update my wardrobe. I've spent a load of time searching the net for ideas about color and style lines that suit me. I do a lot of shopping at thrift stores so that if I make a mistake while searching for something that is "me" I won't mind too much.

Things that help and I find fun:

1. Know yourself, be true to yourself. If you are a naturally quiet subdued person, bold statement pieces will clash with your personality. People will notice. Likewise, if you are brassy and no-nonsense, dressing in soft flowing garments will seem off. Know what is right for you, other people will have ideas based on their own preferences, but you may never wear what they suggested because it just isn't right for you.

1.Know your best colors. This has been a quest and I have settled myself quite happily into a pallette that is called soft autumn. There are loads of sites dedicated to color and wardrobe. Some want to connect color to personality others to the natural colors that you have in your skin, hair, and eyes. Don't get sucked into believing one particular method is right. Think about the colors you have gotten the most compliments wearing, those will be ones you will want to continue buying. High contrasting colors on top and bottom will shorten you. Black is not for everyone. I was so relieved to find this out. I tried wearing black for a few years but never really liked it.

2. Know your body shape. There is a great site for analyzing body shape and telling what style lines are for you. I'll post it later if I can find it.

I turns out I am "spoon shaped" (not as pronounced as pear)and can wear straight or a-line skirts, no gathers or pleats. Solid color bottoms are slimming. I can wear tops with scoop, boat neck, or wide v-neck and details on the upper half that visually widen the top of me. No skinny pants or tapered legs for me.

3. Know how to use your proportions to get a fit that looks right. Skirts should fall just above the knee, in the middle of the knee cap, or about a hands width above the ankle bone. Floor length should be saved for evening wear. Pants should be floor length or slightly longer when you are not wearing shoes. Larger bums should not wear pocket flaps or embellishments. Poochy tummies do better with mid-rise and wider waistbands. Boot cut pants are flattering. Shorter people should not wear longer tops they visually cut you down. Cap sleeves and 3/4 length are more flattering than regular t-shirt sleeve and wrist length. Tops should end between the top of your hip bone and the end of your zipper. Jackets should end slightly lower than shirts, or be fingertip lenght. Longer coats should end at the same places as skirts. Capris should not end at the wide part of your calf, but lower down where your leg narrows. Generally speaking, the less bulky material and the more skin (tastefully) the skinnier you will appear. (if that is your goal)

Did you ever find that site, by any chance?

And FTR, I was reading this and thought it was golden advice. Thanks! :)

My formula is pretty much skirt or cords or jeans with a top and either a cardigan or hoodie. Sometimes a cute jacket instead. I buy mostly used stuff, so I have to look carefully. When I was working or when I have a client meeting the shirt will be a nice but fairly casual blouse. When doing the kid thing (most of the time) the top will be a t-shirt, perhaps a band one for Le Tigre or Girl in a Coma. Wearing a cardigan gives me a sorta polished look. I am dull, I know but I stick to what works. I hate shorts so skirts are preferred in warmer weather. The ones that work for me have a retro, full skirt, just at or below the knees style. Shoes are funky sneakers (not trainers) or flats. I don't do heels anymore unless it's a big deal thing in the evening. Life is too short to deal with those anymore.

Accessories - as I get older I accessorize more. I love buying clearance scarves. I buy jewelry that is handmade and have fewer pieces.

I think scarves are so pretty but I have no idea how to wear them. What do you do with them? And do you wear them only with certain kinds of shirts, like button downs?

Oh, I'm 41.

I'm intrigued! Where do you buy your clothes. I googles rockabilly but it was mostly dresses. Any examples of casual stuff (links?please?). I am currently stuck dressing like I walked out of the juniors dept. I need a new style!

http://www.shopyourshape.com/

There is a body shape calculator and advice for each shape. I just ignored the clothing ads.

I just found this site myself. Based on the measurements I just took, it says I'm a straight shape and suggests I wear shirts with defined waists and belts. I can't even begin to imagine! It will make the part of my tummy at and just below my belly button look pregnant because it pokes out. When I gain weight, it goes to my tummy first. I might go shopping this weekend and try on some clothes but I'm not holding out hope for waist fitted shirts for my body type.

I will be 35 this fall and today I'm wearing a plain yellow tshirt and a green "mini"skirt...I say "mini" because it was considered short when I bought it about ten years ago. When I put my arms down to my sides, it is about even with my thumbs.

I haven't bought new clothes in a really long time and just wear the classic, tasteful stuff I did in my 20's. Khaki shorts, solid tank tops, sundresses, jeans, long sleeved shirts, sweatshirts.

And sorry, Ellie, but I still wear I sundress that I bought when I was 18:D

I just found this site myself. Based on the measurements I just took, it says I'm a straight shape and suggests I wear shirts with defined waists and belts. I can't even begin to imagine! It will make the part of my tummy at and just below my belly button look pregnant because it pokes out. When I gain weight, it goes to my tummy first. I might go shopping this weekend and try on some clothes but I'm not holding out hope for waist fitted shirts for my body type.

Yeah, I also had to modify the advice I got from there. I can't wear certain tops they suggest because I am lacking in the chest area (wrap style) and I don't want anyone to think I am pregnant (baby doll style). However, I did try on some tops with banded bottom edges and details around the neckline based on these suggestions and I was suprised to find that they looked very nice.

I think they tend to be most applicable for younger women. You might try looking at the suggestions for spoon shape, they accomodate people who tend to gain in the tummy.

Oops. I forgot to get back to this. Here is the link:

http://www.shopyourshape.com/

There is a body shape calculator and advice for each shape. I just ignored the clothing ads.

I tried this and found it quite good. I had already figured out that the styles they recommend suite me, but they were right on.

I mostly discovered what worked by making a point of carefully watching people around town whose look I liked with a similar shape to mine. I had to be really conscious about it.

I've also found myself wearing a lot more skirts and dresses in recent years and I've also gravitated to a slightly retro style which I find suits my figure and personality. I tend to keep jeans for days at home and wear a skirt for outings - even a well-cut denim skirt looks more put together and can be easier to find a fit than jeans.

I also took some inspiration at one point from some Muslim fashion blogs. It sounds weird, but I always found the Muslim ladies here managed to look very put together and elegant while not showing a ton of skin. (I'm not totally into covering everything but I like to feel like I have a bit of dignity.) I found a couple of nice blogs with a lot of good ideas for layering and adapting looks that might seem too fleshy at first. I don't copy them because my needs aren't the same but I found a lot of the concepts really useful.