Menu

journal with space to draw?

Mama2two

My kids do daily journal writing and I am looking for a new journal for them. I want one with space to draw as well as write. I need one for a 3rd grader, and most of the ones I am finding with space to draw have never wide lines for writing.

I am trying to find one with thinner lines for my 3rd grader to start working on writing smaller.

My Illustrated Story Journals come in several line sizes, all with space for pictures. They are not a terrible price but there are only 24 pages, so it's relative. These would be good for making books. I also used those composition books with space for drawings, even some with smaller lines, which I believe I found at either Wal-Mart or our local teacher store. Definitely keep looking.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Sorry, I edited but too late. There are only 24 pages, compared to 200 in the Mead Primary Journal. They should cost more like $1. Let me do some (literal) digging later because I know I have some bigger story journals with smaller lines.

thank you! Would like something bigger than they can use for most of the year. I appreciate you looking for me!

I bought these for my children: http://www.pacon.com/edu_aids/ruled_paper/CompBooksBlueBooks.php

#2426 is the one with the 1/2" rule and room for drawing on top with the rule for 3rd graders.

I ordered mine from Bison Office Supplies but they have doubled in price since I ordered them 2 weeks ago. You should be able to shop around online and find somewhere charging about $2.00 a piece for them. There are 100 sheets which equals 200 pages.

I saw the 24 page books at Staples (might not be the same ones). They were about $1.00 but felt really cheap and I wanted one that could last a long time too. The Pacon ones I bought without being able to see them firsthand and I'm glad I did--they are nicely sewn together.

They also come without the room to draw on top. I bought those for our spelling books and copywork.

We use Nature Study Journals with normal lined paper on one side and blank white paper on the other side - these books are very cost effective and the size of the lined paper is what children in our schools use all the way through except for grade 4 when they use Irish lines (or used to - not sure what they do now).

Amazon has these comp books that I plan to order for my kids

http://www.amazon.com/iScholar-Composition-Journal-Unruled-10114/dp/B0053CN926/ref=pd_sbs_op_20

I feel like Charlie Brown! "THAT'S IT!!" :lol: I had no luck finding ours...still have a few boxes of the kids' old work to unload (but now I can just go have some ice cream). :tongue_smilie:

My kids do daily journal writing and I am looking for a new journal for them. I want one with space to draw as well as write. I need one for a 3rd grader, and most of the ones I am finding with space to draw have never wide lines for writing.

I am trying to find one with thinner lines for my 3rd grader to start working on writing smaller.

I thought of that, but in their Mead primary journal they had a spot without lines for drawing and would like to find something like that again, but with thinner lines

My kids have used the Mead Primary Journals for years. My older DD started out using all three lines to write, but spontanously switched to writing on each of the three lines as if they were separate lines. The space between the lines is narrower than wide rule, but still quite usable for her. My younger DD sometimes uses all three lines to write, sometimes uses them as separate lines, and sometimes just scrawls across the page.

For us this is a great solution. It helps that for our family handwriting and spelling don't matter in the daily journals. (We work on spelling and handwriting in other ways)

We use Nature Study Journals with normal lined paper on one side and blank white paper on the other side - these books are very cost effective and the size of the lined paper is what children in our schools use all the way through except for grade 4 when they use Irish lines (or used to - not sure what they do now).

Tanikit, where do you find these?

Oriental trading carries cheaper versions. We got these, and they work for what I needed them before, but they are not keep long term things.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?requestURI=processProductsCatalog&sku=12/4663

Also Lakeshore. They were having a big sale on the packs of them (10 pack I think) for Back to School sales.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/seo/ca|searchResults~~p|2534374302174892~~.jsp

Lakeshore one is more geared towards the very youngest, but they carry one with smaller lines too. The Oriental Trading ones I'm using for my 2nd grader and 5th grader.

• 2 weeks later...