Menu

Verbal toddler question

roanna

At the start of the 2nd year children are typically speaking about 50 words and putting two words together. By the 3rd birthday they are typically speaking about 1000 words in an average of 3 word sentences. Grammar is typically simplified at age 2.

My daughter was always pretty verbal (though I don't know that she was above average. But she's always talked a lot!). By that age, she used most verbs correctly (not the irregular ones) and used pronouns correctly. She also went through a phase from 18 months - 2 where she would use every single descriptive word possible when speaking about anything. She'd spout out a sentence about her dolly, then name every color on the dolly, all Dolly's clothes, how Dolly's hair looked, and then move on to who bought the dolly for her and at what store and when she got it. She eventually morphed that into actual sentences.

Examples -

"She will be so happy I feed her." (in reference to giving our female cat food & water)

"No! That's not his drink. I had the pink cup. It's my favorite."

"I will wear my pink small doggy shirt. Nana bought it for me when we went to the park with her. She bought it at...where does Nana buy clothes? I have to ask her."

I'm not exactly sure why you are looking for. How that helped.

Ive looked around to try to find this but haven't found good examples...

If you had an extra verbal 2 1/2 yr old what were they saying (content and grammar usage)?

What is normal for a two year old?

From our sample of 8 ;) , what is normal at 2 is very different from child to child. Our boys were late talkers. The were mostly just saying words and simple 2-3 word phrases. Our girls have been more verbal. Until our current 2 yr old, our oldest dd was the most verbal. She started talking in sentences well before 2 and had simple conversations.

Our current 2 yr old is not only verbal, but her speech is distinctly different than her older siblings. The vocabulary she uses does not "mirror" the vocabulary being used in the context of the conversation w/her. For example, a few months ago (shortly after turning 2) she was pushing the buttons on the drawer inside of our fridge. (ones I never use) It started whirring and she jumped back. I looked at her and teasingly asked, "Did you break the refrigerator?" Her response was, "Actually, mommy, it was an accident."

This weekend her oldest sister was crying after her boyfriend who had been here visiting left to go back home. I told her that her sister was sad b/c she wasn't going to see him for a long time. She said, "I know, mommy. She is lonely b/c she misses [name]."

Both my children had almost "adult" speech by 2.5 barring a few idiosyncrasies. DS just turned three was slower to speak and still says "goed" instead of "went". DD had well over 100 words before 1 and was speaking in full sentences from 14 months. When a random "nice old lady" asked me how old the baby in the sling was, DD lent out of the sling and said; "I'm 20 months old.".

I'm not sure what "normal" is.

Thank you everyone. My son starting speaking a bit early at 11 months but being a boy I guess didn't feel the need to speak a ton but when he did he spoke well.

My daughter is quite the talker and what seems to me to be using grammar well and saying things that she is not "mirroring" as you said. But since my son spoke early I just don't know what is normal.

Both my children had almost "adult" speech by 2.5 barring a few idiosyncrasies. DS just turned three was slower to speak and still says "goed" instead of "went". DD had well over 100 words before 1 and was speaking in full sentences from 14 months. When a random "nice old lady" asked me how old the baby in the sling was, DD lent out of the sling and said; "I'm 20 months old."

I'm not sure what "normal" is.

:lol::lol::lol:

I don't have a great sense of what "normal" two year old speech is either. My oldest was unusually verbal like your kids. My 2nd and 3rd were/are late talkers. DS by about 4 1/2 became verbally advanced (though not unusually so like his big sister) but he continues to have odd vocabulary gaps. Youngest DD is still delayed in her speech though she has made a lot of progress over the past 6 months.

Calvin was very verbal. This conversation happened when he was 2 1/2

Calvin: There's a bee in your ear (he meant 'my')

Me: Is there? Does it buzz?

C: No

Me: How do you know it is there?

C: I didn't know it was there

Me: Did it fly in?

C: No, it flied out.

And this sentence:

Calvin: There's a blue truck going past with pipes on it and there's another blue truck going past with no pipes on it.

