Menu

God's Design for S*x series?

I was considering this book series, mainly for my 10 and 11 year old sons. However, I read a couple reviews which said the books were really graphic, detailed, and many felt, inappropriate for the suggested age ranges. We are pretty conservative, but definitely open when it comes to discussing s*xuality with our kids. We have It's So Amazing, which is a great book about the basics, but looking for a next step up, dealing with biblical teachings for Pre-teens.

Anyone have these books and care to comment?

Ay other book recommendations on this topic?

Thanks! :001_smile:

We have the book for 'tweens, What's the Big Deal? I was a bit surprised when I read it how much information it presented. But when I thought about it, I decided that I would rather her hear about those things first from a Biblical POV than run the risk she hear about them from other kids (we live in a highly secular and politically liberal area). I hate that I felt forced into broaching these topics earlier than I would otherwise like, but when I'm going against the conventional wisdom of "anything goes so long as everyone involved is a consenting adult", I can't be silent.

We have the book for 'tweens, What's the Big Deal? I was a bit surprised when I read it how much information it presented. But when I thought about it, I decided that I would rather her hear about those things first from a Biblical POV than run the risk she hear about them from other kids (we live in a highly secular and politically liberal area). I hate that I felt forced into broaching these topics earlier than I would otherwise like, but when I'm going against the conventional wisdom of "anything goes so long as everyone involved is a consenting adult", I can't be silent.

Thanks for weighing in. Maybe I could get the book geared to the younger age group?

I think the lower two books are more appropriate for your 9 yr old. I have read all the books, but haven't read them to my boys yet. I am still waiting for one more year. Since they are not exposed to long time alone with peers, I don't worry too much they get the info from another source. But I won't wait too long. Also girls seem to talk about this with each other more than boys, so I would start earlier with a daughter.

I splurged and picked up the entire series, figuring I could hand them over when I felt it was a good time. The suggested ages do seem a bit young to me, too, but like the pp said - I'd rather they get it from me than come to me later.

I'm happy with them, I think. The whole topic makes me more uncomfortable than I like to admit, but this series gives me a good jumping-off place. And the POV works well with our conservative Christian world-view.

My suggestion is to look at the book one age group younger. Can you get them from your library first to preview?

Mama Anna

I splurged and picked up the entire series, figuring I could hand them over when I felt it was a good time. The suggested ages do seem a bit young to me, too, but like the pp said - I'd rather they get it from me than come to me later.

I'm happy with them, I think. The whole topic makes me more uncomfortable than I like to admit, but this series gives me a good jumping-off place. And the POV works well with our conservative Christian world-view.

My suggestion is to look at the book one age group younger. Can you get them from your library first to preview?

Mama Anna

:iagree: and gave this advice to a friend this weekend. I like them, but haven't started them with my oldest yet. We're going to do the first one soon. I like how everything is presented in the series, but wanted to wait on that level of detail.

Also girls seem to talk about this with each other more than boys, so I would start earlier with a daughter.

DD has an October birthday, so she's young for her grade. I also noticed that many of the girls today seem to be starting puberty in 4th grade (!) so that's why I decided to go ahead and have "the talk".

I've been shocked at the racy TV shows that many non-HS parents apparently allow their young 'tween daughters to watch- Gossip Girls, Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, etc. :eek:

Also girls seem to talk about this with each other more than boys, so I would start earlier with a daughter.

I find this interesting. The friend I was taking to this weekend thinks she has more time with her 10yo dd because girls don't talk about it as young as boys. I was surprised to hear her say that and would tend to agree with you.

I do find that the age ranges are very young. Sylvia has been read the first book in the series and Rebecca has had the first and second. Sylvia is within the age range for the second, but there is NO WAY I'm reading that to her yet! I was wondering when Rebecca will actually be old enough for the third one.

I've looked into these as well. I've read the reviews on Amazon and this lady has some good points about it not be age appropriate for younger kids and how it may be a bit confusing for girls since it's written from Father to Son.

However, the text she quotes is awfully corny and I cannot imagine reading it to my kids-I'd start laughing.

Copied from Amazon:

By LLH "Lindsay Loo Hoo" (Anchorage, AK) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: The Story of Me (Paperback)

First, I have a little girl. The story is told from a father to a son and so it uses sentences like "The doctor saw right away you had a penis, and that's how she knew right away you were a boy." Talk about confusing a 4 year old girl! I skimmed over most of this book and I think about 40% of it is appropriate and the rest is inappropriate. The book uses words like "you came through my vagina, i pushed really hard, God made my vagina so it would stretch just enough to let you out." HOLY COW!

