Menu

Another Menopause Question

Have any of you ever hit menopause without any real (big) warning signs? Just no periods, that's it. Maybe some extra crankiness, dryness, sweat more...but none of the raging hormones, hot flashes, heavy bleeds, etc that everyone talks about.

I had one hot flash. My mother had one hot flash. My sister didn't have any.

I started skipping for months at a time, got very light, and that was it. Only a third of women (or so I've read) have it "bad".

I know my mother seemed to have a fairly easy menopause (using just herbals). In fact, she became a more emotionally stable, happier person when she hit menopause.

I usually have my first menses at 12mos postpartum. Meg is about to turn 16mos. Not a sign of a period in sight! Yes, I'm still nursing, but it's more like her getting a drink, getting comfort, sipping, making sure it's still there, etc. I was still nursing with most of the others at this stage (just less than in the first 12mos...ditto here). She is eating (more like grazing) and finally taking a sippy (though she prefers to share my cup, just like she prefers to graze off of my plate rather than have her own plate).

Edited by mommaduck

Have any of you ever hit menopause without any real (big) warning signs? Just no periods, that's it. Maybe some extra crankiness, dryness, sweat more...but none of the raging hormones, hot flashes, heavy bleeds, etc that everyone talks about.

Each woman transitions differently, so you need to keep that in mind.

About 10 years ago my hormones were raging and I was a mess. The least little thing upset my apple cart. About that same time my ability to adapt to heat was greatly diminished. I remember one Christmas "week" putting on the a/c. OK, we do live in southern NC, but still.......:glare:

Several years ago my menses stopped. That was precluded by irregular periods and all of the above....mostly heat and hormone related.

Now that it's been a few years, each year "seems" to get a little easier. HOWEVER, I run warm all.of.the.time. The hot "flashes" that come out of nowhere have actually subsided, but now I just run warm. The weight I need to shed has also contributed to that.

As far as heavy bleeding....yes, you can experience that, but if it lasts too long you should be checked. Remember, your body is "transitioning"...so the heavy bleeding and the scant flowing are all normal. You may skip a month during your scant month phase until one month it completely stops.

HTH! Ice will become one of your best friends AND a/c, fans everywhere! :lol:

I have to see if I can get a visit covered by women's health. I have no insurance. Technically, I need to have another pap anyhow given the huge cervical cysts I had at the beginning of my pregnancy with Meg (one ruptured causing us to believe that we had miscarried). I also had had two miscarriages prior to my pregnancy with her.

My gf weaned her baby and never got her periods back. Just like that it was all over for her. It has been 5 years now and she has yet to have a hot flash or night sweat or any such problems. Me on the other hand, I've had all sorts of difficulties........

Talk with your doc or midwife......

My gf weaned her baby and never got her periods back. Just like that it was all over for her. It has been 5 years now and she has yet to have a hot flash or night sweat or any such problems. Me on the other hand, I've had all sorts of difficulties........

Talk with your doc or midwife......

Okay, so it wouldn't be unheard of then. You know, with all these kids, if this is what has happened, then it would be a true blessing :001_smile: A wee bit earlier than I expected, but a blessing (I'm 37yrs).

If you are only 37, it's highly unlikely you're going through menopause (not impossible, just unlikely.) Most likely the nursing is still keeping it away. I started PP periods at different times though I nursed them all about the same. There are so many things that affect when you resume cycles that it's difficult to predict when it will happen again.

I do agree that would be the most lovely way to go through menopause, but probably not at 37.