Menu

Any Public School teachers from CA here? I have a somewhat silly question.

Is there a law that says teachers can't take pictures of their students for publishing purchases? For example, if a teacher were wanting to publish a curriculum that included worksheets and manipulatives, and wanted to include pictures of children using those manipulatives, is there a way he or she could legally take pictures of their own students using them to put in the book?

Kind of a silly question, I know, but it came up in conversation and I'm curious. :)

ETA: By CA I mean California. ;) Sorry!

Edited by Xuzi

As far as I know, using minors in publication/advertising can only be done w/the express written permission of the parents/guardian.

Whoops, sorry Imp, I meant PS teachers from California. I forget you guys use the same abbreviation up there. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: And what you posted has always been my understanding as well, but what I had heard was that they could NOT use the pictures, PERIOD. If the child was your student, then it's a no-go for using the picture in your publication.

Whoops, sorry Imp, I meant PS teachers from California. I forget you guys use the same abbreviation up there. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: And what you posted has always been my understanding as well, but what I had heard was that they could NOT use the pictures, PERIOD. If the child was your student, then it's a no-go for using the picture in your publication.

Interesting...perhaps b/c it could potentially identify the child?

Interesting question. I taught in CA for many years, but never had a blog or reason to publish students' pictures.

I know we did need parent permission for just about everything else! But I don't know the answer to your question! I can ask my friends though.

I am not a teacher, but I have kids in CA PS. We were asked on class picture day form if we would allow the school to use our kids photos for school purposes. On the other hand, teachers routinely post class and field trip pictures on class websites and I was never asked permission.