Also, one part says "sometimes a mother knows she will not be able to give everything her baby needs. this mother might let someone adopt her baby." CONFUSING! It also says God waits a few years after people are married to give them a baby. Since our daughter was conceived within the first year, also confusing. Also talks about not sharing a touch with someone, or taking love that you don't want to share, and that someday when you marry you can be private with your wife. Very advanced for a 4 year old.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy this book, tell your children when you are comfortable telling them. Trust yourself, you don't need this book.

We looked at these and decided they were not for us. Queens has some great ones specifically for boys or girls, without pictures or questionable language. We also like What is God's Design For My Body by Susan Horner. It explains things well without a getting overly explicit. There are other books in the series called Why do Plants Grow and Why do Birds build nests that are meant for younger children. MHO is, why show children pictures of what is meant to be seen only in private, even if they are drawings, KWIM?

I've looked into these as well. I've read the reviews on Amazon and this lady has some good points about it not be age appropriate for younger kids and how it may be a bit confusing for girls since it's written from Father to Son.

However, the text she quotes is awfully corny and I cannot imagine reading it to my kids-I'd start laughing.

Copied from Amazon:

By LLH "Lindsay Loo Hoo" (Anchorage, AK) - See all my reviews

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

This review is from: The Story of Me (Paperback)

First, I have a little girl. The story is told from a father to a son and so it uses sentences like "The doctor saw right away you had a penis, and that's how she knew right away you were a boy." Talk about confusing a 4 year old girl! I skimmed over most of this book and I think about 40% of it is appropriate and the rest is inappropriate. The book uses words like "you came through my vagina, i pushed really hard, God made my vagina so it would stretch just enough to let you out." HOLY COW!

Also, one part says "sometimes a mother knows she will not be able to give everything her baby needs. this mother might let someone adopt her baby." CONFUSING! It also says God waits a few years after people are married to give them a baby. Since our daughter was conceived within the first year, also confusing. Also talks about not sharing a touch with someone, or taking love that you don't want to share, and that someday when you marry you can be private with your wife. Very advanced for a 4 year old.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy this book, tell your children when you are comfortable telling them. Trust yourself, you don't need this book.

Oh my.....I think I will pass on this series and keep looking. :001_smile:

I bought the whole series when my dd was 3yo. I read the first book to her, and I found it to be completely appropriate. I really appreciated how it helped me to introduce appropriate names to body parts. Her brother had just been born, and she thought that he went to the bathroom out of his belly button! And I really liked the explanation that God takes a little bit of mommy and a little bit of daddy to make a baby. I fully expected her to ask more questions, but that was, and continues to be, enough for her.

Anyway, the next book is for 5-8yos, and it deals with the mechanics of intercourse. Dd is now 7yo, and I cannot bring myself to read this book with her. But if she were going to a b&m school, I would just make myself read it to her. I have heard so many stories of kids even younger being exposed to things they knew nothing about.

You definitely have to buy into the philosophy of these books that it is better for your children to hear it from you than from other children. I do think that homeschooled children can wait a bit longer for these books than kids who go to school.

I have read the first book to my 5 year old. He was asking where babies come from, and he tends to ask very detailed questions and never be satisfied until he gets a thorough explanation. After reading this book, he didn't ask any more questions! They'd all been answered.

I did hate reading it, as it sounds so hokey. But I felt like the material covered was just right for my curious son.

I haven't read it to my 8 year old. He hadn't asked.

We are a very open, non-conservative family, they can talk to us about anything. But even I skipped a few pages, glossed over things, and literally cringed at some of the pictures (and my children were present at all of my births)

We have the first two books, and I really feel each book is meant for the latter age range (or a bit beyond)

I.e.

Book 1 - Says 3 to 5. I would say 5-7

Book 2 - says 5-8, i would say 8-11

Book 3 & 4 (I haven't read) could probably be done 12+.

THey are VERY graphic, even if its just pencil drawings. I don't want the kids to know at age 5 what DH & I do to the detail in our bedroom :001_huh:

The book I had when I was younger (and I was pretty sure I purchased,...will have to go looking) is Where did I come from? I can't remember the details of it, it may still be quite graphic, but its more cartoony/light looking, than the darker drawings of the God's Design Series.

It would be really nice to have a book that teachers the basics, but glossing over the whole s*x part, as I think I can objectively do that talk with my children when they are ready, which I don't (IMO) think is at age 5. :confused:

:bigear: Listening for more ideas