Menu

TOG reviews + comparisons with Biblioplan & Truthquest, please

JaneGrey

I looked at TOG for last school year, but a friend discouraged me. She said that a lot of time is spent on the modern period and that the pace for the 3rd year cycle is hectic as a result. Plus, it's huge and expensive. She prefers Biblioplan. I wasn't that thrilled when I looked at Biblioplan year 1, so I passed.

Fast forward to now: I'm looking for a schedule. I'm wasting too much time trying to come up with everything on my own. Doesn't matter how much twisted pleasure I find in doing that...I'm tired! I know we still covered lots of stuff, but I ought to teach my kids some discipline even if momma doesn't have much.

What I liked when I looked over TOG (classic year 1) were: (1) the lists of vocab to cover, (2) the WB excerpts for an overview, and (3) the activities, which seemed interesting (not just paper cutting). I'm all about lists and fun activities. I manage quite well on the fly. I just need some structure that I'm happy with. Apparently, it's not easy to make me happy! I'm shopping for history for year 2 in the cycle. Biblioplan and Truthquest are cheaper alternatives. TOG might be overkill.

Detailed comparisons or review appreciated, especially from those who have used the later TOG years.

Yes, I'm shouting:party:.party hurrah for TOG...I love it.

I felt the same way. Tired of putting it all together, and needing to focus my time on other things too. Not happy with everything else I found, especially as the kids got older and I wanted more...So, I switched to TOG.

It is fabulous. The literature is rich, the activities are fun. You can pick and choose what you want to do. I actually make a copy of the reading list and student assignment pages each week for dc and highlight what they have as assignments. That's their weekly check list, so I don't have to create it or enter it into Homeschool Tracker. Having the maps coordinated is wonderful, time saving, and accurate. TOG is rich in content, and allows the flexibility to do however much you'd like or not. The teacher's notes save you lots of reading time (although I admit, I still prefer to read all of the literature b/c I enjoy the stories). I have been able to get the majority of the books from the library (saving a bundle) and if I can't get the book for free, we just don't read it b/c there are always other options. This curriculum has given me peace and has allowed my children to make sense of our studies b/c it does a great job putting things together.

The Forums are great and customer service is fantastic.

If you'd like my list of how I plan and the structure of our week, I'd be happy to email you. Just PM your email and I'll send it your way.

I would be hesitant to start TOG in year 2. It is very hectic and overwhelming. I loved the other year plans, but after finishing year 2 this May we are taking a TOG break. But we do love it and will return in the future. If you decide to go with it, I would seriously consider taking it half pace. I wish I had listened to that advice myself.

Dorothy

Thought TOG could span all ages? My guys are 6 and 4. Both good readers. The older is a dream student with a great attention span. The younger is ... a busy boy. :tongue_smilie:

Didn't realize it was the 2nd year that was jam-packed. Bummer. This is one of my favorite periods, which is why I wanted to do something exciting...that I can buy.

If you try to do the 2nd year half-paced, what does that look like? Can you still do history in a 4-year cycle?

Thank you all!! :grouphug: (I'm assuming this is a picture of a group hug.)

I looked at TOG for last school year, but a friend discouraged me. She said that a lot of time is spent on the modern period and that the pace for the 3rd year cycle is hectic as a result. Plus, it's huge and expensive. She prefers Biblioplan. I wasn't that thrilled when I looked at Biblioplan year 1, so I passed.

Here's the basic breakdown of the 4 yearplans:

Year 1: Creation through the fall of Rome

Year 2: Fall of Rome through the US Constitution

Year 3: The 1800's

Year 4: The 1900's through today

I know that it looks really out of balance to spend the first two years going through thousands of years of history and then the second two years at 100 years apiece. Believe it or not, there's actually a sound reason for this. The author of TOG believes that most of the things that influence our world today began or occurred within the last 200 years and therefore, she believes that more time should be spent on those years so that students will have a better grounding for things happening today.

I've personally done Years 1, 2 and 4. We'll do Year 3 this coming year. I thought Year 1 was busy, but not overwhelming. I wished that I could spread Year 2 into 2 years, but I need to keep pace for my older students. It was very busy, but still doable. I think Year 3 will be much more relaxed and I'm so looking forward to getting back to American history.

What time period are you looking at studying this year?

Fast forward to now: I'm looking for a schedule. I'm wasting too much time trying to come up with everything on my own. Doesn't matter how much twisted pleasure I find in doing that...I'm tired! I know we still covered lots of stuff, but I ought to teach my kids some discipline even if momma doesn't have much.

To me (an affirmed TOG-lover), it sounds like TOG could very much fit the bill for you. TOG has a wonderful schedule. Because it's set up on a weekly basis, it gives you the flexibility to tweak and arrange so that it fits your family's needs. Sounds like that might make you happy without making you crazy! TOG also has a philosophy of training your kids to take more and more responsibility for their own work as they get older.

What I liked when I looked over TOG (classic year 1) were: (1) the lists of vocab to cover, (2) the WB excerpts for an overview, and (3) the activities, which seemed interesting (not just paper cutting). I'm all about lists and fun activities. I manage quite well on the fly. I just need some structure that I'm happy with. Apparently, it's not easy to make me happy! I'm shopping for history for year 2 in the cycle. Biblioplan and Truthquest are cheaper alternatives. TOG might be overkill.

If you looked at Classic, you really should look at the Redesigned!! It's fabulous! Still has the vocab/timeline/important people. Still has the teacher's notes (the WB excerpts) and the activities. It's so much more visually appealing and it's arranged so well. It has a great structure, but lots of flexibility, which is what it sounds like you are looking for. I've never used Biblioplan or Truthquest, so I can't really comment on those. I know that TOG is expensive, but you do realize that one year of TOG covers a full 1/4 of every one of your dc's education? Once you buy all 4 yearplans, you have full curriculum for history, literature, fine arts, worldview, government, philosophy, geography, writing and related projects for all your kids, for K-12.

Detailed comparisons or review appreciated, especially from those who have used the later TOG years.

I have taught to all levels of TOG. I can't say enough good things about it. The only thing about TOG that makes me sad is that it wasn't available when my oldest started school. We didn't discover and start using TOG until she was a high school senior (that's why we started with Year 4).

Thanks for the replies! I posted a related thread looking for people unhappy with TOG because there seem to be so many people who love it.

When I first looked at the classic, it seemed to click (although it was really huge and I don't think I'd use the writing stuff). I shelved it because of the price and thought I'd do it cheaper on my own. Plus, my husband calls me "malcontent." I'm never completely happy with something, I just can't seem to follow something without trying to make it "better," and I need flexibility. Many wasted hours and piles of paper later, I'm again looking at TOG.

I'm REALLY grateful that you guys told me that we'd be jumping into TOG in its busiest year, since we're headed into Year 2. Since we've already read lots of books on American history, I'm thinking that I might be able to make it work if I go for it.