Menu

Wedding ring(s) question

My engagement ring was lost/stolen during a move a couple of years ago. This year for our anniversary dh said that if everything works out with the jobs he has to do, he would like to either replace my engagement ring or pick out wedding bands for both of us. We eloped and never exchanged rings at our wedding. So if you had to choose, would you replace the diamond or get the bands. Unfortunately we can't afford to do both. I'm leaning toward getting the wedding rings.

I didn't have an engagement ring until a mth or so ago. We went w/just plain gold bands for our wedding.

We replaced Wolf's band, (he lost his) and then a cpl of wks later, I got a new wedding set. It was supposed to be for our 10th wedding ann, but the jeweler was going out of biz, and it was hugely on sale.

My husband has always refused to wear a wedding band, he always kept it in his glove box (we were young when we married, and his LIFE was in his glove box..) and it was lost during a very bad wreck. If he offered to buy us both bands, I'd jump on it LOL

I actually like the look of a pretty, plain band with an eternity band on top. Maybe a few anniversaries from now he could give you an eternity band to stack.

I haven't worn my engagement ring since year 2 (of 34). Didn't like the stone snagging on things. Whenever I would take it in the stone would be loose. Had several friends that had their diamonds fall out after a few years!

I would say get wedding bands.

I'd go with wedding bands, if he can/will wear one. When my husband was a mechanic, he didn't wear one because it's a good way to loose a finger.

You can still replace your engagement ring somewhere down the road.

I was a bit surprised that he suggested getting the bands. In the past when I've brought up buying bands, he's said that I can get one for myself, but he probably wouldn't wear his (he's got some sensory issues), so it wouldn't make sense to buy one for him if he wasn't going to wear it. I agree; maybe the engagement ring could be a 15 year anniversary gift.

My husband has always refused to wear a wedding band, he always kept it in his glove box (we were young when we married, and his LIFE was in his glove box..) and it was lost during a very bad wreck. If he offered to buy us both bands, I'd jump on it LOL

I actually like the look of a pretty, plain band with an eternity band on top. Maybe a few anniversaries from now he could give you an eternity band to stack.

What is an eternity band? I am jumping on it if everything works out. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It doesn't have to be diamonds at all. It could be meaningful gemstones.

DH and I got matching rings a couple years ago. Comfort fit made all the difference in him wearing it consistently. I don't think he's ever taken it off except to rub lotion on my feet.

Also, our rings are stainless steel as he developed some strange thing to gold and I liked them, so I got them. I think we were out $75 for the both of them, engravings and all.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but don't discount antique and vintage jewelry. Both my engagement ring and wedding band came from antique shops. My engagement ring is a classic 1930s platinum set solitaire with side diamonds and lots of engraving. The wedding band is hair-thin, with engraving and teeny diamonds, Victorian era. Together, they cost less than $500.

My setting on my original engagement ring keeps getting loose. DH has busted his ring in half a couple times.

I just replaced my set and his ring with stainless steel and cubic zirconias. So far I love them. $45 for three rings. :)

Edited by fraidycat