Menu

UT Austin's high school classes

I'm looking for any info on UT Austin's high school classes, specifically English. My last kid does much better work for someone else so I am outsourcing as much as possible next year. Add to that my having to be away for 4-5 days every other week to help my elderly mom. I haven't found anything for English that satisfied me until I saw their syllabus. I like the reading choices and it appears the work is graded by an instructor. In researching this, I have been surprised at how often even work in English courses is computer graded.

So anyone have any info on these classes?

Thanks.

Ruth in NC

Ruth: Another possible option is Distance Learning from Texas Tech University ISD (TTUISD). I'm not sure if you will like their course as much as the one at UT, but I know the TTUISD teachers work, full time, in the Lubbock ISD and that they are humans grading things, not computers. Here's a link: http://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/k-12/

GL.

P.S.

TTUISD also has Dual Credit courses with Texas Tech University (TTU)

Thanks, Lanny. I will check it out.

Ruth

ADDED later - I was looking at some notes I had made about this a few months ago and, in fact, had noted that Texas Tech seemed to have a lot of faculty oversight. Time to re-examine. Thanks.

Edited by Ruth in NC

My son took several courses last year from TTUISD, and we were not satisfied with many of them. The worst class of all was English! It had just been revamped and the new teacher was awful! She was not only slow to reply to questions, but also rude and dismissive. :001_huh:

My son took several courses last year from TTUISD, and we were not satisfied with many of them. The worst class of all was English! It had just been revamped and the new teacher was awful! She was not only slow to reply to questions, but also rude and dismissive. :001_huh:

@Blittle6 I see that is your first post on WTM. Welcome!

Here is the Facebook page for TTUISD. https://www.facebook.com/TTUISD

Please go to that page and post detailed information about your experiences with TTUISD there. I believe the TTUISD Marketing Department and the Principal of the TTUISD High School will follow up and investigate. Thank you!

@Ruth in NC When I called TTUISD, on April 17th, I was told that their Teachers are employed, Full Time, by the Lubbock ISD, and that there might be a delay, of 1 or 2 days, before they can reply to student questions. I believe the woman I spoke with was very honest and that it was her idea to share that information with me.

Edited by Lanny
Add that it may be a day or 2 before teachers reply

Thank you for your welcome!

At the time we had the poor experience, I was in close communication with our academic counselor and the principal as my son was enrolled as a full time TTUISD student. They did attempt to stay on top of the English class issues, but I frequently got the excuse of it being a revamped course so it had "kinks" to work out. I can assure you that we waited well over 1-2 days for things to be graded, and I would have to email the counselor to get any action from the teacher. We had to point out several issues with the formatting of assignments where questions were formatted incorrectly, and the right answers were not a part of the multiple choice options presented. On one occasion, my son asked the teacher why he had missed a question and even sent her a page from the reading that showed the answer as being correct, and we had to email the advisor after he had not received an answer for a week. This prompted the teacher to send him a message saying that she was not in charge of the content and could not help and that we should contact the person in charge of curriculum. This message was forwarded to our counselor and the principal who assured us that it would be taken care of but it never was. Our experience with this class and the way it was handled led us to withdraw our son from TTUISD.

Yes, their teachers are certified and employed by Lubbock ISD and do the Tech classes as a side job. This is one of the requirements to keep the program accredited.

I'm not saying this is always the case with their classes, but it was our personal experience.

Edited by Blittle6

@Blittle6 Thank you, for taking the time tonight, to give us a much better explanation of your experience! I was told that it might be a day or two, before the teachers can reply to questions from students. I didn't ask how long it takes for things to be graded. :)

In our case, the Middle School courses are just now being changed, from Print courses to Online courses. The first of the 6th grade courses will be online on 15 August 2012 and the last 2 courses will be online on 01 November 2012. If there are issues, hopefully, we will be able to work them out OK! :001_smile: