Menu

Anyone Combining LOE & WRTR?

Shelsi

I know, I know, the WRTR purists are going to cringe! That being said I think I'm going to combine WRTR with LOE this year for my kindergartner.

I didn't see the point in spending all the money on LOE just to have to tailor it way down for my 5 yr old. However I like the added phonograms of LOE (LOE has 74, WRTR has 70) particularly that "y" does make a long e sound sometimes. LOE also has a cursive handwriting program with all the letters starting on the baseline & I've heard great things about LOE's phonogram game book.

So my plan is to use WRTR concepts in how I present the material (and using the Ayres list) but use LOE phonogram cards, games, and handwriting instruction.

Does this sound crazy? It's making total sense in my mind but I think I need someone to tell me if I'm nuts or not.

So my plan is to use WRTR concepts in how I present the material (and using the Ayres list) but use LOE phonogram cards, games, and handwriting instruction.

Sounds good to me. :) I'm all for tweaking a program as needed, taking what works and leaving the rest. The LoE handwriting book doesn't seem necessary to me, but otherwise, I am sure you can use the phonogram cards and games book with Spalding or Spalding-derivative.

Sounds good to me. :) I'm all for tweaking a program as needed, taking what works and leaving the rest. The LoE handwriting book doesn't seem necessary to me, but otherwise, I am sure you can use the phonogram cards and games book with Spalding or Spalding-derivative.

True and I was going to just use the WRTR for handwriting but I want to start my kindergartner with cursive instead of manuscript and WRTR assumes the student starts with manuscript.

I know, I know, the WRTR purists are going to cringe! That being said I think I'm going to combine WRTR with LOE this year for my kindergartner.

I didn't see the point in spending all the money on LOE just to have to tailor it way down for my 5 yr old. However I like the added phonograms of LOE (LOE has 74, WRTR has 70) particularly that "y" does make a long e sound sometimes. LOE also has a cursive handwriting program with all the letters starting on the baseline & I've heard great things about LOE's phonogram game book.

Does this sound crazy? It's making total sense in my mind but I think I need someone to tell me if I'm nuts or not.

Yes, it's crazy.

I don't understand what the point would be. LOE uses *Spalding* concepts (Spalding is the method; WRTR is only the manual). The author of LOE doesn't say it outright, but I am positive that she started out with Spalding; the similarities between them are too close for it to be otherwise.

I can tell you from having countless discussions with people over the last 20 years that it will be best if you pick one (and it doesn't matter which program/method we're talking about) and follow it as closely as possible.

Remember that Spalding has well over 50 years of documented, proven success. That's a heckalong time. I'm pretty sure that means it works...when done properly.

Have you read Spalding's reasoning for teaching only 3 sounds of y?

Q. Why are baby and other words pronounced with the first (short) sound of i when most people say the second (long) sound of e?

A. The Spalding Method teaches children to analyze the written spelling of words. Spelling has remained relatively constant over the years while pronunciations vary among geographical regions and countries. In the English spelling system y and i are used interchangeably, but y and e are not. For example, in the words gym, rhythm, system, we use y to represent the first sound of i.

When teaching children to spell, pronouncing the word ba by (short i), helps them to write y, not e. Note that the accent is on the first syllable. When reading the word for speaking, you have a choice: have children pronounce the word as spoken in your region or maintain the original pronunciation which is consistent with the spelling. Children have no problem with the difference. They understand that pronouncing words two ways helps them spell and read.

Yep, I have. But I agree more with LoE's argument for the long e sound: http://www.logicofenglish.com/resources/articles/item/275-y-says-the-long--e--sound

See, I am just a homeschooling mom. I am not trained in linguistics or speech pathology or anything else that would give me the credentials to disagree with Mrs. Spalding. So I go with the expert, the one who wrote the method. :)