Menu

Getting stuff on cd's, audiobooks, ect done...

thundersweet

I have such a hard time with this. I want to use more cd's and audiobooks as supplements in our homeschool but I just don't get to them. How do you schedule these in your home? Do you set a certain time every day to listen? Just pop them in when you remember? We aren't in the car enough to listen so that doesn't work for us. I would really like the kids to start listening to SOTW on cd but it's just not getting done. I know this is a pretty dumb question but I want to see how others do it.

Sandy

I got my kids their own CD player. It's on a shelf right outside their bedrooms. I put CDs we get from the library (audio books) plus the Story of the World CDs and a few others in a basket next to them. Whenever my kids play something relatively quiet (legos, blocks, etc...) they put them on and listen to them. It's gotten to where they just do it on their own. They listen for probably 1-2 hours a day this way. Now, they're not inclined to put on multiplication songs or things of that sort:001_smile: but they will do anything with a story line that they like. They've gotten through huge amounts of materials this way...and they like it.

We have required "quiet time" in their rooms everyday, and they must listen to audiobooks or read for the first hour per day (they can build or draw or play quietly while listening). Usually, they get so into the story that they continue to listen to the book for the second hour too. :D They are also allowed to stay up later at night as long as they are on their beds listening to an audiobook.

My kids have their own cd players and I have one in the schoolroom/playroom. My son has spent hours listening while playing legos or fiddling around with his coin collection. My dd likes to listen while she draws or does crafts.

Also, even if you are not in the car a lot on a regular basis (we no longer are), you can listen to a lot on a long trip for a vacation.

Lisa

I put them on my old iPod and let DD listen to it whenever she likes. Usually it's during lunch or if she's taking a long time to eat dinner. (She's a slooooooooooow eater.) She also likes to listen around bedtime or in the car.

I've actually had trouble keeping her supplied with audiobooks this way. She will listen for an hour or two at a time, which is much longer than I am able to read aloud in a day.

We listen in the car a lot. Short trips to the store, library, etc and longer trips if/when we take them. I bought a Sansa Clip Zip mp3 player from Costco then finally sat down and ripped the CDs I had into mp3 format. I loaded the MP3 player up, and in our car it plugs right into the sound system. Works great!