Laura

My older daughter had about fifteen words at twenty-three months, then started speaking in sentences two weeks before her second birthday, so not an early talker. At two-and-a-half she was using unusual vocabulary for a kid that age, but sometimes creative grammar, still. We had this conversation at that age:

(me) "Go into the house and do a potty try before we leave."

(her) "No, I don't want to."

(me) "This is non-negotiable. We're going to be in the car for a long time. Go on."

(her) "It is! It is 'gotiable!"

(me) "Go now."

(her, as she runs into the house) "Maybe Daddy will 'gotiate with me!"

My younger daughter is not that age yet, but spoke much earlier (Sentences at about sixteen or seventeen months.) She is currently 21 months, and speaks pretty well, but will fairly often conjugate her verbs incorrectly.

The funny part of it all is that she frequently stands on a self made podium giving speeches, with hand motions :)

The podiums are usually made from books (trying to stop this) or toy boxes.

It's pretty entertaining. My son would never do this because he's just more introverted and shy.

My daughter was a very early talker. The week before her 2nd birthday, I turned the page of a book we'd had for only about 10 days and she blurted out "Poor Rabbit. His splendid plan for un-bouncing Tigger did not work out very well!" I had pretty in depth discussions with her, including about her own behavior, and other people (who had more experience with kids and knew what was normal) said things like "she's still just a little kid!" I didnt really understand what they meant, but I think they felt I was pushing her in to being too abstract or perhaps expecting her to be more mature than she was ready for - but she was always amazingly mature.

I thought my second child was a late speaker, but he was actually also early, just not AS early. I was frustrated because he didnt know the alphabet as early as she did, but was reading better at the end of K than she was.

My youngest, tho, at 2 yo only had about a 20 word vocabulary and was not putting words together. That was so hard for me to understand and accept!

Ds3 was an early talker, but I don't remember anything about grammar. I just rmemeber talking to him was very easy. In fact, I'm having trouble telling a difference from then and now. Ds5, however, was not talking as well until after he was 3 1/2. I babysit my friend's 2.5 year old and I cannot understand a single thing she says, and when she does speak it's one or two word sentences. So there is a large range.

My Understanding Children book says for 25-30 months, intellectual development: often calls self by own name; speaks 50 or more words, has a vocabulary of 300 words. Uses phrases and 3- to 4- word sentences; understands and asks for "another;" can point to and name own body parts when asked.

31-36 months, intellectual development: talks so that 75-80% of his speech is understandable. Uses 3- to 5- word sentences; may stumble over words sometimes-this is not usually a sign of stuttering; verbalizes toilet needs; uses plural and increases use of verbs. Begins use of adjectives and propositions; vocabulary of 900-1,000 words by 3 years. Uses verbal commands; gives full name when asked. Asks "What's that?"

Well, Bot-bot's extra verbal, about 26 mos, and says things like, "Mama, please don't take my lollipop away!" or "Papa, how was your bike ride today?" with pauses between words. (No, I don't steal his lollipops! but sometimes I temporarily repossess them ...)

Button didn't talk at all until about 2 1/2. Except for "aaa." Which covered all his bases. He began speaking, soon beautifully. And now is rarely quiet, it seems ... :D

So here's an example.

G: I want to watch Pinocchio, the REAL Pinocchio (we have a fake one)

Me: why do you want to watch Pinnochio all the time?

G: because I love it

Me:But WHY do you love Pinnochio so much?

G: because I like the music

Then the movie starts and she's confused because the credits are starting at the beginning so she says , there are words on the screen.

I realize she's not talking about physics but at times I just think to myself , is it odd that she is able to express herself well at this age? I am so thankful when my kids start talking because from 0-1 is totally not my favorite age because I have such a hard time not being able to communicate with them.

Sounds about like my daughter, who will be 3 soon. She's very advanced verbally and always has been. She's also extremely good at foreign languages and singing (remembering lyrics/singing on pitch and in rhythm). I think all those things are related. So it's neat that your daughter likes the music of the Pinocchio movie the best :)

I notice my daughter's verbal skills surge forward seemingly every few weeks, but it's hard to quantify these days as she says so much. She uses grammar appropriately the vast majority of the time. I notice whenever she says something a little off, but it's not frequent and usually when she's trying to describe a more abstract concept that she's not directly familiar with but has heard adults discuss.

