Menu

Plunked down down payment for Int. Academy...

Gosh, I just plunked down the down payment for fall sem. I will be the International Academy Reporter and let you know the updates. Exactly how much support will there be?

If I was smart I would have a blog. But I am computer illiterate.

Here we go, diving into new territory.

Jet

Virtual charter through the state. They go under lots of different names for lots of diff. states.

I do independent, but there are a lot of other moms who use the charter and have more info. With independent, I dont have to mess with any rules , I just pay my money and go. We have been doing six yrs and works well.

I have younger in K12 independent which is just k12.com and that is much cheaper and no teachers, work at own pace.

Jet

Virtual charter through the state. They go under lots of different names for lots of diff. states.

I do independent, but there are a lot of other moms who use the charter and have more info. With independent, I dont have to mess with any rules , I just pay my money and go. We have been doing six yrs and works well.

I have younger in K12 independent which is just k12.com and that is much cheaper and no teachers, work at own pace.

Jet

...and I was surprised to find that the curriculum for K-8 was the exact same as the curric purchased through K12 consumer direct. Also found out that the mastery-based "grading" is exactly the same. It actually made me feel better about our recent decision to withdraw from a virtual academy and go K12 Independent again.

I'm sorry to hear that you had already paid before finding out that it was exactly the same as charter. I imagine the teachers are different, though, and that there will be no state testing since the icademy does not need to adhere to state standards. I wonder whether the charter will be structured the same way as the international. Do you have any idea yet?

I struggled with the decision regarding the icademy enrollment. What helped a lot was the fact that my dc are still k-8 and I truly missed the flexibility of homeschooling. My kids are looking forward to the return to independence.

I've followed your posts for a while now and my first thought was whether you think you would adjust easily to the state-based requirements inherent in virtual academy/charter enrollment. Based on the K12 online presentation, there does seem to be a bit more flexibility in the ICademy than in the virtuals.

I am looking forward to reading about your experiences with the k12 private school.

Got first call from placement counselor. I thought, good ,already paying for itself.

Sadly, no. She did not have dd's transcript in front of her, and dd has been attending this school for last two yrs. I gave her the exact info. over ph. and she said she needed to physically see it. So she said she will maybe call me back MOn.

Also, asked her about CA. grad req. and she said they dont follow those since they are international. So I guess that is something I have to keep my eye on.

Strike one, hopefully Mon. goes much better.

Jet:glare:

Got first call from placement counselor. I thought, good ,already paying for itself.

Sadly, no. She did not have dd's transcript in front of her, and dd has been attending this school for last two yrs. I gave her the exact info. over ph. and she said she needed to physically see it. So she said she will maybe call me back MOn.

Also, asked her about CA. grad req. and she said they dont follow those since they are international. So I guess that is something I have to keep my eye on.

Strike one, hopefully Mon. goes much better.

Jet:glare:

Sorry to hear about this. Did you have the opportunity to talk about anything related to placement or did the counselor just tell you to wait until next week? I am interested to know how receptive they will be to your input as a parent regarding your dd's placement?

Thanks for keeping us posted.

My assumption would be that since they're a private school, there's no reason for them to *need* to follow any particular state's public school graduation requirements. What I *would* keep in mind, as you plan, are the minimum requirements for any college or university that your daughter might want to apply to in the future. In California, I'd pay particular attention to the UC requirements listed here. If there's a particular school she has in mind, go ahead and call their admissions office now, since it may be that their entering freshmen (or entering scholarship recipients) have a stronger profile than that listed as the minimums on their website.

Thanks for the link to the UC requirements - it's been on my list to seek out. I'm not sure what DD wants to do - but they are more stringent than the UF ones, and she's been talking about going back to CA since we moved to FL.

My assumption would be that since they're a private school, there's no reason for them to *need* to follow any particular state's public school graduation requirements. What I *would* keep in mind, as you plan, are the minimum requirements for any college or university that your daughter might want to apply to in the future. In California, I'd pay particular attention to the UC requirements listed here. If there's a particular school she has in mind, go ahead and call their admissions office now, since it may be that their entering freshmen (or entering scholarship recipients) have a stronger profile than that listed as the minimums on their website.

I am surprised that wasnt the first thing out of her mouth, college or career bound, and if so at least what states, so we can meet req. since short window of time.

Drat. Maybe they have a sep. college counselor. I will try to remember for tomorrow.

