Menu

Is it true kids can't eat nuts with braces? Do yours do it?

The info that came when dc got their braces said no nuts. But we eat a whole foods diet and nuts are an important part. How bad is it really to eat nuts? I don't understand why they would hurt the braces!

Now, younger ds has a palate expander too-THAT I can understand not having nuts because stuff does get stuck up under there.

But older dd has just regular braces-couldn't she have nuts?

I ate almost all the stuff you weren't supposed to eat with braces and had no problems. The only things I couldn't manage were eating whole apples and eating corn on the cob.

My 14yo just got her braces off. Nuts were no problem (she ate lots of pecans and walnuts). Trident wasn't a problem either. She ended up getting too frustrated with how difficult it was to get popcorn out of her teeth, so she pretty much stopped eating it. She has been enjoying popcorn a lot since she got her braces off two weeks ago.

Nuts get stuck under the wires and in and amongst the brackets and can be a PITA to get out. I ate them anyway and just spent the extra time with floss and a water pik to get them out. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted with the exception of biting into whole apples, hard carrots, etc. I even ate popcorn. The only time I ever popped a bracket was chewing on a pen cap in middle school.

We eat a lot of nuts in our family too. Neither dd lost a bracket or bent a wire due to nuts. Even my dd with a palate expander ate nuts. The only nut I really worried about was almonds. I told dds to be very careful about biting down on them with their molars. We had a water flosser, which cleaned up under the palate expander.