Menu

Silly Question of the Day Re Journaling

What do you call your journal???

I keep a document that I type in whenever I feel like it - it is not necessarily daily and it is not necessarily a log of that days' or weeks' events. It can be anything - thoughts, feelings, happenings, dreams, goals, remembrances, quotes, sermon notes, news from others (excerpted from letters or emails) - just anything.

Even items that I wrote in long hand many years ago - I have been systematically typing them into this online document under the appropriate date and tossing the handwritten papers. Someday (when the old ones are completed, and when fretting over the cost of usage of ink, paper, wear and tear on printer, etc., has hopefully become moot), I would like to print them out, put the pages in page protectors, and put each year in a binder. (I much prefer holding a book/notebook/binder than reading online . . .)

I had been calling it Ramblings, but that sounds too disconnected. Journaling sounds too organized.

So what do you call your journal?

My big red book. It holds lists, Christmas ideas, menus, goals, thoughts, birthday plans, travel ideas, feelings, exciting and disappointing things that have happened, thoughts and impressions I have when I read my scriptures,decorating ideas, notes from lectures and conferences. After I pass away, I often wonder if my kids will be glad to have them or just think they are weird!

My big red book. It holds lists, Christmas ideas, menus, goals, thoughts, birthday plans, travel ideas, feelings, exciting and disappointing things that have happened, thoughts and impressions I have when I read my scriptures,decorating ideas, notes from lectures and conferences. After I pass away, I often wonder if my kids will be glad to have them or just think they are weird!

Sounds like your Big Red Book is akin to what I do! I, too, have wondered what family will think if they ever read any of! It is such a hodgepodge of things. Sometimes I select pages at random to read over and often am amazed at things I had completely forgotten and am so glad they are recorded somewhere . . .

Sometimes I select pages at random to read over and often am amazed at things I had completely forgotten and am so glad they are recorded somewhere . . .

I just recently decided I would read a book (Jesus, The Christ) and take notes chapter by chapter. It's a pretty big book and really quite deep. I felt really good about my goal. Of course, I was putting my notes in The Big Red Book. Then I realized I had already had that goal and finished the first five chapters a few years ago! I had forgotten all about it! Of course then, I felt kinda foolish for starting it, never finishing it, and forgetting I had even started it!

I just recently decided I would read a book (Jesus, The Christ) and take notes chapter by chapter. It's a pretty big book and really quite deep. I felt really good about my goal. Of course, I was putting my notes in The Big Red Book. Then I realized I had already had that goal and finished the first five chapters a few years ago! I had forgotten all about it! Of course then, I felt kinda foolish for starting it, never finishing it, and forgetting I had even started it!

That's funny! Sounds like something I would do.

Speaking of which - in looking over some of my long-forgotten computer files, I realized that studies I had begun, or various writings I had begun (e.g., the story of how we finally got our house) are in separate files, and that I could (and should) paste them chronologically into my journal and delete those separate files. I also realized I had more unfinished writings than I remembered - I really need to finish them . . .

I call mine The Jumbled Mind; because really, mine is much like yours -- a hodgepodge of stuff that I've jotted down over the years. There are long entries of course, but it's definitely not novel material. Just a bunch of jumbled up thoughts.

Eaglie,

Came across this on and entry titled Commonplace books on Wikipedia and thought of you. Perhaps we need to call our journals hodgepodge books? or zibaldones?

The Italian peninsula, during the course of the 14th-century, was the site of a development of two new forms of book production: the deluxe registry book and the zibaldone (or hodgepodge book). What differentiated these two forms was their language of composition: a vernacular.[1]Giovanni Rucellai, the compiler of one of the most sophisticated examples of the genre, defined it as a "salad of many herbs."[2]

Zibaldone were always paper codices of small or medium format – never the large desk copies of registry books or other display texts. They also lacked the lining and extensive ornamentation of other deluxe copies. Rather than miniatures, zibaldone often incorporate the author's sketches. Zibaldone were in cursive scripts (first chancery minuscule and later mercantile minuscule) and contained what Armando Petrucci, the renowned palaeographer, describes as "an astonishing variety of poetic and prose texts."[3] Devotional, technical, documentary and literary texts appear side-by-side in no discernible order. The juxtaposition of gabelle taxes paid, currency exchange rates, medicinal remedies, recipes and favourite quotations from Augustine and Virgil portrays a developing secular, literate culture.[4] By far the most popular of literary selections were the works of Dante Alighieri, Francesco Petrarca and Giovanni Boccaccio: the "Three Crowns" of the Florentine vernacular traditions.[5]These collections have been used by modern scholars as a source for interpreting how merchants and artisans interacted with the literature and visual arts of the Florentine Renaissance.