I have been keeping track of UC req. but she might want to go to PA.

Jet

The requirements for most competitive schools are generally quite similar. (And what is *required* is usually pretty basic.) But it's a good idea to double check with any schools that even *may* be on her want-to-apply list. They'll all have the high school requirements for entering freshmen listed somewhere on their websites.

Have her do the highest requirements. So if one requires 4 sciences, do that. If one requires advanced math, do that. If one requires 5 social studies, do that. If one requires 3, not 2, years of Foreign Lang, do that. So your homeschool diploma requirements may be a cross between the requirements of 2-4 universities.

I do have a question for you.....

Did you say something to the effect that your daughter, for the last 2 years, has taken only 4 classes at a time? And that she's finishing up Algebra I? But that she's going into 11th? It may be that the international school will only consider her a 10th grader at first until her credits and level matches up more traditionally (for example, having 12 or 14 credits and having completed enough of each subject). Thankfully, she's very young for her grade either way so it won't have to be a big deal. But just a consideration because they'll have their own grade level and graduation requirements. But here, you can't get into 11th grade without at least 12 credits.

If I misunderstood, please excuse me. It was just something I thought, if true, might be something you don't need to be blind-sided with when talking to them.

Have her do the highest requirements. So if one requires 4 sciences, do that. If one requires advanced math, do that. If one requires 5 social studies, do that. If one requires 3, not 2, years of Foreign Lang, do that. So your homeschool diploma requirements may be a cross between the requirements of 2-4 universities.

I do have a question for you.....

Did you say something to the effect that your daughter, for the last 2 years, has taken only 4 classes at a time? And that she's finishing up Algebra I? But that she's going into 11th? It may be that the international school will only consider her a 10th grader at first until her credits and level matches up more traditionally (for example, having 12 or 14 credits and having completed enough of each subject). Thankfully, she's very young for her grade either way so it won't have to be a big deal. But just a consideration because they'll have their own grade level and graduation requirements. But here, you can't get into 11th grade without at least 12 credits.

If I misunderstood, please excuse me. It was just something I thought, if true, might be something you don't need to be blind-sided with when talking to them.

You must be a mindreader. I was just thinking that this morning. Its funny noone ever mentioned credit req. for past two yrs. I order every semester. I did put that on my list this morning, if she ever calls me back.

Thank you for reminding me. And you are right she is young so we might have some courses to take when she is sixteen.

Jet

Well, Pamela in Tx , you win. Since K12 independent did not help me plan better and give me heads up on credits nec. to grad. We are 15 credits behind.

Which means she has to work nonstop with full course load until she grads. Hard classes to mostly math and science. And she is a Eng/ History buff.

HEADS UP: Int. has diff grad. reqs. than Cal. req. So she needs 4 yr SCi. and 4 math which is going to lower her GPA. Oh and two consecutive lang. classes. Wish I knew befor down pymt. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Need to take vacation now, because not getting break for two yrs. or more.

Wish me luck,

Jet

Oh yeah, my second goes into high school next yr. I think I might find different online school, if this yr. does not work out.

I'm sorry to have been right....in a way. It hit me when you originally said it, but I decided it wasn't my business. But starting a school, I knew it might be an issue so I wanted to mention it just to be helpful.

So is it that she needs 15 credits to graduate? That really isn't bad considering she's 14. Ya know? She could do 2 heavy years or spread it over 3 years and take some interest based and easier courses also. She'll look stronger on her college applications that way.

Remember, there is no rush. There is no race. Our kids all do what they do. I sincerely try not to compare children because it's SO tough for either kid. In our case, I have one a little advanced and one a little behind. I don't want either to feel pushed in any way.

Anyway, the great thing is like the poster above said, your daughter has the opportunity of an excellent education.

As for either of your daughters, it is not necessary to have a school. You COULD choose to do it yourself like so many of us do/have done. It isn't really any harder, just different. Then you don't have to worry about ANYONE's rules except for the colleges they will be attending.

Well, first, I'm very sorry that you find that your daughter isn't in the academic position you thought she was. That's got to be a tough realization.

But I have to admit, I'm a little confused. You're calling her a junior this fall, right? Well, a student from a typical school would be entering their junior year with 12-14 credits (at least) already, and expect to complete another 12-14 before graduation. The requirements you've listed for K12 International are *very* much in line with what you would find in a typical private school (or even the college-bound requirements for some public school diplomas)... (In fact, I'm surprised that the foreign language requirement is only two years -- many schools require three of one or two each of two.)

Since your daughter is young, would it work better to do an additional three years of school? Would that take off some of the pressure?

Alternately, if you decide that you want to ditch K12 and have her graduate in 2 years, but with fewer credits, perhaps you should consider sending her to a community college for a year between home school high school and transferring to a university...

If you do decide to ditch the k12, would you be in any position to get your dd to the community college for a few classes? I know it's a pain to get her to the closest community college from where you are, but she could go just 1 or 2 days a week in a dual-enrollment situation and rack up a lot of credits. One semester of a good foreign language class in college is generally counted as a full year of high school foreign language credit-wise. The community college closest to you (I think I know where you are, anyway...not to be creepy or anything:D) has a pretty good reputation.

I also agree with the others though...your dd is very young. My 14 yo is actually a high school freshman this year. Are you sure you're computing her grade level and credits-needed situation accurately?

You guys are all right. I dont know if money is refundable. It seems no matter what I am going to have to do fifteen credits for college.

She could do online dual enrollment for cc. I am going to stick it out through this yr. The old K12 was not challenging to her, Apex was. So she just might need six courses to keep her mind going with K12. I asked if it was set up like reg. K12 and they said yes.

I think I can get refund up to 21 days into course. So if too much I will cancel and maybe switch some to Keystone, they dont have the deadlines.

I asked to enter her in some of the kids clubs they have early in Aug. that might take her mind off all the rough stuff. In case interested this sem. is

Biology, Honors American Lit, Span. II, Flash Animation, Govt and Pol. and Geometry.

Will keep you all updated.

Jet

You guys are all right. I dont know if money is refundable. It seems no matter what I am going to have to do fifteen credits for college.

I think I can get refund up to 21 days into course. So if too much I will cancel and maybe switch some to Keystone, they dont have the deadlines.

Will keep you all updated.

Jet

Jet,

So sorry about the way this has happened.

More food for thought (as if you haven't had enough already)...

If you are contemplating a refund at all remember to take another look at the K12 International Academy's Student Handbook. (I was surprised that it was posted on the K12 Icademy webpage only ten days before today's discount deadline.) They are very clear about their refund policy on page 25.

For any interested you can find a link to the 28 page student handbook at http://www.k12.com/int/. Click the "Who We Are" tab and choose "Our Policies." It's a .pdf download.

What follows is information taken from page 25.

"Withdrawal and Refund

Refunds are calculated based on the withdrawal date. The parent/guardian must send a letter, fax or e-mail to the K12 office requesting a withdrawal. Withdrawal date is defined as the postmarked date of the letter or the electronic imprint date on the withdrawal fax/e-mail. "

100% tuition refunded if the withdrawal DATE is prior to the start date of school AND no materials have been shipped.

75% tuition refund if withdrawal DATE is prior to the start date of courses AND materials have been shipped.

50% tuition refund if the withdrawal DATE is within **21 CALENDAR DAYS** after the start date of classes.

0% tuition refund if withdrawal DATE is more than **21 CALENDAR DAYS** after the start date of the courses.

:confused:[**Are calendar days continuous days as opposed to business days which are only Mon-Fri?**]

Finally:"Any applicable shipping charges are non-refundable if materials have been shipped."

Given all that's happened, I just want to remind you of the stringent nature of their tuition refund deadlines.

So she just might need six courses to keep her mind going with K12.

I would say 6 courses is the bare minimum a high school student of any age should be taking anyway. The only reason my daughter only has 6 courses (though 9 credits) next year is because she's doing so much volunteer work each month also...This is her lightest year since before 7th grade though. Again, I would never consider a young student high school level if they weren't capable of handling 6-8 courses at a time. ANY college is going to expect to see them consistently doing at least a normal workload.

Seriously, I think your daughter is more capable than you're giving her credit for unless you're just pushing too hard and she's not developmentally ready. She is 14 and an individual. And to address your other post, there most certainly is NOTHING wrong with doing high school at 16; most every student in the whole country is a 10th or 11th grader at 16 (mine will turn 16 this fall and is going into 11th).

I do hope you take this post (and the others) in the best light. I may just be misunderstanding something; I don't know. But you want to make sure your daughter has a good foundational education regardless of her future plans.