As an aside, she's always worked very hard at getting pronunciations perfect, so obviously pays a lot of attention to words and meanings. Her biggest verbal surge that was obvious was when she was 15 months old. At the beginning of the month she could say 37 words. Three weeks later her vocabulary was over 160 words!

Kids are so fun!

Becky

Sounds about like my daughter, who will be 3 soon. She's very advanced verbally and always has been. She's also extremely good at foreign languages and singing (remembering lyrics/singing on pitch and in rhythm). I think all those things are related. So it's neat that your daughter likes the music of the Pinocchio movie the best :)

Hmm .. that's interesting. My 3yo has been my most verbal (all but the first have been and the first as beyond made up for it) and he also seems to have the strongest "thing" for foreign language. Also, his first word after mom and dad was "hallelujah" which he was singing from a hymn. His first 3 word sentence was at 10mo but he really seemed to pick and choose when he was going to speak and would go for long periods without doing so. I have noticed (even just learning to speak but also learning foreign language) he will study my mouth but won't always attempt to say the word himself right at that time. He's the kid running around in the nursery singing Latin grammar chants. Another odd (cool odd) thing was that he made up a real story (by real I mean .. it made sense with a storyline and climax and resolution and such) from just one picture of a book cover and then put the picture up on the music stand of the keyboard and put the climax to music (he would say things like, "this is the Scare coming out of the woods and growling at Franklin," and then he'd play some dramatic music - he did stuff like that a couple of times when he was 2 also, not with a fully developed story though). Just tonight DH took him to piano practice with his brother because of what he saw when playing with him at the keyboard and apparently he's be accepted for short lessons.

Anyway, your comment just made me think about it and put those things all together.

Sounds about like my daughter, who will be 3 soon. She's very advanced verbally and always has been. She's also extremely good at foreign languages and singing (remembering lyrics/singing on pitch and in rhythm). ...

Hmm .. that's interesting. My 3yo has been my most verbal (all but the first have been and the first as beyond made up for it) and he also seems to have the strongest "thing" for foreign language. Also, his first word after mom and dad was "hallelujah" which he was singing from a hymn. ...

Anyway, your comment just made me think about it and put those things all together.

I think there's definitely something here, and am considering whether we should seriously enhance Bot-bot's foreign language exposure and/or his music (but he's just 2, so I'm not in an uber-hurry). When we stayed a few days with a friend who speaks Polish to her own children, she was floored by Bob-bot's beautiful pronunciation. Apparently his Polish is flawless (while her own little ones' versions are muddied with American accents) :D...

• 4 weeks later...

So this was so embarrassing today....

We are at our local grocery store and it's just me and my daughter (2 1/2) this time.

She asks out loud:

Is that a lady or a man?

Everyone around me was snickering.

Then, because I got so many groceries I took up the box boys offer to help me out. We live very close to Mexico so a good majority of the people are dark skinned. She was so skeptical of him helping us out to the car. We start driving away and she says:

I don't like that man, I don't want to see him again.

I asked why and she said...he is purple.

I really enjoy that she is verbal but I sense more embarrassing moments due to it.

My older daughter had about fifteen words at twenty-three months, then started speaking in sentences two weeks before her second birthday, so not an early talker. At two-and-a-half she was using unusual vocabulary for a kid that age, but sometimes creative grammar, still. We had this conversation at that age:

(me) "Go into the house and do a potty try before we leave."

(her) "No, I don't want to."

(me) "This is non-negotiable. We're going to be in the car for a long time. Go on."

(her) "It is! It is 'gotiable!"

(me) "Go now."

(her, as she runs into the house) "Maybe Daddy will 'gotiate with me!"

:lol: That is hilarious. And about what dd was doing at the same age.

I've always thought if one talked to children instead of at them they got language quicker.