Menu

CC: please pray for our family

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a sweet, elderly man who is a real pillar at our church. He is humble, wise, and has the utmost respect of the congregation.

Once, at a gathering at someone's home, we were playing a game where you say three things about yourself, only one of them being true, and everyone else has to guess which one is true.

One of the things this gentleman said was that he had spent time in prison as a young man, which no one believed. It turns out, it was true.

People can definitely learn from their mistakes and become a better person as a result.

:iagree:

Praying for your son's safety and for your family. I can't imagine what you are going through. My bil went through a rough period and spent some time in jail when he was 19 or so. He is now married, spent some time working with kids, and is now a prison guard.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I was praying for you and wondering how you are. :grouphug:

Thank you. I was thinking about updating but I don't have much to say. I did speak to my son the first week when he was in the county facility waiting to be moved. He seemed ok at that time. He was bored and said the food was terrible. He was very happy that he was being moved and the other inmates told him the state facility was going to be a little better.

He has been at the receiving facilities 2 weeks today and I haven't heard from him. We've written about 6 times and sent a package of books. I hope that he will be able to write and or call soon. Their policy is a phone call after 30 days and a visit after 61 days.There is no time table for him to buy write outs. I did fund his account and he should be allowed to use it soon.

We've had 2 deaths in our extended family since he left, so I've had distractions. At the same time, I've had to explain his absence to people I normally see every 5 years which has been yucky.

That's pretty much it. Keep praying if you are so inclined, it's very hard having him gone and be worried about his safety.

Thanks so much for updating. I am glad that it sounds like he is doing okay considering his circumstances.

I know you are looking forward to your first visit. I am sure it will be difficult to see him there, but that it will be great to see for yourself how he is doing.

:grouphug:

Thanks so much for updating. I am glad that it sounds like he is doing okay considering his circumstances.

I know you are looking forward to your first visit. I am sure it will be difficult to see him there, but that it will be great to see for yourself how he is doing.

:grouphug:

I am looking forward to that. Thanks to all of you again.

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny that you posted because he got to call me last night for the first time.

He doesn't remember a lot cause of his head injury- but the first night in his cell at Joliet the guards found him on the ground with his head bashed in over the toilet. They told him they had never seen so much blood. They took him to a real hospital for a few days. He had 14 staples holding his head together. He then spent a day or two at the prison hospital. Since then he is in protective custody for his own safety. That means he is alone in the cell and only gets out for 2 hours a week. One hour for yard time and one hour for a shower. He just got his phone list approved last night and there is one guard who is nice and he actually let my son call me twice last night for 10 minutes a call.

This is what he told me about his life there: He sleeps all day and stays up all night cause it's so loud. He reads for the first part of the night and then spends some time in prayer. My oldest sent him some yoga meditations and he does them too. Then he does whatever physical fitness he can manage in his cell. He does push ups and pull ups using the bunk above him to get in shape for boot camp. All his meals are brought to him on a tray. The food is bad.

He should have been able to go to the commissary but a guard has to give you the form and then a guard has to pick up your form and then 2 weeks later you get what you ordered. Only you need a pencil to fill out the form ( which you have to buy) a guard did let him use a pencil to get his phone list approved. He says that it takes him 2 hours to sharpen it on the bunk above him. It takes about 2 weeks after a package arrives to get to him. I have sent 5 packages of 5 books each and he has read everything. He had asked me to send a bible and they gave him one there. I sent a catholic one and he was given a Protestant one. He is doing a line by line comparision. He is in good spirits- he sounded tired and hoarse- he says he hardly ever speaks.

He made a deck of cards out of milk cartons and plays solitaire sometimes.

I'm kind of freaking out about his injury. I hope once he gets to the boot camp it won't be so dangerous. This was my worst fear and it happened the first night. I know he's fine now and am glad he is alone- even though he's lonely. He will get one call each Saturday until he starts boot camp around the first week of December. He should be home by April. Pray, chant, do a rain dance, whatever you do think good thoughts for his safety- will you?

Thanks- it helps to know that people care about are he's doing.

Pray, chant, do a rain dance, whatever you do think good thoughts for his safety- will you?

Thanks- it helps to know that people care about are he's doing.

How very difficult for your son, and for you. :-(

Without going into details, my oldest son got into trouble, and was in jail. I understand your fears. I know I don't know you or your son, but please know I have added all of you to my daily prayer list. :grouphug:

I am so sorry to hear that you got such difficult news during your first phone call. I was hoping that it would be different.

I will pray that he heals quickly. Since it did happen, it seems a blessing that it happened immediately, resulting in his being put right into protective custody.

My heart hurts for you. :grouphug:

I will continue to pray for you, for him, and for your entire family. I know that it is very difficult for his siblings also.

Continuing to pray for your son and for you and the rest of your family.

My son could have been in his shoes; I am sorry you have to walk this road, but I am so impressed by your son's attitude and his honesty in confessing.

I wrote to a lifer in Joliet for about a year--I'm sure he's there still. He told me what he could about prison life; it takes some bravery and some patience, among other things, to handle it all--Every blessing to your son.

You know, as scary as that was, him getting his head cracked, it could be what is protecting him. You can never keep to yourself enough, there, and now he's taken out of the mix, so to speak. I have first hand knowledge of this, too. :grouphug: It's a club you never, ever, want to be in.

My son said the same thing, too, about the nights. He said it was *horrible* how loud they were at night.

I will add you all to my daily petitions. :grouphug: