Menu

Impacted earring

Anyone ever dealt with an impacted earring?

My doctor's office said they didn't know if they could take care of it but would look at it this afternoon.

I'm not sure what to expect~it's my 10 y.o.

She had her ears pierced two weeks ago and we were told to make sure the backing of the earring didn't touch the back of her ear. Well, it fell off and when she put a new one on she put it too close to the ear and the front of the earring became impacted overnight. We tried pressing it through but it hurt so I thought it best to wait for the doctor's advice~didn't expect to hear they might not be able to take care of it though! Hope this doesn't mean emergency room. :glare:

Edited by Sophia

That happened to me when I was about your daughter's age.

I did end up in the emergency room, but that was likely because we were in Europe at the time and away from my regular doctor.

For what it's worth, it wasn't really a big deal, and I was a total wimp as a kid.

I was instructed to let the ears heal, though, and not wear earrings in the holes any longer. This was a long, long time ago, however.

This sort of happened with my dd. When the earrings were being put in, one technician squeezed too hard and put the back on too tight. My dd was in so much pain but we just held her down and pulled it out. I then used tons of antiseptic and such on her ear. I did put the earring back in (it was a solid gold earring with a locking back) and just paid special attention to that ear for several days.

According to our ped. it's not that unusual. My dd allowed an entire earring back to grow into her ear before saying anything to anyone so she required surgery to remove the back. Fortunately after all of that her doctor was able to fix her hole and not problems since then. He did stress that using the bigger backs (the type you have to buy separately) during the first year of new earrings can prevent that from happening. HTH

I put orajel on the ear, had someone distract the kids, and pushing hard. Popped right out. The worst of the pain was over instantly and it actually felt better than it had when the earring was in. Motrin and ice took care of the rest of it.

Lots of attention to ear for several days. Hole ended up being larger than the other one.

I'm sorry this happened. But, I suspect it's rather common.

Hugs to your dd and hugs to you...since you're the one who has to solve the problem.

We had this happen last year (but it was the BACK that was in her ear) to my then-five year old! I had her lay on my bed, bad ear up, with a warm washcloth over it. That seemed to help lessen the swelling and clean up the gunk that had quickly gathered there. I then used a q-tip to press around where the back was to gently get it back to the surface so that I could remove it. We took the entire earring out and treated with saline and neosporin for a couple of days to heal it. We left the earring out for a couple of days and it seems fine now a year later. And I DID call the dr about it-the nurse talked me through all of that to help avoid the ER (which would have been both expensive and very upsetting for DD).

It happened to my daughter as well. It was removed but left a huge divot in the back of her ear that took awhile to 'fill in'. She had a tendency to push the back as tight against as possible. First we tried the larger backs but she did it with those as well. Finally we told her she was only allowed to wear sleepers until she could be less aggressive with the backs.

Glad it went smoothly, and that they didn't do what my husband did. Both the front and back were impacted in my daughter's ear, so my husband grasped the front of the earring with one wrench and the back with another wrench, and pulled. One hand was stronger, and he ended up pulling the larger earring part through the ear lobe and out the back of the ear. So, he did get it out, but it bled like crazy and our daughter was howling in pain. Then he bandaged her ear up so big, it looked ridiculous! It eventually healed up and she got it re-pierced a year or so later.